Do you vest? Insulated or non insulated?

So I am going through some gear and thinking about thinning the herd a bit.

I have three puffy vests - an old north face down one, a Patagonia light puffy and a new kelvin lite puffy.

I also have a jetstream vest. I like it but not sure if it really suits me.

I have used the insulated vest for years. Nice warmth. Doesn’t add bulk to shoulders or arms so great for layering. The soft shell vest is a new thing for me and I am not quite sold. I should mention that I have a jetstream jacket that I wear quite often.

So, preach to me about the merits and wonders of sleevelessness, he roksliders.

rm06

WKR
I would like to try an insulated vest sometime. I have gone the merino, softshell and fleece route a couple of times without success.

At this point I'm afraid I wouldn't give it a shot given my previous experiences but it would be nice to have to couple with a puffy for cold glassing sessions.

I typically just wear a lightweight vest (Skre Hardscrabble Vest) with my Merino Wool shirt underneath that. Typically when I am walking I do not want to build up that heat. When I am in the stand I then use either my puffy jacket or other jacket over top pending on conditions. I really have not found a situation where i wish that I had a Puffy Vest. That may change though over time. I will however vouch for the puffy vest from Mountain Warehouse. I bought that for $50 and it came with a hood to boot. It is the warmest thing I own and is really my go to when I am in the shanty ice fishing. I really cannot wear it in the field because it it black and do not need to attract any unnecessary attention. This is just my $.02 though and you really need to do what works best for you.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a vest guy, all year long. A down vest, under my hunting jacket, is the smallest and warmest item I own, to keep my core warm. If real cold, I go for the lightweight down jacket. Freedom of movement and lightweight, always in the pack.

jspradley

WKR
I have a cheapo down vest I got at Sam's Club years ago and it's one of my go-to insulation pieces.

Work's especially well with an outer layer with pit zips for ditching extra heat.

I'm a fan.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a FL vest, and the Sitka Kelvin lite vest. Really like the Kelvin lite vest, keeps the core warm without adding bulk on my arms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Outdoor Research Transcendent Vest (close out $40)
don't leave home without it after Oct 1 or any elk hunt (Wyo).

I’m definitely a vest guy. Either wool (Filson) or down goes hunting with me most of the season after October. I’ve always been a vest guy. I love the range of motion. I also like that you don’t get crazy sweaty if your waking into an area with it on. Plenty of arm area to dump heat and breath. I only use soft shell vest for around town. I honestly don’t know that I’ve ever used one on a hunt. My Filson vest is one of my favorite pieces of clothing for pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Grab a vest before anything else. Have a Sitka Mountain I believe. It’s always on or in my pack. Keeps the core warm without binding shoulders.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I rock a windproof, soft shell vest all the time. Sometimes over just a long sleeve or T-shirt or over my wool sweater. It’s similar to the jet stream. I love it

There are two types of people in this world, ones that like vests and ones that hate them. It really is personal preference. I enjoy them, but on backpack hunts I go to them less because I like my mid layer to have a hood. On rifle hunts I do use a jetstream vest as a mid layer, but find that I don't use it all that often.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There are two types of people in this world, ones that like vests and ones that hate them. It really is personal preference. I enjoy them, but on backpack hunts I go to them less because I like my mid layer to have a hood. On rifle hunts I do use a jetstream vest as a mid layer, but find that I don't use it all that often.
Well, then, the Sitka Active hoody was made just for you lol. We asked for the active jacket with a hood, and they delivered, they just cut the sleeves off first!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kuiu guide vest is only one I use for hunting, but I could take the Filson wool liner out of my packer coat and use that. Only wear vest when not cold enough for a jacket and I already have 2 layers on (base and mid).

jolemons

WKR
The softshell vest imo isn't a weight worthy backpacking choice. I use it for truck hunting. They're handy for wearing over a puffy to add abrasion resistance

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with jolemons and one other poster earlier. Softshell vests and merino mid to heavyweight as a mid layer on a backpacking hunt dont make the warmth to weight ratio. Down or polyfill insulation are much more efficient. For me on my whitetail stands an backpack hunts. I do like vests so for early season hunts a lightweight down vest usually finds its way in my pack. For later hunts usually is a hooded jacket.