doe antelope

bnsafe

WKR
mornin guys. i just moved to colorado and am wanting to take my 2 kids to wyoming this fall to hunt doe antelope. they have never killed one and have frankly seen very few. any thoughts or ideas other than going to wy website to help me, ie otc public areas etc. i live about 40 miles south of cheyenne. thanks for any ideas. i will not be hunting, just the kids.

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Bnsafe, I was stationed in cheyenne for about 5 years. There are plenty of ranchers around cheyenne that sholud give you permission to hunt antelope on their place, especially for doe antelope. Make a trip up there early and introduce yourself and let them know what your interested in and its for the kids. That way you will know where to apply for as well. As far as OTC tags, there are none. You will need to apply but should have no problem with doe tags. If you have any questions on specific areas let me know..

Mckinnon

WKR
I have been looking into to doing a doe antelope trip to WY as well in the near future, and it seems to me that there lots of leftover doe antelope tags if you didn't want to apply. But if you don't apply you might end up with an area that you didn't want....

crumy

WKR
Bnsafe... I am guessin you you are probably between fort collins and wellington. I live in Laramie. I have not had as much luck hunting on ranchers as lastcall. Too many "bad apples" have really hurt the "good guys" in being able to get on places. Plus many ranches are owned by out of state people/corps and the ranch manager may or may not be able to let you on. However there are some hunter management areas that you can apply for and a contact list on wyoming game fish site letting you know who has registered with game fish.. I would recommend looking at the map and seeing how far you are willing to drive and then compare to the doe tags available. As mentioned above... there are no over the counter tags and after the fact there are some left over, but not many. The ones left over are usually in hard to hunt areas. (public access/ terrain / lack of goats)

I would also recommend getting a map that shows the public/private area for the areas you are looking at. Sportsmanwarehouse has them and Jax. Plus a GPS map that shows public private is very helpful during the hunt. Some areas may or may not have a does only tag. I would also encourage you to look at the areas along 287. They can hold quite a bit of antelope. Just let me know if you have ay questions. If I am available I would even be willing to take you and show you some areas. My son got his first antelope in 2011 . It was a great time taking them out.

Here are some sites to help you.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001080.aspx - antelope section of wyoming game fish

http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmprogram/frmHunterAssistanceHome.aspx - ranches that have registered to let you hunt

http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmprogram/frmHunterManagementHome.aspx - hunter management areas

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1000590.aspx - 2012 drawing odds

Topgun 30-06

Banned
I think if he starts calling ranchers between Casper and Gillette from lists that the G&F has and asks for the kids to hunt does that he will be pleasantly surprised that he will probably get a number of offers for free access. Bucks are a completely different story.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, i will start doing my research as soon as we get settled into the new house and out of this motel. like i said i will not be hunting but would love to get the kids in on a goat and i could care less bout the horns. i appreciate all the info.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
yep, i just did alot of looking from the links on the other post. i dont have a printer in the hotel room so i cant put together units with good draws vs public land etc. i may just call the g an f and see if they will give me some ideas. i move into our house later this mos so i should have a printer ready by feb so i can compare the units they have marked as hard to get access vs draw odds vs drive time etc. shoot i have no idea where the units even are at this point. i will figure it out but its gonna take me some time and more than i can do here.. thanks again for all your help. i do appreciate it

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
ok, im gonna appy this week. found a guy who will let the kids shoot does in either unit 50 or 52. i know my daughter can apply but my son is 11 and has not taken his hunter ed yet. it says they can apply if they turn 12 before the season starts but cant find anything about youth and hunter ed. anybody know. thanks