Doe Mulies in the Rubys

King68

FNG
Hey Folks, got my wife into hunting and we drew party tags for doe mulies in the Ruby Mountains of Nevada, units 101, 102, 109. We have 6 tags in our party, with my wife and buddy's wife obtaining their first tags. Looking for some suggestions at starting points. Planning on towing the camper and SxS while also bringing kids (ages 4,3,2,1), wanting to do a family fun camping/hunting trip. Tag is open 10/5-10/20, looking for some pretty country to hunt that can also be accessed via the SxS. Don't mind a few mile hikes, but not looking for a backcountry adventure. Planning on a scouting trip in Aug to develop a game plan for the hunt. Thanks for the input!

GeoHunter

FNG
That can be a pretty tough tag to hunt from a side by side, but doable. About your only options in the Rubies/East Humboldts are Secret Pass, Harrison Pass, Horse Canyon, or the few access points on the Ruby Valley side. 109 is pretty road accessible, but lower deer density.

Braaap

WKR
August will be brutally hot for scouting and you won’t see many deer in the easily accessible areas (which there aren’t many) that time of year. PM me for more specific info.

mickeyelk

FNG
A place I always saw doe was at Angel Lake. Camp in the campground at the bottom of the hill, drive up everyday, park in the first parking lot you come to and hit the trailhead to the north.

kurtiss00

FNG
I would set up camp on the east side around Harrison pass. Look for canyons on public land that have water that feed into private land alfalfa fields. Deer stream up and down these locations every morning/evening.

Okay dick head, I see what kind of hunter you are. I’ve probably hunted more states & over the counter tags then you have kills under your belt buddy. Please stay in California we don’t need you here with that bullshit attitude. As much as I want to succeed on my hunt, I want the same for others.
User name is fitting, here's all the advice you'll ever need for the Rubies, seriously:

Find the highest country possible, hike almost to the top and get to work with your binoculars. It really is that simple, the Rubies are some of the most classic high country mule deer hunts you'll ever do and fundamental high country hunting tactics work great there.