Does a brake on a silencer make a difference to recoil?

johwinz

FNG
My rifle has a standard silencer fitted. It does an awesome job at supressing sound. I also believe that recoil is less with the silencer fitted, but that might only be perception due to less noise?

This weekend i had a person next to me on the range, same calibre as mine. He had an internal muzzle brake and external muzzle brake fitted to his silencer. I was able to shoot his rifle, to me there was not a noticeable difference in recoil between my rifle and his. However his rifle was a lot lighter than mine hence more recoil in any event?

Now the internal brake to me makes no sense, as the muzzle blast has nowhere to go except out the front. The front brake i suppose could help, but it only has two ports?

Dunno, anyone with experience out there?

Make no difference, in my observations, with or with out the brake and the can. I run a quick disconnect/brake on my fifle with the can. It has nothing to do with recoil. I like a quick disconnect as a thread protector for my barrel threads...if my quick disconnect gets jacked up it's lot easier to replace than getting my barrel re threaded.

The brake at the end of the barrel is usually part of a quick detach mounting system. It also works as a sacrificial baffle to take some of the punishment of the muzzle blast before it hits your can. Is it going to provide any extra recoil reduction with a can mounted? Not much, although depending on brake/can construction it may smooth the recoil impulse. The brake works by using the exiting gasses to push the barrel forward, and this happens with the suppressor anyway.

The brake on the front will do the same with gasses exiting the can. Probably not good for your home defense rifle, probably not bad for the range or the field.

As stated internal breaks don't help with recoil. However they do help with noise suppression. The break helps redirect the gasses. The suppressor works by redirecting the gasses and slowing down the volume as it exits. The break aids in this process. Silencer student on YouTube does some pretty extensive testing.