Does a cot help side sleepers

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Backpack hunting

I'm a side sleeper and my sleep in the mountains suffers because of it. Anyone have experience using a cot and sleeping on side im thinking about getting one

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KitsapDan

FNG
I’m a total side sleeper. I have two cots, a Helinox Cot One and a Thermarest (see pic).

the Helinox is tight as a trampoline. To be comfortable on it I need to add some padding. That comes in the form of sleeping on top of my bag when it’s warm out. The quality of this thing is incredible. But… it’s not that compact as the Thermarest.

The Thermarest is pretty compact, light, and definitely has more give snd flex. Not as good a quality as the Helinox. And you’re closer to the ground too.

btw, I’m no “lightweight” so if you are, and you don’t want a super firm cot, don’t get the Helinox.

Attachments

• D6A1D335-80C4-4066-AFC1-5BE44C98C30A.jpeg
    D6A1D335-80C4-4066-AFC1-5BE44C98C30A.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 66
OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I am also a side sleeper and use a helinox cot. No issues here, I started with a thermarest cot but the cot had too many parts and too much give.
You use a cot then pad then bag right? The cot doesn't replace the pad?

CoStick

WKR
I prefer a quality pad, I keep the cot for cold weather and pair with pad.

Rich M

WKR
Cots are tough - some are comfy and most are too tight and hard. Pads help.

Might bring an air mattress and sleep on that.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Cots are tough - some are comfy and most are too tight and hard. Pads help.

Might bring an air mattress and sleep on that.
That'd be pretty nice lol

mlgc20

WKR
IMO, backpacking cots are pretty much useless. In most hunting conditions, you still need a pad. The pad is more comfortable anyway. The cot does keep your pad off the dirt in a floorless situation. But, a piece of Tyvek can do that at a fraction of the weight. I'm a side sleeper as well. When I've slept on a cot, it didn't improve comfort at all.

Legend

WKR
Get a 2.5 to 3 inch thick air pad. I like my exped but it isn't cheap or particularly light.

Skip the cot as i really can't see what the benefit is except for storing clothes/gear underneath.

rayporter

WKR
i can sleep on a large cot with an air mattress and an insulating pad. the helinox did not work out for me, just too small.

so in the long run i am better off with out the cot and using an air pad and insulation on top of it.

in deer camp i take a 3 in thermarest camprest and add an air pad on top of it.

CCooper

WKR
I am a side sleeper 100% of the time. I absolutely sleep like a baby on my Cabelas XL outfitter cot/ pad/ and bag. I'm a big guy, and the dog and I both fit on it- huge and bulky but works well for wall tent setups. I've honestly never had a bad nights sleep with this system.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Camp Time Roll A Cot when I am near my vehicle. I am a side sleeper and sleep great on it. I add a Thermarest scout into the cot for insulation.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Camp Time Roll A Cot when I am near my vehicle. I am a side sleeper and sleep great on it. I add a Thermarest scout into the cot for insulation.
What you do backpacking?

FLATHEAD

WKR
Wish I had a solution. I'm a total side sleeper and usually wake up around 2 am with my hips killing me.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Wish I had a solution. I'm a total side sleeper and usually wake up around 2 am with my hips killing me.
You tried a cot yet? Whats your body spec? I'm 6-01 215ish

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in my $.02 here. 100 % side sleeper here too. Have you experimented with how much air you put in your air mattress? I found for backpacking I would wake up with hip pain if the pad was too stiff. the problem was with a 2" air mattress, if I let enough air out to be comfortable, my hips and shoulders would be touching the ground. This year I've been trying out a Paria Recharge XL air mattress. At 4" thick I can fill it half way and be comfortable without touching the ground. Yes I'm paying a little weight penalty but if it allows me to get a good night's sleep it's worth it in my mind. I'm not trying to pimp Paria. There's probably other good pads out there that are 3-4" thick you could experiment with. I've only got 4 nights on this pad so far but so far it's really helped with the hip/shoulder pain I normally wake up with.

Mark.c

FNG
I use the Alps Ready Lite Cot. 5 lbs and comfortable with a sleeve for your pad so it does not move around as you move. Game changer for side sleepers. Stalk a sale.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Just bought a KC flexbow tent for the purpose of putting a Cabelas xxl cot in it.
I'm done sleeping on the ground.