Does any one use a car topper aluminum boat on rivers?

Elite

WKR
I’m hoping to do a spring bear hunt on a deep river in my area. The river is deep and wide. I am wondering if a 9.9 hp motor would go upstream on a river with 2 people and some hunting gear? Wondering what kinds of speeds is everyone achieving? Boat is just a simple 14 ft car topper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m no nautical expert, but I have a 6hp old Johnson that moves a 12’ aluminum boat with 2 big guys and gear quite well. I’d assume your 9.9 would be plenty

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I’m no nautical expert, but I have a 6hp old Johnson that moves a 12’ aluminum boat with 2 big guys and gear quite well. I’d assume your 9.9 would be plenty

Is that on a lake or river? Had a few guys tell me a 9.9 is useless on a river?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run rivers in the Ozarks for years in a 16' aluminum jon boat with a 9.9 hp Mercury, often with 4 adults, a 2 kW generator, 2 M59 light ballasts, and an aluminum gigging deck on board. But not all rivers are created equal...your (nautical) mileage may vary.

Vandy321

WKR
Take the dif between how fast the river runs and cruising speed of that boat in still water. If there is a positive net, you can probably make way up the river.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Depends on the river. I've run into trouble before in my jet boat with just me, a bull moose and my gear driving back against the tide with a 40jet. ID test it out somehow if I were you, maybe above a pull out or something with as much weight as you'd expect to be hauling. That would be a tough lesson to learn.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
My 9.9 pushes my 14’ klamath Jon boat about 25 mph. That’s faster than any River I would want to navigate

jlh42581

WKR
my buddies 20 on a 16' tracker with decks takes the two of us both over 200lbs up the juniata in spring flows no problem. I wouldnt wanna run any faster with a prop boat. Youre not gonna get flying for sure. Deep and wide id stay as close to shore as possible to run. Then cut over when you get there.

Rich M

WKR
I had a 14 ft cartopper V hull and used it for about everything with a 9.9 on there. Boat weighed about 100# and planed out well with that motor and another guy in there and duck decoys & gear. This is one of my never should have sold that boat rigs.

If it is rocky, you'll need a long shaft mud motor or a rock guard for an outboard. If it is just moving water, should be easier.

DON'T use a skinny, shallow john boat, you'll swim fer sure. We used to run 3 guys and 75 decoys with a 15 hp on a 14x32 john boat, had about 3 inches of freeboard but were hunting inside an impoundment - no way I'd do that on a pond or lake, or river.

How fast is the river moving and what is the rock situation? Test run in summertime sounds feasible.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve ran a 1950’s 9.9 evinrude with a 14 foot narrow Jon boat on the Mississippi River. Did it regularly for a summer, worked fine caught a lot of fish.

Not something I would recommend to a novice or someone who struggles to sit still.