Does anybody have experience with a inflatable jet boats?

Mt Al

WKR
I own two Kaboats and haven’t played with the jet on one, but instead have xhosen to run longtails or short shaft props.

I haven’t found the right longtail size yet, but thinking it’ll be a 9hp on the Kaboat.

Using my Kaboat with a 9.9 hp I can tilt and putt up some shallow creeks.

I’ve ran it with 2.5-20hp and will explore with a 15hp next season.

I’m considering a solar because of what I’ve witnessed them do, but the cost…may not really be worth it, considering where my Kaboat has taken me.

I replied to your later post first, but would also like to look into a longtail vs. jet for running up rivers. Price is right.

Didn't use my Kaboat once this year and it's the one 'outdoor' thing I wish I did much more of. Just fun, simple, works and easy to put in/take out solo.

Would love to hear about your 18' if you have the time.

Just on lakes in Montana. It's definitely not like a Lund or other fish/ski boat but the price is right! If I had a jet, would be running up the Yellowstone and Missouri.

Would love to hear about going to 15 to 18'.
Do you have a short shaft outboard?

Do you have a short shaft outboard?
Only short shafts. I refuse to run a long shaft. I’ve ran 2.5, 9.8, 9.9, and a 20hp 4 stokes as well as a 7.5 2 stroke on the 15. My speeds have ranged from 6mph to 22mph and decided to upgrade to a 18’ this season. Only ran the 9.8 though I bought a 15hp to try. The boats are limited on their top end speed because of the hull so you really won’t see a major advantage of the 15-20hp motors except with weight IMO.

Just on lakes in Montana. It's definitely not like a Lund or other fish/ski boat but the price is right! If I had a jet, would be running up the Yellowstone and Missouri.

Would love to hear about going to 15 to 18'.
Long story short. Stick with the 15…I’ll share why later. Though the 18 does have some advantages.

HuntinMD

FNG
Only short shafts. I refuse to run a long shaft. I’ve ran 2.5, 9.8, 9.9, and a 20hp 4 stokes as well as a 7.5 2 stroke on the 15. My speeds have ranged from 6mph to 22mph and decided to upgrade to a 18’ this season. Only ran the 9.8 though I bought a 15hp to try. The boats are limited on their top end speed because of the hull so you really won’t see a major advantage of the 15-20hp motors except with weight IMO.
Does anyone have experience on a long tail versus twister tail versus outboard jet on a kaboat? If so pros and cons please? The curved shorter shaft of the twister tail looks to have an advantage if the curved shaft will clear the rear end of the tubes. Kevin L

Does anyone have experience on a long tail versus twister tail versus outboard jet on a kaboat? If so pros and cons please? The curved shorter shaft of the twister tail looks to have an advantage if the curved shaft will clear the rear end of the tubes. Kevin L
I’ve used a few different longtails. I do plan on buying a twister tail this summer to give it a go again, unless I find that good deal on a longtail. I want to run a 9hp mud motor for next season since i will be moving to a shallow part of the river I’m on. More rocks. More bars.

HuntinMD

FNG
I’ve used a few different longtails. I do plan on buying a twister tail this summer to give it a go again, unless I find that good deal on a longtail. I want to run a 9hp mud motor for next season since i will be moving to a shallow part of the river I’m on. More rocks. More bars.
Thx Yukon! Really interested if curved twister tail shaft will impinge on rear tubes of kaboat when sweeping 180 degrees maneuvering. Also prop wear vs impeller wear and fuel economy for deep back country trips prop vs jet. Kevin

Thx Yukon! Really interested if curved twister tail shaft will impinge on rear tubes of kaboat when sweeping 180 degrees maneuvering. Also prop wear vs impeller wear and fuel economy for deep back country trips prop vs jet. Kevin
You may be surprised at how shallow you can go with a short shaft. I’ve been able to tilt the motor to where it’s barely in and still putt around. Not fast. But faster than paddling.

HuntinMD

FNG
You may be surprised at how shallow you can go with a short shaft. I’ve been able to tilt the motor to where it’s barely in and still putt around. Not fast. But faster than paddling.
Yukon, I’m getting ready to purchase a 16’ Kaboat outfitter triton with TBD motor in prep for late Sept lower Yukon unit 18 moose hunt. Plan is go up tributary far enough to get away from hunting pressure with enough fuel/ economy to hunt 10+ days and get back. I have one picked out. I suspect this will get quite shallow and skinny. Comments/ suggestions welcome. Also still looking for a partner.

Yukon, I’m getting ready to purchase a 16’ Kaboat outfitter triton with TBD motor in prep for late Sept lower Yukon unit 18 moose hunt. Plan is go up tributary far enough to get away from hunting pressure with enough fuel/ economy to hunt 10+ days and get back. I have one picked out. I suspect this will get quite shallow and skinny. Comments/ suggestions welcome. Also still looking for a partner.
I am up the Kuskokwim River in McGrath. Running my prop I was able to go very skinny and people were amazed at how far I went. I just didn’t go fast when it got shallow. I also have a rowing platform on mine but didn’t use my oars like I should have. I used one as a paddle.

I was getting almost 20mph with my 9.8hp 4 stroke. 53 miles on 3 gallons with 47 of those miles upriver. Speeds were 15mph up and 21 down.

The green boat (15’ original Alaskan) was a 8 day hunt in unit 13 with two guys. We were carrying the camp for our full party which was 6 guys so our tent was fairly large.

The grey boat is an 18’ bear mountain. I added the rowing platform for fuel savings. Plus getting a little higher up to see a little better

Attachments

• IMG_2958.png
    IMG_2958.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2973.jpeg
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 17

HuntinMD

FNG
Thx for sharing. Great info! Tried looking up bear mountain boats, but no info. Did you mean CMS bison? Ever think of building full length frame to stiffen it up further for higher speed travel?

Thx for sharing. Great info! Tried looking up bear mountain boats, but no info. Did you mean CMS bison? Ever think of building full length frame to stiffen it up further for higher speed travel?
Boat won’t go faster than 22-24mph. Hull speed. Its all science. 15mph is the sweet spot IMO with these.

This is based off 8 years running one.