Does anybody have experience with a inflatable jet boats?

Elite

WKR
Wondering if anyone has real world experience with the solar and strihz jet boats? Looks like they take them some crazy places from the videos on YouTube. Looking for a boat that can run skinny and shallow water and get some places for Hunting and exploring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Admission: I personally do not. However, I have a 15' KaBoat and a few people have put 20hp jets on them. Mine has an old 20hp Merc, not good for shallow anything.

They're like a skinny Zodiac-style and they go in stupid shallow water with a jet. If you google search "KaBoat XL with Jet" or something like that, you'll see a few examples. Beachbunny's mention of the alaska supersite will come up. From what I understand, it takes some time to tune the trim and height - and you have to make your own jack plate.

Check out the web site Mean Chicken. It’s for jet boating and there is a whole section on inflatable boats running small jets. A 12’ Zodiac with a 18 hp short shaft 2 stroke will go pretty skinny and are fun if the weight is kept down.
Edit: my 18hp is a prop not a jet head. You loose about 30% of total HP when converting from prop to jet head.
My river boat is a 20’ Wooldridge Alaskan II with a 225 HP Mercury outboard jet 2 stroke.

Last edited:

fatbacks

WKR
Wondering if anyone has real world experience with the solar and strihz jet boats? Looks like they take them some crazy places from the videos on YouTube. Looking for a boat that can run skinny and shallow water and get some places for Hunting and exploring

I have a solar 420 with an old Johnson 2 stroke outboard jet. Kinda like a super cub - You can go a lot of places that are hard to get into, but you ain’t going anywhere fast. I’m sure I could drop a bigger outboard on there but then I couldn’t set it up by myself.

If I was going to do a long range trip with it I would want one boat for every guy and their gear and animals (this is referring to the small 420). I set mine up with a rowing frame so I could float hunt as well.

Lastly, I wonder if solar boats will keep showing up in America. I think they’re made in Russia and not sure if any sanctions will affect them

c04194ec619ae2564044339be7d3a55c.jpg

I have a solar 420 with an old Johnson 2 stroke outboard jet. Kinda like a super cub - You can go a lot of places that are hard to get into, but you ain’t going anywhere fast. I’m sure I could drop a bigger outboard on there but then I couldn’t set it up by myself.

If I was going to do a long range trip with it I would want one boat for every guy and their gear and animals (this is referring to the small 420). I set mine up with a rowing frame so I could float hunt as well.

Lastly, I wonder if solar boats will keep showing up in America. I think they’re made in Russia and not sure if any sanctions will affect them

c04194ec619ae2564044339be7d3a55c.jpg

That is a sweet set up with the rowing frame!

mtbkr

FNG
Hopefully I'm not too offside by reviving an older thread... (Not enough privileges to send PMs yet.)

Fatbacks - how do you find floating with your 420 and rowing frame with 2 guys and gear? Is it fairly cramped even before getting an animal on board or not too bad?
I love this idea but I haven't used inflatables extensively at all. I know they have less room than an aluminum boat but not sure how big of a deal that really is.
I'm currently looking at a used 430 Superjet but am wondering if I'd be further ahead to accept a little more weight and go up to the 470.

(P.S. you're the first guy I've been able to find who has put a rowing frame on a Solar.)

mtbkr

FNG
We used a solar with a 30horse jet on my bear hunt. It was incredible on what that boat can do.
That's awesome.
Was that a 30hp at the pump motor or a 30/20hp jet?
Any issues once you had a bunch of weight in it? (Say a couple guys plus gear and maybe a bear?)

I've got a 430 SuperJet. I figure I can get on step with about 900 lbs total in the boat (counting the motor) with my 25 horse Yamaha. The motor weighs 130 lbs, so that leaves ~770 lbs of humans/cargo. My guess is you're going to run out of horsepower before you run out of physical space in the boat. You may be able to get on step with a little more weight using a 40 horse, but I wanted a motor I could lift on and off by myself.

In hunting situations, I haul myself and another hunter plus camp and I'm pretty close to maxed out. I'd plan on extra runs with any amount of meat or additional hunters. When fishing, I can haul myself and two others with fishing gear just fine.

As for rafting - the oarlocks that the raft comes with are barely functional. If you are planning any amount of rowing, I'd look into a frame like FatBacks has.

That's awesome.
Was that a 30hp at the pump motor or a 30/20hp jet?
Any issues once you had a bunch of weight in it? (Say a couple guys plus gear and maybe a bear?)
That’s two grown men and a bear. I wasn’t in it for this bear. We used it to haul my bear out as well. We had 3 grown mean and pretty big bear.
As for the motor it was a mercury 30hp pull start

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    658 KB · Views: 36

mtbkr

FNG
I've got a 430 SuperJet. I figure I can get on step with about 900 lbs total in the boat (counting the motor) with my 25 horse Yamaha. The motor weighs 130 lbs, so that leaves ~770 lbs of humans/cargo. My guess is you're going to run out of horsepower before you run out of physical space in the boat. You may be able to get on step with a little more weight using a 40 horse, but I wanted a motor I could lift on and off by myself.

In hunting situations, I haul myself and another hunter plus camp and I'm pretty close to maxed out. I'd plan on extra runs with any amount of meat or additional hunters. When fishing, I can haul myself and two others with fishing gear just fine.

As for rafting - the oarlocks that the raft comes with are barely functional. If you are planning any amount of rowing, I'd look into a frame like FatBacks has.
Thanks for this!
Is your Yamaha 25hp at the pump or at the powerhead?

Thanks for this!
Is your Yamaha 25hp at the pump or at the powerhead?
25 at the powerhead. Did two separate 50+ mile days last week on the Susitna River with a full load and averaged 6-7 miles per gallon of fuel. Ran up to 27 mph down stream, but had to seek out slower water going back up or I was stuck at 14-15 mph in the main channel. Could stay above 17 mph going upstream as long as I found slower/shallower water.

CJ AK

FNG

From the research I have done the Yamaha is a power head rating, so a 25hp would be 17hp at the jet. Tohatsu and mercury compensate for the jet loss. For example, a 40hp is really 40hp. Both use a 60hp power head.

Admission: I personally do not. However, I have a 15' KaBoat and a few people have put 20hp jets on them. Mine has an old 20hp Merc, not good for shallow anything.

They're like a skinny Zodiac-style and they go in stupid shallow water with a jet. If you google search "KaBoat XL with Jet" or something like that, you'll see a few examples. Beachbunny's mention of the alaska supersite will come up. From what I understand, it takes some time to tune the trim and height - and you have to make your own jack plate.
I own two Kaboats and haven’t played with the jet on one, but instead have xhosen to run longtails or short shaft props.

I haven’t found the right longtail size yet, but thinking it’ll be a 9hp on the Kaboat.

Using my Kaboat with a 9.9 hp I can tilt and putt up some shallow creeks.

I’ve ran it with 2.5-20hp and will explore with a 15hp next season.

I’m considering a solar because of what I’ve witnessed them do, but the cost…may not really be worth it, considering where my Kaboat has taken me.

Hopefully I'm not too offside by reviving an older thread... (Not enough privileges to send PMs yet.)

Fatbacks - how do you find floating with your 420 and rowing frame with 2 guys and gear? Is it fairly cramped even before getting an animal on board or not too bad?
I love this idea but I haven't used inflatables extensively at all. I know they have less room than an aluminum boat but not sure how big of a deal that really is.
I'm currently looking at a used 430 Superjet but am wondering if I'd be further ahead to accept a little more weight and go up to the 470.

(P.S. you're the first guy I've been able to find who has put a rowing frame on a Solar.)
I’m looking at solar and regular zodiac set ups right now. I want to go faster than my Kaboat and have a little more room than either of my Kaboats offer.

I’d take the heavy lifting power with limited floor space over a Jon boat with more room.

If you are in MatSu I know a guy that makes frames pretty darn affordable.

Ultimately, I’ll probably get an Achilles and a 40hp (though the 30hp tohatsu weighs 120lbs).

Where are you running yours?
I went from a 15 to an 18’ this moose season. Pros and cons.

Might just post a thread detailing this past hunting season.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A friend has one of the smaller Solars, we ran up some really skinny water, running over log jambs and through some very shallow stuff.

I don't have much experience with it, but it will certainly get you up some tight streams.

Mt Al

WKR
Where are you running yours?
I went from a 15 to an 18’ this moose season. Pros and cons.

Might just post a thread detailing this past hunting season.

Just on lakes in Montana. It's definitely not like a Lund or other fish/ski boat but the price is right! If I had a jet, would be running up the Yellowstone and Missouri.

Would love to hear about going to 15 to 18'.