Does anyone carry a weapon light on their bear gun?

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide,

I usually carry a Glock 20 in a kenai chest holster in griz country.

I recently got a stream light TLR 1 hl for when the glock is on my nightstand or in my truck.

I'm a little apprehensive about getting another kenai with room for a light because of:

1) weight - when I'm in the field I always have a headlamp available, so a big ol weapon light seems a little redundant.

2) comfort - I wear my gun behind a bino harness and would hate for the added bulk/weird shape of a light bearing holster to ruin the good thing I have going on.

Do any of you folks carry a flashlight on your gun when you are in the field?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, it's hard to search "weapon + light" on a website full of oz counting sheep hunters.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I don't -- I also have a G20 10mm and just don't see it as worth the weight. I've also got TLR1 and while there's a lot I like about it, weight, aesthetics, it just seems to sit off the gun more than on. So in that sense, I didn't see it as worth getting another holster.

I know the TLR1 doesn't weight much but honestly, it all adds up. I think did 250 real mountain miles last year and I just feel every few ounces. It's gotten to the point where I use 10 round mags with fewer rounds just to keep things light. I also don't like my chest all cluttered with binos and gun, I just run a holster off my pack and bring an extra for my belt.

Surefire xc1 on a glock 20, though I don’t hunt in brown bear country on the regular.

TLR-1. Nothing nice about hearing something huff at you when you are hiking out in the dark...I prefer to be able to see what I need to be pointing at...but I am running on a belt rather than on the chest. With a drop / offset holster it clears my pack belt and so it's not that noticeable.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Every gun I carry whether concealed or in the woods has a light on it. Half the time is dark, something goes bump I want to be able to light the world up. As to how it’ll affect your carry setup, I’m not sure, I use a different system but today most well made kydex holsters that are light bearing do not add much bulk and typically zero width.

Headlamp+hand held light+pistol with laser is a deadly combination for most circumstances. I dont like the fact that to shine on something with the pistol light you have to point a loaded barrel at it. Seems safer and easier to carry the light separately or use a headlamp.

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Headlamp+hand held light+pistol with laser is a deadly combination for most circumstances. I dont like the fact that to shine on something with the pistol light you have to point a loaded barrel at it. Seems safer and easier to carry the light separately or use a headlamp.
FWIW you don't have to muzzle whatever you intend to illuminate 100% of the time. Most handgun lights have more than enough spill to allow you to have the muzzle off target and still illuminate the threat. Thats my TLR-1 on the right and you can see its clearly illuminating a target at 7 yards while being pointed several feet in front of it.
a3f8c3a4d01f896cc73fdd675782899f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I cannot imagine carrying a pistol in bear country without a small but powerful light like PNWGATOR posted a picture of. In fact, if the pistol will take such a light, why not have it for anytime it might be used at night. I get the headlamp thing; but when I am awoken at night by a bear huffing and popping it's jaws (like I have been), I want to grab my pistol and be good to go if the bear decides to rip through the tent, of if for some reason I feel I need to leave the tent at a moments notice and go into the dark.

I have a TLR7 on my xDM 10mm, 2.5oz. It has a Trijicon RMR Type 2 optic also, 1.2oz. Ounces do add up to pounds but thats a lot of help in the dark for under 4oz.

hodgeman

WKR
I don't carry a light on my handgun, but I've got one on my shotgun. When stuff goes bump in the dark out in the woods, more light is mo' better. Unlike in a residential setting, I'm not particular worried about muzzling a bystander in the woods.

I'm convinced I ran one grizzly off by lighting up an alder patch like Atlanta International while recovering a moose.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I absolutely see the value in having a light on your bear defense pistol. Especially at night when you wake up to a noise outside the tent. It would be easier to grab the pistol than to fumble around for a headlamp.

That being said, I don’t and never have had a light for a pistol.

I have a TLR-6 on a Glock 17 and just received a new Razco holster molded for that combo. It’s slick. Holster grip is firm, but still comfortable to draw. Other than the extra few oz., there’s not difference. Happy to have the light/laser.

KBC

WKR
Jealous of you guys being able to carry a handgun...

I have a Mossberg 590 Shockwave that I put the Mesa AR stock adapter on and just mounted a Streamlight TL Racker as well. It's already been mentioned but I'd rather fumble with as few things as possible in the dark so having a light mounted on the gun is a no-brainer.