Does anyone carry a weapon light on their bear gun?

WTFJohn

WKR
Any gun that could be used defensively should have a light on it for target ID. I use a custom kydex holster mounted to the body-side of my bino pouch to hold either a full size pistol with a TLR7A or a sub compact with a TLR6. Once I got used to the initial fit, I haven't thought twice about the weight or size.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I have a light on my camp shotgun but don't have one on my Blackhawk! haha

Shraggs

WKR
no i don't, don't like the challenge of carry with them on. when traveling non hunting, just add an olight quick attach for hotel nightstand.

but, in bear country i always sleep with my head lamp on, and gun on, - so i have a light, and my g20sf has a laser max.. i like this setup better for me, as it allows for scanning with light without always having a muzzle pointing with it.

mcseal2

WKR
I had Razco make my holsters for my bear guns to also fit a TLR-1 Streamlight weapon light. The holsters fit and work great. If I was doing it again I'd probably go with a smaller, lighter, recharge-able O light. Anytime I'll be packing the weight of the pistol, I'll be packing the weight of the light on it also. Even getting out of the tent to take a leak at night having a pistol and light in one package is convenient.

Yep. Glock model 40 with a Streamlight TLR HL. A light on a bear gun is amazing. There's been a few times I've heard something snap in the dark and I was able to light up the night.
Last year there was a rogue black Angus bull where we were elk hunting. No other cattle around. Definitely a little spooky hearing a big animal like that in the dark lol. But luckily the Streamlight let me identify it before doing a mag dump.
Also makes a handy backup light if the headlight dies.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I too think the extra light source would be worth the weight and bulk given the circumstances under which a bear gun would be needed.

For everyone opting for a light, what brand of holster are you using? Especially those with aftermarket sights. Any fit issues or are majority of people going custom?

I’m waiting on a Gunfighter Inc Kenai for the X300 light to be made.

Just got my Glock 20 10mm back from being milled for an RMR, and they Cerakoted it while it was there too.

A1706A81-8A93-4BA3-953D-9313D4059FA2.jpeg

Last edited:

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
This is an older post, but I thought I’d share a recent event that happened to me a week ago in Alaska, and why I was grateful for having a bright TLR1 on my Glock 20. Long story short, a raft I was in on a small creek flipped over, forcing me to stop, get a fire going, get dry, and spend the night on the river bank. About 9pm and I hear some branches snap. Getting just dark enough that I can now see some movement on the riverbank with me and knowing I have moose meat 15 yards from me, I pull my pistol, light it up with the streamlight to see the biggest grizzly I’ve ever seen 25 yards and moving towards me. Started yelling at him and he luckily took off. He definitely didn’t like being blinded and being yelled at lol. This is where it gets funny (looking back, not so funny at the time) did my best to sleep that night, kind of hard after a situation like that. 2am and I wake up to the loudest splash in the river. I slowly open my tent, expecting to see this bear dragging moose meat across the river or destroying my raft. I pop out of the tent with my light on on my pistol and see nothing. Another loud splash…a beaver slapping it’s tail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk