Does anyone hike with their hunting packs?

R_burg

WKR
Yeah, but it goes the other way... For quick, one day stuff I'll grab my Arcteryx Brize. I considered all the small hunting bags, and I would have gained very little but they were 3x the price... And there are features of the Arcteryx I prefer the hunting bags didn't.

However, if I ever take a back country ski trip, it will give me a great excuse to buy an Avail.

Mt Al

WKR
Yes, MR Selway for everything. Lots of great manufacturers, bags, etc.,. Full respect for those who have piles of packs, but I just want one, pre packed with my kit, good to go immediately. Works for me.

Mbieri1

FNG
Does anyone double dip and hike with their hunting bags? I live in the Canadian Rockies (Calgary) and was hoping to supplement my hiking packs with bags that could be used for hunting.

So I have a 22 litter and 65 litter osprey hiking packs. If I adde a 45 litter and 85 litter light weight hunting pack with load shelf. I’d be set.

Has anyone else done this?

I was looking at Stone glacier, exo mountain, and seek outside.

I like the mystery ranch gear but super heavy.

Any thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a kifaru AMR and use it every time I hike, hunt and scout.

bozeman

WKR
Yep, used the SO Unaweep 4800 all last week in CO hiking on spring break. Packs down nicely in 'day pack' mode................worked great in Sand Dunes & Rocky Mountain National Parks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
After looking at hiking packs yesterday I think I want one. Something about the simplicity without sacrificing its ability. For backpacking, scouting, hunting, training my hunting pack will still get the nod.

Every day as part of my fitness regimen however; I live in So. California where hunters are despised and viewed as backwards, uneducated, Neanderthals. So I wear a pack cover to hide the camo.

b9527edc-8962-4de9-98cc-e1127367f2be_zps987c725f.jpg

Last edited:

JClark

FNG
I have a SG 5900 and it’s not only my go to pack for hiking and hunting, but I also travel at least once a month for work and it’s my go to piece of luggage, holds a ton and fits in an overhead!

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm not a hunter and bought a Seek Outside Revolution 6,300. I have tons of packs too including several very expensive ones. I only use two. My SO 95% of the time and an 8oz Cuban-fiber ZPacks daypack when I'm doing more of a day race up and down a mountain.

I had to come to a hunting website and buy a pack designed around hunters to get my dream pack for hiking. I love my SO!

If I'm going very far from the truck I'll hunt with my MR metcalf so I can save a trip before grabbing the meat hauler. If I'm hiking less than a mile I find it way more comfortable to use a small day pack with more pockets for the days necessities.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I don't anymore, but I have 3 other packs. I have Kifaru with the bikini frame, got it from all the hype when the frame first came out . As for the bag its very well made, the frame sucks. I got it as to their specs. One it's a 24 frame, even though that's what they said I should get it's to short. Two, it's not comfortable, 1 day I swapped packs with guy that was hiking a skiing resort to get in shape like I do. His bag was way more comfortable and solid, I believe it was a sitka.. Three, if I don't pack it right it will poke me in the back. So for just non hunting hikes I use a cheaper pack that works better most of the time, but still use may hunting pack from time to time. Ed

Shraggs

WKR
Work so much have had time to fun hike in some time, but I do train in one of my hunting packs. Original nomad with tactical frame and hanging meat bag to hold bag of sand. It also doubles as my work bag for carrying equipment carry, set and trim tree stands.

My tahr on bikini is my day thru 3 day hunting pack. I will use that for snow showing with my kids so I have extra layers and fun food for them.

jc91

FNG
I don’t know what kind of backpacking you do, but when I’m not hunting I like to be ultra light. My backpacking bag weighs 18oz, my Kifaru weighs approximately 5 lbs (80 oz). My backpacking bag is unquestionably more comfortable at the weights used for normal backpacking. The hunting backpacks only really show value over backpacking bags over 30 lbs, below that they are less comfortable, way too burly/not flexible (especially if you are scrambling, etc), and obviously heavy.

Anyone who tells you their expensive hunting backpack is just as good if not better than a high quality backpacking bag doesn’t know what they are talking about. That’s coming from a guy who owns an expensive hunting backpack.

Different gear is better in different applications. You just need to decide where you choose to draw the line for your gear being acceptable for any given situation.

Just buy the hunting packs you want and keep your ospreys for backpacking.

Beckjhong

WKR
I used to be a bag hoarder. A different pack for every outing. Finally sold everything and bought a SO pack as a one and done. I like having a high quality frame, and it shrinks down well for a daypack, or I can just take the talon.

I use both my MR terraframes for hunting and backpacking because it has the overload shelf option and is from the backpacking line rather than the hunting line. My old man has always told me that they are going to make a backpacking pack better than they would a hunting pack but in this day and age with all the new stuff I’m not sure how true that is?

ZachB

Lil-Rokslider
Almost always hike with my hunting pack. But 7000ci can be overkill for a small day hike so I run an old REI pack I have.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know what kind of backpacking you do, but when I’m not hunting I like to be ultra light. My backpacking bag weighs 18oz, my Kifaru weighs approximately 5 lbs (80 oz). My backpacking bag is unquestionably more comfortable at the weights used for normal backpacking. The hunting backpacks only really show value over backpacking bags over 30 lbs, below that they are less comfortable, way too burly/not flexible (especially if you are scrambling, etc), and obviously heavy.

Anyone who tells you their expensive hunting backpack is just as good if not better than a high quality backpacking bag doesn’t know what they are talking about. That’s coming from a guy who owns an expensive hunting backpack.

Different gear is better in different applications. You just need to decide where you choose to draw the line for your gear being acceptable for any given situation.

Just buy the hunting packs you want and keep your ospreys for backpacking.

Makes sense. I do like my stone glacier for blurring the lines but there’s probably better for the extremes.

Bozz

FNG
No reason not too. It's plenty comfortable with less weight than usual