Does anyone hunt with a 26” barrel and suppressor?

It would be for open country mountain style hunting. Does anyone have experience with a suppressor on a long barrel (24-26”)? Is it cumbersome?

Specifically looking at the browning max long range, already have a lightweight/short rifle to be used for the thick timber hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm hoping its not too unreasonable because I have a TBAC 338 ultra on its way for my 338 RUM with a 26in barrel.

I'm sure its going to feel big but it sure is nice to have that rifle when you get lined up on an animal.

Whisky

WKR
I've been hunting for a few years with a 24" barrel and TB 30p-1. Mostly open terrain.
This year I had it on an elk hunt in the mtns and told myself that I will leave the can at home in that situation again. Weight and balance suck, and it is cumbersome. I ended up having worse case scenario shot; off hand, in timber, after running up hill. I sure noticed the can on the end at the time of that shot.

I have a new rifle being built with a 26" barrel and already have a brake ordered for it. I've never ran a brake before. So we will see which I prefer. I do really love shooting suppressed., and intend to keep using it in more open, non mtn terrain. The brake could maybe change that, we'll see.

z987k

WKR
I think it depends on what kind of terrain you're hunting and distances. If it's inside 400yards, I can't see why you'd need the velocity a longer barrel gives. If you're hunting in any kind of brush, thick trees or alders, you're going to want the short barrel. But I also mean to even hike through trees and alders.
If it's all open long range prone hunting, run the long barrel.

I run an 18.5 and 20in barrel in my 6.5 and 3006 respectively. The 18.5" balances better offhand and it came factory threaded. Both are lethal out past 500yards for what I hunt with them for and I've never had to take a shot that far before, but maybe you do.

Last edited:
OP
T
I think it depends on what kind of terrain you're hunting and distances. If it's inside 400yards, I can't see why you'd need the velocity a longer barrel gives. If you're hunting in any kind of brush, thick trees or alders, you're going to want the short barrel. But I also mean to even hike through trees and alders.
If it's all open long range prone hunting, run the long barrel.

I run an 18.5 and 20in barrel in my 6.5 and 3006 respectively. The 18.5" balances better offhand and it came factory threaded. Both are lethal out past 500yards for what I hunt with them for and I've never had to take a shot that far before, but maybe you do.

What kind of speeds are you getting from the 3006 and 20” barrel? Reason I’m asking is I’m looking to get the ft lbs and velocity around at least 1000 TYD and 1800 FPS at 800 yards

I’m not stuck on 26” barrel, it’s just that the browning max long range only comes with a 26” barrel. I like everything about that rifle except the barrel length

z987k

WKR
What kind of speeds are you getting from the 3006 and 20” barrel? Reason I’m asking is I’m looking to get the ft lbs and velocity around at least 1000 TYD and 1800 FPS at 800 yards

I’m not stuck on 26” barrel, it’s just that the browning max long range only comes with a 26” barrel. I like everything about that rifle except the barrel length

I'm getting about 2630fps from the 178gr eld-x factory loads. I'm about to start hand loading for it, hopefully get that up a bit.

OP
T
I'm getting about 2630fps from the 178gr eld-x factory loads. I'm about to start hand loading for it, hopefully get that up a bit.

Those numbers gets me real close to my objective.... From my experience it’s hard to get close or above the velocity of high quality factory ammo. But I’m a somewhat new reloader

Sadler

WKR
I hunted with my 26” 300 PRC with a TBAC ultra 7 on it in northern Idaho this year. It wasn’t horrible but the one thing that got really annoying was how front heavy it is. I like to hike with my rifle in my hand so it took some getting used to. If you sling it over your shoulder I don’t see that being an issue but then you have to deal with it snagging on everything. I started putting it in the kifaru gun bearer during steep climbs and that seemed to help out a lot.

edit
I should add that I don’t plan in doing that again and am building a 20” rifle now.

Last edited:

bmicek

WKR
So I shoot almost entirely suppressed. And I always had the dilemma of having a cumbersome long barreled rifle with a suppressor hanging off the muzzle. I wanted 24-26” barrel velocities but I didn’t want to add another ~8” of suppressor on top of that. Although not everyone is going to want to consider a single shot, I felt like the solution to my problem was a TC Encore. With the absence of an “action” I could have a rifle with a 26” barrel and after adding the suppressor, it would still be the length of a standard 26” rifle. I was worried about accuracy but honestly my TC Encore/Contenders have been as accurate as other factory rifles.

fatbacks

WKR
Just finished a hunt in SE Alaska with my 24” barrel with a suppressor. Way too long for that terrain in my opinion. That said I really liked hunting with a can. I think I’m going to look at a 18”-20” barrel build for a dedicated can rig and I’ll most likely do a 300 WSM

OP
T
Just finished a hunt in SE Alaska with my 24” barrel with a suppressor. Way too long for that terrain in my opinion. That said I really liked hunting with a can. I think I’m going to look at a 18”-20” barrel build for a dedicated can rig and I’ll most likely do a 300 WSM

I too enjoy shooting suppressed but I was thinking today...

On the long shots that this type of rifle (somewhat heavy at 8.1lbs, large scope, adjustable check rest,etc) is going to be for, why would I need to shoot suppressed when I have more than ample time to put on electronic hearing muffs so I can communicate with my hunting partner while also having ear protection.

I’m thinking my suppressor is much better suited for my 22” 270 win that would be used on closer hunting where I may not have the opportunity to put ear plus in

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
I do, and it is! Open country it isn't bad, but as soon as you hit the timber, it becomes painful. In addition, you are almost guaranteed to be front heavy, so try out several different carries before you start your hunt.

Attachments

• 20201104_165008b.jpg
    20201104_165008b.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 110

z987k

WKR
I too enjoy shooting suppressed but I was thinking today...

On the long shots that this type of rifle (somewhat heavy at 8.1lbs, large scope, adjustable check rest,etc) is going to be for, why would I need to shoot suppressed when I have more than ample time to put on electronic hearing muffs so I can communicate with my hunting partner while also having ear protection.

I’m thinking my suppressor is much better suited for my 22” 270 win that would be used on closer hunting where I may not have the opportunity to put ear plus in

That's how I look at it. If you're hunting where you actually need a 800 yard shot and a magnum rifle that weighs a crap ton, well in that country and in that scenario, you'll have all day to do whatever prep you need to take the shot.

Those numbers gets me real close to my objective.... From my experience it’s hard to get close or above the velocity of high quality factory ammo. But I’m a somewhat new reloader

I've seen some handloads from some people for the 06 and some varrying bullets that make me thing there's some energy being left on the table with the shorter barrel and factory ammo. I think if I was running a 24" barrel, there wouldn't be much left, but with the shorter barrel I think a different powder, faster burning might be able to get some velocity back. I actually just ordered some absolute hammers and hope the hype is true on those. Just need to find some RL16.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR

Before I decided to just run my 3006 that I already own, because once I was honest with myself, it will kill everything I hunt, I abondoned this idea, but a month or so ago I was going to build a 20" 300wsm. I think that cartridge has the potential to no loose all that much velocity out of a shorter barrel, less than the wm.
I think it's a great idea, and I'd be curious to see what you come up with and what results you get from it.

z987k

WKR
So I shoot almost entirely suppressed. And I always had the dilemma of having a cumbersome long barreled rifle with a suppressor hanging off the muzzle. I wanted 24-26” barrel velocities but I didn’t want to add another ~8” of suppressor on top of that. Although not everyone is going to want to consider a single shot, I felt like the solution to my problem was a TC Encore. With the absence of an “action” I could have a rifle with a 26” barrel and after adding the suppressor, it would still be the length of a standard 26” rifle. I was worried about accuracy but honestly my TC Encore/Contenders have been as accurate as other factory rifles.
I looked at doing this to at one point at well. I'm curious what caliber you're shooting and where you're hunting for what, what that weighs. I'm on the fence on a break action. I was told that a 300wsm was too much for the encore "action".

bmicek

WKR
I looked at doing this to at one point at well. I'm curious what caliber you're shooting and where you're hunting for what, what that weighs. I'm on the fence on a break action. I was told that a 300wsm was too much for the encore "action".
I live in Kansas. I’ve done it with my 45/70 encore for shooting a heavy bullet slowly. My plan was to do it with my 7mm Rem Mag Encore as well but I just haven’t got around to having it threaded. If a guy was serious about cutting weight and money wasn’t a concern, I’d look at MGM to have a custom barrel made. Maybe a thinner contour with a fluted barrel. They shoot VERY good.

z987k

WKR
I live in Kansas. I’ve done it with my 45/70 encore for shooting a heavy bullet slowly. My plan was to do it with my 7mm Rem Mag Encore as well but I just haven’t got around to having it threaded. If a guy was serious about cutting weight and money wasn’t a concern, I’d look at MGM to have a custom barrel made. Maybe a thinner contour with a fluted barrel. They shoot VERY good.
Ya, I contacted MGM about doing one in 300wsm, they said they'd seen too many pressure issues with that caliber.

Once I got my suppressors I gradually made sure all my guns have 18-22" barrels to keep length down.

I hunt with a 300WM with a 26" barrel and a 7" suppressor. It feel long to me.

I never had a problem with it hanging anything but it does feel cumbersome and if you were in any kind of brush it would be a pain. I have tossed around the idea of cutting it down to 20-22". I read an article earlier today where someone had cut 1" off of a 24" barrel and chrono'd it after every inch all the way down to 16" I believe. He lost on average 40 fps per inch.

I'm going to look at the numbers but I feel like mine will eventually get cut down. Being a hunting rifle and something I carry around I feel like giving up the speed for the length and the weight is probably worth it.

I had a 24” 6.5 prc with a 10” can last year and thought it was too long, but I was successful with it. This year I have a 21” 300prc and it’s much better.

Right now I’m shouting a 215 hybrid @ 2850