Does anyone hunt with a 26” barrel and suppressor?

Ya, I contacted MGM about doing one in 300wsm, they said they'd seen too many pressure issues with that caliber.

I think it’s primarily a case diameter issue. Encore barrels are limited to a max 1” diameter shank so the wider the case, the less meat remaining around the chamber.

OP
T
Wondering why not just remove the can for hiking and pop it on when you set up to shoot?

For me that would defeat the purpose of the can which is to protect my ears or quick shots where I can’t put ear plugs in quick enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with a 24” and I did not like the length so I had a 20” gun built

ChrisAU

WKR
Debating on if I want to put my can on 24" 6.5 PRC I have coming today. The brake add 2" or so, and my can is 6". So it'd add about 4". Decisions decisions.

prm

WKR
I think I’d up the cartridge and shorten the barrel. I hunted with a 26” barrel once. Not a fan. Simply all negatives, no positives for hunting with really long barrels. Perhaps if you had a very unique need for a very long range rifle it may be necessary, otherwise there are better tools.

Maz7869

FNG
I hunted with my 26” 300 PRC with a TBAC ultra 7 on it in northern Idaho this year. It wasn’t horrible but the one thing that got really annoying was how front heavy it is. I like to hike with my rifle in my hand so it took some getting used to. If you sling it over your shoulder I don’t see that being an issue but then you have to deal with it snagging on everything. I started putting it in the kifaru gun bearer during steep climbs and that seemed to help out a lot.

edit
I should add that I don’t plan in doing that again and am building a 20” rifle now.
Did you build the 20” gun on a PRC as well if so how did you like it? I have the same can and was planning a 26” barrel

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 26” with suppressor, would i do it again? NO but it’s not worth having the gun rebuilt IMO. The can is on a quick disconnect and that’s what I do, just put it on when the time comes-I’m not much into snap shooting so not an issue for me so far.

Lawnboi

WKR
So many variables when it comes to balance. If your putting a one pound can on the end with a light scope on a light gun and walking through the brush, it’s going to suck.

If it’s something light, or you have a heavy rifle and or scope to balance it out, it’s not bad. My longest is a 24” however. With an 8” can it’s a little ridiculous, that said 4” dosnt make much of a difference either on my other rifle. To me balance plays a much greater role than overall length. I can deal if it’s balanced.

Part of me wants an ultra 5 gen 2 for a super light option for rifles with already nose heavy balance.

Last edited:

cfossen

FNG
I run a 24" barrel on most of my rifles and a can on top of that. My latest favorite can is the Thunder Beast Arms Dominus. only add 6" to the overall length and quieter than a 9" can.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The biggest thing to take into consideration is the hunt that you are going on. For my chassis, I have an 18 inch 6.5 PRC and a 28 inch 7 Mag. If I wanna go to the high country and glass all day on a rock I put the hammer in there that I know I can dump a deer or elk at a grand with. If I want to go hunt low in the oak brush, I am not packing that thing around (have done it too many times). If you have the funds build yourself two barreled actions for two applications so you can have the best of both worlds. It also doesn't help that my can is almost 10 inches long so that 7 mag is a brute to carry around.

Sadler

WKR
I built an 18” 6.5 PRC that’s in an XLR chassis. Just ordered another chassis from them for my Defiance anTi XM action. I’m thinking about putting a 16” 300 WSM barrel on that one. I may do another 6.5 PRC though. Not sure yet.

Tried it not a fan. I have a 300 WM with a 26" barrel...Put a carbon fiber stock and a few other mods including a break...took a snap shot and didn't have time to get my ear pro on...won't do that again. Got a can for it and felt like I was hunting with a Kentucky long rifle, generally just a PIA. Tried to hunt and only put can on when needed the POI impact shift with and without the can was too much for me to be comfortable hunting with it. Gave up on it...its in the back of the safe. Picked up 18" FC in .308..with my can it has solved 95% of my needs. Haven't looked back.