Does anyone know of an alternative to the Kifaru Bane pack or Kifaru Guide Lid that could be used to carry fishing gear?

mikekry

FNG
I have a Kifaru Dall pack and will be using it for a long term fishing trip in northwestern Montana in the very near future. I need to find a way to carry my fishing gear in a way that it will not cause my pack or other gear to smell like fish because I will be in grizzly territory. The Bane pack would be an excellent solution and a guide lid would be a sufficient solution but both of those are unavailable for 2-4 weeks due to lack of inventory.

Does anyone know of a different pack perhaps from a different company similar to a Bane pack that could be mounted on top of a Dall pack or perhaps a guide lid from a different company that could hold fishing gear ?

PS - I am an ultra-light fly fisherman so I don't need a big pack or guide lid.

mcr-85

WKR
How about a tarahumara or junction from hill people gear? I'm thinking you could remove the shoulder harness and store in in the bottom of the pack and then attach the pack like a lid. Then reattach the harness and use it like a daypack. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
Mcr-85,

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of the Junction pack from HPG. I just watched a video describing it's capabilities here:

I think you are right that it would probably do the trick but I would need to make sure my boots and waders and everything else would fit into it. The nice thing about the Bane is it has that expandable side/back pouch that can hold pretty big boots. I guess if I bought a Junction pack I would have to store everything inside of it.

Do you have any idea how I would attach a HPG pack onto a Kifaru pack ? Would I need to buy belts and buckles or perhaps those three bar sliders that Kifaru uses to attach their pockets ?

Thank you very your help.

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
Damn. I just went to check availability on the Junction pack and it is not available in a color that matches my pack.

oldhorse

WKR
Tactical Tailor makes one. It's called the 'Fight light removable operator pack'. It a little over 1100ci. Designed to mount to their larger military-style pack. I have used one as a lid on my Mountain Warrior for several years now. It is a more functional and comfortable day pack than the Guide Lid. It's a bit pricey. A Ranger Green or Coyote Brown model is about $198.00.

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
Oldhorse,

Thank you for responding. That "Fight light removable operator pack" looks like a great possibility.

How do you attach it to your pack ? With belt and clip or with those three bar attachments that Kifaru uses ?

The website says the pack comes with "2 sets of attachment hardware are included" but doesn't say what type of hardware so I have no idea if it will attach to my Kifaru Dall pack.

oldhorse

WKR
I use Kifaru Guide lid straps to attach it to my Mountain Warrior. The hardware it comes with is designed to mount it to a military style pack with molle webbing on the back

OP
M

mikekry

FNG

oldhorse,​

Did you have to buy the Kifaru "Guide Lid And Compression Kit" for $21.00 ? Did both your Kifaru bag and your Tactical Tailor bag have the attachment points for the "Guide Lid And Compression Kit" or did you have to add them?

oldhorse

WKR
I already had a sh!tload of extra straps and buckles when I set it up. I can PM you some pictures tomorrow if that works would be helpful.

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
Oldhorse,

Yes, thank you. Please do send me some photos of the attachments. Thank you.

mcr-85

WKR
Mcr-85,

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of the Junction pack from HPG. I just watched a video describing it's capabilities here:

I think you are right that it would probably do the trick but I would need to make sure my boots and waders and everything else would fit into it. The nice thing about the Bane is it has that expandable side/back pouch that can hold pretty big boots. I guess if I bought a Junction pack I would have to store everything inside of it.

Do you have any idea how I would attach a HPG pack onto a Kifaru pack ? Would I need to buy belts and buckles or perhaps those three bar sliders that Kifaru uses to attach their pockets ?

Thank you very your help.
Sent you a PM

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
The Umpqua ZS2 Wader chest pack will attach to your PALS rig on any pack and then you can run it as a waist pack or attach it to shoulder straps as a chest rig. I ran mine for 5-days in the Wind Rivers on my 14’r. Worked great.

sndmn11

WKR
I have an umpqua pack I can send pictures of if you would like. Otherwise, I have seen a few Seek Outside Merlins on the classifieds here and they might have them in stock as well.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
If you put a wanted add on here and on Kifaru insiders on FB theres a very good chance somebody has a bane, guide lid, or native theyd be looking to sell. They no longer make the native but that would also be a good option for what youre looking for.