Does Anyone NOT Take a Picture Anymore?

I take a lot of digital pics fishing/hunting/outdoors and do like to share with just friends and family. I don't do facebook, and never post them on other social media like (gasp!) rokslide anymore. that's just my style to each their own. tip I read somewhere for hunting pics - always include your weapon in the shot

bbell

WKR
My wife does a little photography for people now and then and is always carrying her canon around. It may be morbid but she’ll take a great photo and say this is one you would show at a funeral. She has taken a few pics that have ended up in celebration of life/funerals and it can be so healing seeing your loved ones enjoying life or remembering so memory. I’m sure we all have that photo that we cherish of a loved one. And as mentioned print them out!

I'm curios on if there's anyone out there, that doesn't take a picture of their animal or fish?

Absolutely not knocking anyone for taking a picture of their kill. I do myself but only share with close family and friends. Some of my dinks I just take a quick pic, and file away on my phone. I've caught plenty of steelhead that I've released without a photo too. Though, if I ever get a good sized animal, I'd like to take some decent photos for once and not just a crappy insta-pic.

Is there anybody who doesn't even pull out the camera in this day and age?
Me. I’m often alone. I’m often a good deal of work away from camp or the truck. So, I just don’t take them much.

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
I am by myself 99% of the time and find taking pictures as an annoyance that takes me out of the moment and ruins the genuiness of it all. I will take a few pictures of my animal, but try to get it out of the way as quickly as possible so I can get back to the real task at hand. On the other hand, I love looking back through old pictures as a way to spark my memory or to share with my boys once I get back from a trip. After that they go on the hardrive, never to be seen by anyone else. I hope to eventually make some photobooks. When I do take my boys on a hunting/fishing trip with me, I find myself taking a ton of pictures of them though!

I've never had any social media, and probably never will, but I do send pictures to my hunting family members on occasion. Mostly to celebrate the hunt or to get them motivated to get out and hunt more. I am a little turned off by the "look at me" attitude, but I try not to let what others do bother me. I am not ignorant enough to say that there is a right or wrong way. Just do you, and hopefully not just for the glory.

Toolbox

FNG
Generally photos are limited for me. I try to strike a balance of "being in the moment" taking mental photos and snapping some actual pics along the way to refresh the memory down the road

OP
O
I am by myself 99% of the time and find taking pictures as an annoyance that takes me out of the moment and ruins the genuiness of it all. I will take a few pictures of my animal, but try to get it out of the way as quickly as possible so I can get back to the real task at hand. On the other hand, I love looking back through old pictures as a way to spark my memory or to share with my boys once I get back from a trip. After that they go on the hardrive, never to be seen by anyone else. I hope to eventually make some photobooks. When I do take my boys on a hunting/fishing trip with me, I find myself taking a ton of pictures of them though!

I've never had any social media, and probably never will, but I do send pictures to my hunting family members on occasion. Mostly to celebrate the hunt or to get them motivated to get out and hunt more. I am a little turned off by the "look at me" attitude, but I try not to let what others do bother me. I am not ignorant enough to say that there is a right or wrong way. Just do you, and hopefully not just for the glory.
These are my feelings in a nutshell.

One of my really good fishing buddies does irk me a bit because he NEEDS to have a pic of every single fish he catches....sometimes to the detriment of the fish (talking steelhead mostly). I hardly ever take a picture of a wild steelhead or salmon as I want to get it off the hook and away ASAP. Hatchery I don't mind the pics as much.

We have a hunting camp with 4 owners (each of own adjacent property, one of which has a cabin on it). One of our camp rules is that you must weigh every deer taken and take pictures of every buck. At the end of every year, we put together a hunt log that is printed and is kept in the cabin. We have them dating back to 2008. It is a great tool to gauge how our management strategy is going as well as to use for story generation during the longer fall evenings late in the season.

We also have a very strict rule of "No social media". If any of our hunters or guests post pics of their deer/bear/turkeys that were taken on that land, it is an automatic one-year ban from hunting there.

I take some pictures BUT I'm usually more focused on the task at hand. Mostly take pics of my kids. Sometimes there's just a cool pic you need to take b/c you realize they aren't going to be with you forever. I NEVER shares on forums. Send to the wife and she may share with some family. I don't entirely get the need to share/post everything. I'm not a social media nut and I don't need likes for my mental well being/dopamine rush. The experience does it for me. I get it on some level I have 2 teenagers and it's the norm for a lot of younger folks. This is how they interact with their world. They need the constant pats on the back (likes)?? IDK. SMH.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
My first tuna and my first teer were nothing to write home about but I was damn proud and bragged.

Many tuna since then and only 1 picture since. 178lb BFT definitely deserved a pic, beat the kite tuna and was absolutely an amazing fight.

My next deer will prob be a photo for friends but I'll have to wait to draw lol

Sapcut

WKR
I take pics of animals I am fortunate enough to harvest but never with me in the picture.

I think it would be an inaccurate implication of the reason for the picture.

Wags

WKR
When I'm old and broken those will take me back to when life was an adventure.

Yup.

I know how much the pics of my Dad, Grandfather and Friends in the field mean to me. I know that the pics and memories of our trips will matter to my kids and grandkids someday so I am mindful to take what I can. I'm almost never in them myself but the older my kids (and I) get the more I take.

I take lots of pictures while hunting and fishing. But not a lot with the birds/animals/fish in them.

I personally find grip and grins/limit shots pretty uninteresting, so I don't typically take many of them.