Always tune or shoot the thing!

• Shoot the thing!

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Tune!

Votes: 55 85.9%

• Total voters

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I dont think an animal will notice the 5-8fps difference. If its even that high.

Doesnt have anything to do with FPS gain. Not trying to be a jerk but your showing what you dont know.

Again it have everything to do with nock travel which is your arrow coming out of the bow straight and true.
Fact an arrow flying straight without fletching correction will have the KE of the arrow squarely behind the head and maximize penetration.

the guy has 5 days before season, some people dont have the time.

Absolutely, a tuned bow is better than a not tuned one. Im not arguing that at all. I took 2 years to get my bow properly dialed and confident in my shots before I even went hunting for the first time.

I save my trolling for the lakes.

It doesnt take that much time or have to be that complicated. He could probably clean it up with moving his rest a 1/16. 14/16 or 12/16 instead of a perfect center shot of 13/16 I wouldnt even sweat. Although we cant really even advise without knowing what bow he is shooting.

Few weeks ago a fellow I was helping gained 6" @ 60 yards after tuning.

His arrows had been fishtailing a bit coming out of the bow, broadheads right of fieldpoints by 6-7" at 40 yards.

Once he was tuned correctly his 60 yard was hitting 6" higher. That's how much energy that arrow was loosing getting straightened out, not to mention it likely still wasn't impacting perfectly straight at 20 and under.

N2TRKYS

WKR
No maybe not but you do make sure your broadheads and field points hit the same. That is still tuning.

That’s correct, but he asked about paper tuning. I don’t remember ever having to move my rest to get them to group together, though. Nonetheless, I’m not gonna hunt without knowing that my arrows are flying correctly. I just don’t do the amount of tuning alot of folks do on the interwebs.

Zac

WKR
That’s correct, but he asked about paper tuning. I don’t remember ever having to move my rest to get them to group together, though. Nonetheless, I’m not gonna hunt without knowing that my arrows are flying correctly. I just don’t do the amount of tuning alot of folks do on the interwebs.
Yes we're all well aware that the laws of physics and archery don't apply to you.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yes we're all well aware that the laws of physics and archery don't apply to you.

You don’t like perfect arrow flight? Perfect arrow flight and broadheads hitting with my field points is what I’m after. Not sure why that bothers you.

Zac

WKR
You don’t like perfect arrow flight? Perfect arrow flight and broadheads hitting with my field points is what I’m after. Not sure why that bothers you.
There are a few people on here that either lie about their results, or simply do not fit the bell curve. Is it possible that you never touched your bow and are able to keep ultra tight groups with your NAP Thunderheads at 60 yards? I suppose it is. I also suppose that alot of game is taken with untuned equipment. However the people that are successful with very little effort in archery are the few. One would be wise to listen to the majority instead of the outlier.

N2TRKYS

WKR
There are a few people on here that either lie about their results, or simply do not fit the bell curve. Is it possible that you never touched your bow and are able to keep ultra tight groups with your NAP Thunderheads at 60 yards? I suppose it is. I also suppose that alot of game is taken with untuned equipment. However the people that are successful with very little effort in archery are the few. One would be wise to listen to the majority instead of the outlier.

If it’s a bell curve then the outliers are the few on each end of it, with the middle being the majority. Why would you want to keep doing something when you’ve already accomplished your goal? Do you keep looking for something that is lost after you’ve found it? Lol

If you have to do more to get your setup to shoot correctly, then so what. I hate that you’re having so much trouble. Good luck this season.

Venom One

WKR
I think part of what's lost in this conversation is where a person lives. If you live in the country or have a big yard, then practicing, tuning and shooting regularly are no big deal. You walk out the patio door, fling some arrows for 20 min, or tinker for an hour on a weekend, then go back to your normal daily routine. You can do that daily with little impact on your day or family. You have no concept of what it's like for folks who live in town and have to drive an hour or more to shoot. Going out to shoot for them means a minimum of 1/2 of the day and lots of burned gas. It's easy to berate them for not having "dedication" or being uncommitted, or not caring about animals, but in truth they would love to shoot and tinker more; it's just not practical or even an option for some.

Zac

WKR
I think part of what's lost in this conversation is where a person lives. If you live in the country or have a big yard, then practicing, tuning and shooting regularly are no big deal. You walk out the patio door, fling some arrows for 20 min, or tinker for an hour on a weekend, then go back to your normal daily routine. You can do that daily with little impact on your day or family. You have no concept of what it's like for folks who live in town and have to drive an hour or more to shoot. Going out to shoot for them means a minimum of 1/2 of the day and lots of burned gas. It's easy to berate them for not having "dedication" or being uncommitted, or not caring about animals, but in truth they would love to shoot and tinker more; it's just not practical or even an option for some.
This is a valid point. Also equipment factors into this. I have a bowshop with probably ten k of equipment in my house. I also have access to a 40 yard indoor range that is 24/7. This is why I like what Bowtech and Elite are doing with their bow designs.

TxxAgg

WKR
I've shot thousands of arrows inside an apartment.

We live in town with a small yard now, and I can still shoot to 24 yds. It doesn't take much space for basic tuning.

TSAMP

WKR
I've shot thousands of arrows inside an apartment.

We live in town with a small yard now, and I can still shoot to 24 yds. It doesn't take much space for basic tuning.
You may very likely breaking the law. Depending on your municipality. Some have updated the discharging of "projectiles" as apposed to firearm within city limits. I've blown through a 3d target and a 6 ft privacy fence so I finally quit shooting in my backyard. So that isn't great advice.

I'll admit after the points about optimal arrow flight to maximize penetration. Im on the tune your bow wagon. I was only thinking about accuracy when I made my first statement.