Always tune or shoot the thing!

• Shoot the thing!

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Tune!

Votes: 55 85.9%

• Total voters

TxxAgg

WKR
You may very likely breaking the law. Depending on your municipality. Some have updated the discharging of "projectiles" as apposed to firearm within city limits. I've blown through a 3d target and a 6 ft privacy fence so I finally quit shooting in my backyard. So that isn't great advice.

I'll admit after the points about optimal arrow flight to maximize penetration. Im on the tune your bow wagon. I was only thinking about accuracy when I made my first statement.
A little common sense goes a long ways.

TSAMP

WKR
A little common sense goes a long ways.
I agree with that. Somthing goes wrong, Sombody gets hurt. Whos the A-hole? Guy shooting in town in the yard. All it takes is a early release or a broke d loop to send an arrow where it wasn't intended.

Retuning isn’t that hard. I just put a new string and cables on the other week. Set timing and cam lean. Shoot some shots to let the string settle and recheck timing.

I bs paper tune in basement at 18 feet because I live in city and I couldn’t shoot 20 yards if I had the room to. That takes two evenings because I only shoot 15 arrows or so a night. First night is tune, 2nd night is confirming the tune.

Then I just check my sight and make sure my pins are good. At that point I go right to broadhead tuning and there typically isn’t much work for that to happen.

I could probably get that done within 3 days if I really wanted to without getting too fatigued from shooting. Others probably could do it in a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think part of what's lost in this conversation is where a person lives. If you live in the country or have a big yard, then practicing, tuning and shooting regularly are no big deal. You walk out the patio door, fling some arrows for 20 min, or tinker for an hour on a weekend, then go back to your normal daily routine. You can do that daily with little impact on your day or family. You have no concept of what it's like for folks who live in town and have to drive an hour or more to shoot. Going out to shoot for them means a minimum of 1/2 of the day and lots of burned gas. It's easy to berate them for not having "dedication" or being uncommitted, or not caring about animals, but in truth they would love to shoot and tinker more; it's just not practical or even an option for some.

That just sounds like I can't tune, so I won't. Plenty of guys live in flat ground, they find ways to train for the mountains.

You think it's a good idea for someone to boresight their firearm, but since they don't have space to shoot it or verify zero or dope that they are then ok to hunt anyways?

Archery hunting is supposed to be something that takes time and dedicated, guess nobody does that anymore.

I can't fault anyone too much for adjusting their sight to match broadheads instead of actually tuning their bow. I bowhunted for 15 years before I knew what tuning a bow meant. "Broadheads just fly different than field points" is what I was told when I started bowhunting, so I would shoot field points all summer, screw on my 3-blade Muzzies a few weeks before opening day, and adjust my sight as needed.

Once I learned what bow tuning was and how/why to do it, I dove in head first and now meticulously tune every bow/arrow combination I hunt with. I probably wouldn't be as meticulous about tuning if I couldn't walk out my back door and shoot to 100+ yds anytime I want, but I'd still find a way to perform at least a basic tune. Paper tuning is okay for getting close and has the advantage of requiring very little space to perform, but bareshaft and broadhead tuning at distance will ensure a better tune.

Adjusting your cams would be the "correct" method of fixing left-right issues but will require a press unless you have one of the newer bow models with press-less cam adjustability (e.g., Bowtech Deadlock or Elite SET). A quicker/easier means of adjusting your left-right tune would be to move your rest windage in small increments until field points and broadheads (or bareshafts and fletched shafts) hit together.

OP
F
I work 70-80 hours a week. Kids and a family. It’s not easy getting everything f perfect all the time. I did what I could paper tuning tonight.. keep going? Or Leave it alone and screw the broad heads on?

A0287450-AC34-4AA8-BE52-AD8ECA89E280.jpeg

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I think part of what's lost in this conversation is where a person lives. If you live in the country or have a big yard, then practicing, tuning and shooting regularly are no big deal. You walk out the patio door, fling some arrows for 20 min, or tinker for an hour on a weekend, then go back to your normal daily routine. You can do that daily with little impact on your day or family. You have no concept of what it's like for folks who live in town and have to drive an hour or more to shoot. Going out to shoot for them means a minimum of 1/2 of the day and lots of burned gas. It's easy to berate them for not having "dedication" or being uncommitted, or not caring about animals, but in truth they would love to shoot and tinker more; it's just not practical or even an option for some.

For recreational shooting sure.

But we are talking about tuning here. You make friends on forums like this and others and at your local archery range. There is probably someone within an hour of you that could help you tune your bow and have you smacking shafts in less then half a day. Billy Goat does it in his area. I have done it for a select few in mine. There are lots of us like zack with thousands of dollars of equipment to build arrows and tune bows. You dont need all of it to do it unless like us you just like messing with bows. Most archery guys are more then happy to help out other archery guys.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I work 70-80 hours a week. Kids and a family. It’s not easy getting everything f perfect all the time. I did what I could paper tuning tonight.. keep going? Or Leave it alone and screw the broad heads on?

View attachment 329839

Screw the broad heads on and shoot a broad head arrow followed by a fieldpoint at 20 a couple times and they at your maximum hunting range a couple times and then micro adjust your rest.

This is a valid point. Also equipment factors into this. I have a bowshop with probably ten k of equipment in my house. I also have access to a 40 yard indoor range that is 24/7. This is why I like what Bowtech and Elite are doing with their bow designs.

I was thinking the exact thing. I just finished tuning my new Elite Kure w/ their SET tuning system. UNBELIEVABLE! If you’re not a tuner/tinkerer, give this a shot. Shooting bare-fletched arrow pairs, I made correction for tail left, then slight tail right, then busted a nock. That’s 3 ends, 2 shots each and never had to leave the my practice area or press the bow! Too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I did what I could paper tuning tonight.. keep going? Or Leave it alone and screw the broad heads on?
Leave it alone, put your BH's on, and do a little BH tuning. You'll get instant feedback as to what you're doing and where your tune is at. The further out you can shoot them......the better that feedback and adjustments will be.

Reactions: Zac
OP
F
Leave it alone, put your BH's on, and do a little BH tuning. You'll get instant feedback as to what you're doing and where your tune is at. The further out you can shoot them......the better that feedback and adjustments will be.
i am going to have to watch a broad head tuning video..

OP
F
ok so can i use practice tips or should i use the real mechanical heads? i would use these broadheads then buy another set to actually hunt with.

ok so can i use practice tips or should i use the real mechanical heads? i would use these broadheads then buy another set to actually hunt with.

I have seen the practice heads fly different. I'd be using the actual broadheads. If they pass out the back of your bhead target, unscrew them before removing the arrow.

OP
F
that video is making want to go back to my slick trick magnum fixed heads and ditch the mechanicals.

OP
F

View attachment 329839

do you feel this tear is slighly nock high still? should i raise the rest a tad, or leave it and start broad head tuning..

i guess the broad head tuning will show right away if that rest needs to be raised.