Always tune or shoot the thing!

• Shoot the thing!

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Tune!

Votes: 55 85.9%

• Total voters
OP
F
ok so with the broad heads i am basically making the same adjustments that i am with the paper but based off where the broad head impacts vs the field tip

ok so with the broad heads i am basically making the same adjustments that i am with the paper but based off where the broad head impacts vs the field tip
Yes. For example, broadhead impacting below field point indicates that the arrow is leaving the bow nock high, which would produce a high tear through paper, and suggests the same adjustments as a high tear (i.e., raise rest, lower nocking point, advance bottom cam, retard top cam). The Gold Tip chart I posted previously shows the bareshaft and broadhead POI equivalents of each paper tear.

Venom One

WKR
That just sounds like I can't tune, so I won't. Plenty of guys live in flat ground, they find ways to train for the mountains.

You think it's a good idea for someone to boresight their firearm, but since they don't have space to shoot it or verify zero or dope that they are then ok to hunt anyways?

Archery hunting is supposed to be something that takes time and dedicated, guess nobody does that anymore.

Well, I have great news for you - I can tune, I did tune and I will tune some more. I bought an Elite Enkore this year so I could do exactly that. I don't claim to be an expert tuner, but I can put arrows consistently where I want them. My post was a reflection of my own frustration with my limited yard size and the realities it places on my opportunities to practice and tinker with my bow. The post reflected my understanding that many others face the same challenges I do and I empathize with them. I do take issue with people who criticize others because they don't spend every waking minute breathing bowhunting. For those who love it and make it their life's passion - great, more power to you. But don't insist that everyone else has to ascribe to the same rituals or they aren't worthy of snorting some fletching glue. We as hunters should obligate ourselves to dispatch our game as humanely as possible and tuning plays a role in that endeavor. But let's avoid the snooty attitude of "I'm better than you because I have a 1000 step tuning process".

Well, I have great news for you - I can tune, I did tune and I will tune some more. I bought an Elite Enkore this year so I could do exactly that. I don't claim to be an expert tuner, but I can put arrows consistently where I want them. My post was a reflection of my own frustration with my limited yard size and the realities it places on my opportunities to practice and tinker with my bow. The post reflected my understanding that many others face the same challenges I do and I empathize with them. I do take issue with people who criticize others because they don't spend every waking minute breathing bowhunting. For those who love it and make it their life's passion - great, more power to you. But don't insist that everyone else has to ascribe to the same rituals or they aren't worthy of snorting some fletching glue. We as hunters should obligate ourselves to dispatch our game as humanely as possible and tuning plays a role in that endeavor. But let's avoid the snooty attitude of "I'm better than you because I have a 1000 step tuning process".

I'm not saying you need to do a thousand step tuning process. In your post you said it was too much trouble, too far to travel.

Archery hasn't always been for everyone, it's been made a lot easier, glad you found something that works for you.

But not having the time is not an excuse for not tuning your bow.

nphunter

WKR
I believe wounding rates for vertical bows is off the charts right now. Maybe it always has been. Anyway I assume non tuned bows has alot to do with it. Also Bowtechs at shops don't do near enough education when selling new archery equipment to new hunters. This is why I have a soft spot for RF. He's one of the few that sees this issue and what it may mean for the future.

I think the second part is true, I honestly haven't seen a huge accuracy loss in an untuned bow. I assume the majority of the hunting community (east of the Rockies) are shooting mechanical heads too. An untuned bow will still do the same thing every time, you may have to move your sight around to line up with where your broadheads and they wont group with field tips but they will most of the time group together as long as there are no contact issues anywhere and the shooter is using the same arrow setup for each shot.

I have seen a pile of people shooting bows that do not fit them at all and I believe that contributes more to accuracy loss than an untuned bow. Just yesterday I saw a guy on a hoyt group trying to figure out why he was shooting so far to the left. Looking at his picture his d loop was back by his ear and his string was pressed against his face past his nose, this was with a brand new 2021 hoyt, his local shop told him that because his sight ran out of sideways adjustment they needed to order him a new sight with more adjustment.

I gave him my opinion on shortening his 30" draw and shooting without face pressure and was essentially told he has never been able to shoot with his nose on the string and that he has always shot that draw with no issues. I told him he has always been doing it wrong and if he didn't want real advise he shouldn't have asked.

Anyway, I have seen so many issues with people and poor form, shot execution, or just not knowing they shouldn't shoot 4 different walmart arrows all with different heads from their bow. I've watched guys show up with a stack of arrows at the range and start shooting, they will hit the dirt with their 1st 4 broadheads at 20 yards and when one hits the target they grab it and say "found my #1". A lot of shops are only out to make a buck and sell what they have, even if it doesn't fit properly and almost every shop I've seen will try to sell something they have to a person even if it isn't perfect.

Even with all of the inconsistency in archery, I believe the #1 cause of wound loss is buck fever and poor judgment. I watched my 15-year-old shoot low and clip a small buck right across his brisket this last weekend. He can stack arrows all day long at 60+ yards on the range and his fixed broadheads shoot right with his field tips at 50 yards. He totally air-balled his first shot and didn't even spook the buck, I told him to calm down and make a good shot, I ranged the deer and he still totally whiffed the shot, the worst part is that I was shaking worse than him and I didn't even have a tag:)

Reactions: Zac

Beendare

WKR
I don't think its an arrogant, "I tune and you don't" thing.

I think its the insights that guys who have a tuned setup and perfect arrow flight have....

They see so many guys wounding animals and making bad shots knowing that if these guys spent a few minutes tuning....a lot of that wouldn't happen.

>

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I'd re sight in at 20 and then Walk back tune first. Once that is good see if your broadhead is hitting with field points.

I don't think its an arrogant, "I tune and you don't" thing.

I think its the insights that guys who have a tuned setup and perfect arrow flight have....

They see so many guys wounding animals and making bad shots knowing that if these guys spent a few minutes tuning....a lot of that wouldn't happen.

>

Lots of guys really do just screw broadheads on and go hunt, never even shooting them before.

The package says it flys like a field point.

To me, that's the problem.

Venom One

WKR
I'm not saying you need to do a thousand step tuning process. In your post you said it was too much trouble, too far to travel.

My post does NOT say that at all. It says we can't shoot as much as we'd like. Meaning we'd prefer to shoot more and certainly would if it was more convenient. I 100% believe that everyone should tune and practice until they can reliably dispatch game - we owe the animals that much. All of us should find it unacceptable to just go fling arrows willy-nilly; that should be a given - though we all know there are some who do just that. My initial post was aimed at the "High Horse" folks who like to denigrate and belittle anyone who doesn't shoot or tune as much as they do (or at least claim they do). It wasn't intended as an excuse for poor arrow flight or marksmanship.

Rob5589

WKR
If you don’t want to tune, start shooting traditional.
I'm just getting into a single string bow and let me tell you, trad guys are always tuning. Honestly, it seems more complicated than tuning my compounds!

I definitely tune now but didn't in the beginning. I would spin on a Thunderhead, spin the shaft, and if no wobble, go hunting. I'm thinking the slower speed, less violent cams, and heavy xx78 shafts, made for a more forgiving set up.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I definitely tune now but didn't in the beginning. I would spin on a Thunderhead, spin the shaft, and if no wobble, go hunting. I'm thinking the slower speed, less violent cams, and heavy xx78 shafts, made for a more forgiving set up.

Did those arrows fly straight?

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
I believe wounding rates for vertical bows is off the charts right now. Maybe it always has been. Anyway I assume non tuned bows has alot to do with it. Also Bowtechs at shops don't do near enough education when selling new archery equipment to new hunters. This is why I have a soft spot for RF. He's one of the few that sees this issue and what it may mean for the future.
Unfortunately most shops don’t have any techs with enough knowledge to tune or educate anyone. It’s likely the driving reason most of us bought presses and learned to tune on our own. I was tired of being told that moving the rest until you get a bullet hole was the holy grail. I 100% agree that it seems wounding rates are getting excessive it seems. Out of curiosity who is “RF”?