Does anyone one not tune?

Always tune or shoot the thing!

• Shoot the thing!

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Tune!

Votes: 55 85.9%

• Total voters
Does anyone just sight there bow in and hunt? Or do you always paper tune it before sighting in it?

I had my bow restrung and and changed my vane set up and I am shooting 3 inches to the right of where I was origallly was.

season is in 5 days. Do I go and retune the whole thing or just adjust sight and hunt

big44a4

WKR
Does anyone just sight there bow in and hunt? Or do you always paper tune it before sighting in it?

I had my bow restrung and and changed my vane set up and I am shooting 3 inches to the right of where I was origallly was.

season is in 5 days. Do I go and retune the whole thing or just adjust sight and hunt

At 20 yards 3” off? Hell ya running through paper and tuning usually takes all of 3 minutes if you have everything.

Mackerel

FNG
Always tune. You paid all that money for your setup and not tuning is like buying a Lamborghini and racing with unbalanced tires that are out of alignment. Having a bow not in time and arrows having to correct the entire time it is in flight is super inefficient. If you don’t want to tune, start shooting traditional.

Always tune. You paid all that money for your setup and not tuning is like buying a Lamborghini and racing with unbalanced tires that are out of alignment. Having a bow not in time and arrows having to correct the entire time it is in flight is super inefficient. If you don’t want to tune, start shooting traditional.

Sorry, but it's a real misconception that trad is easy or you don't tune.

Wheel bows are easy.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't tune a hunting bow, ignorance is bliss I reckon.

Mackerel

FNG
Sorry, but it's a real misconception that trad is easy or you don't tune.

Wheel bows are easy.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't tune a hunting bow, ignorance is bliss I reckon.
I didn’t mean for that to come off condescending, yes my ignorance is too big to hide. Just making the point that bows like any other form of mechanical advantage perform better when setup properly.

I didn’t mean for that to come off condescending, yes my ignorance is too big to hide. Just making the point that bows like any other form of mechanical advantage perform better when setup properly.

Just my reaction to always hearing that compounds are too complicated, I'll just shoot a recurve....

They seem simple on the outside, but then realize how much goes into them.
And it was only the first sentence aimed at your response.

Who is going to admit that they just screw on a BH and hunt? Though many do…and many shoot mech heads reasoning these will shoot like their FP’s, ugh no, not always.

I dont understand why a guy would roll the dice like that, we have to work too hard for our shots.

FWIW, Paper tuning FP’s is only 1/2 way there for a bowhunter….

"But I shoot Rage, don't need a broadhead target."

TSAMP

WKR
"But I shoot Rage, don't need a broadhead target."
I feel triggered...

For real though. Midwest whitetail hunter mostly here. I paper tune my bow, but that's it. I practice with broadheads whenever I introduce a new one. I had to use fixed blade this year for Idaho. They flew fine out to 40 for me so I moved on.
I dont test every arrow or nock tune/broadhead tune like some of you here. Perhaps that's contributed to some error in my shooting over the years but it's well within my normal human error factor as I can see. And no im not talking a "it's in a dinner plate let's get er done" type accuracy here.

I think many out there tune your bows because you enjoy it And it builds confidence in your setup. It's not a requirement. I have a buddy who bought a used rx1 from a guy at work who's a foot shorter and only ever target shot field points. Its never been adjusted or tweeked what so ever (despite me urging him to do so) and he's 2 seasons deep with it and a few animals in 4 states.

I feel triggered...

For real though. Midwest whitetail hunter mostly here. I paper tune my bow, but that's it. I practice with broadheads whenever I introduce a new one. I had to use fixed blade this year for Idaho. They flew fine out to 40 for me so I moved on.
I dont test every arrow or nock tune/broadhead tune like some of you here. Perhaps that's contributed to some error in my shooting over the years but it's well within my normal human error factor as I can see. And no im not talking a "it's in a dinner plate let's get er done" type accuracy here.

I think many out there tune your bows because you enjoy it And it builds confidence in your setup. It's not a requirement. I have a buddy who bought a used rx1 from a guy at work who's a foot shorter and only ever target shot field points. Its never been adjusted or tweeked what so ever (despite me urging him to do so) and he's 2 seasons deep with it and a few animals in 4 states.

I have seen the opposite. Lots of guys making poor shots because it turns out, their broadheads don't hit with their fieldpoints. Most of the time it's the archer, but sometimes it really is the equipment.

I don't shoot every broadhead to test it (of a broadhead type), I do nock tune my arrows as I can see a difference in broadhead grouping because of it but don't think it's a requirement by any means.

I get a lot of guys refered to me to fine tune their setups, they are always impressed with how much better their shooting is afterwards. Thing is, I don't spend much time on tuning my target bows, maybe I should. It's all tuning to make my hunting bow as accurate and forgiving as possible.

Zac

WKR
I believe wounding rates for vertical bows is off the charts right now. Maybe it always has been. Anyway I assume non tuned bows has alot to do with it. Also Bowtechs at shops don't do near enough education when selling new archery equipment to new hunters. This is why I have a soft spot for RF. He's one of the few that sees this issue and what it may mean for the future.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
screw your broadheads on your arrows and sight your bow in to them. if they are hitting the mark 20-60yds just go hunt.

who cares if BH and FP dont match up. You arent shooting FP at game.

After the season you can retune your bow to get FP and BH hitting the same place

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
screw your broadheads on your arrows and sight your bow in to them. if they are hitting the mark 20-60yds just go hunt.

who cares if BH and FP dont match up. You arent shooting FP at game.

After the season you can retune your bow to get FP and BH hitting the same place

Having your bare shafts and fletched field points and broadheads as close as possible has everything to do with nock travel and efficiency of the bow.

Fact an arrow with proper nock travel coming out of the bow will penetrate better.
Does it matter. Depends 100% on the setup. 60 lbs. with chisel tip mechanicals yep. 70 lbs. with COC heads not so much.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Having your bare shafts and fletched field points and broadheads as close as possible has everything to do with nock travel and efficiency of the bow.

Fact an arrow with proper nock travel coming out of the bow will penetrate better.
Does it matter. Depends 100% on the setup. 60 lbs. with chisel tip mechanicals yep. 70 lbs. with COC heads not so much.
I dont think an animal will notice the 5-8fps difference. If its even that high.

I just restrung my bow a month or so ago, set it up and it shot the same. Shot broadheads out to 40 dead on so good to go. And arrow flight seemed good to 80. So no tuning but it was tuned before. Also it's just for whitetail so not shooting 50-60 yards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Not many trolls on here, but I would definitely label you as one of them.
the guy has 5 days before season, some people dont have the time.

Absolutely, a tuned bow is better than a not tuned one. Im not arguing that at all. I took 2 years to get my bow properly dialed and confident in my shots before I even went hunting for the first time.

I save my trolling for the lakes.