does anyone only carry 1 knife for hunting

Totoro

WKR
Kinda depends on scenario for me.

if I am hunting with a group and have designated camp to hang/skin/quarter/bone then I take a full set of Dexters to handle all tasks.

If I am backpacking with a few fellas for mule deer, 2; folder and 3.5" fixed blade.

If I am backpacking with a few fellas for elk, 3; a folder, a smaller fixed 3.5" and larger 5".

If I am backpacking solo; 1 fixed blade 3.5" or so.

Sure it adds some weight but this system has worked for me over many animals over many years so I keep it the same.

For sure, I recommend getting comfortable with whatever system you decide on. But practice sharpening for the field a bunch so you can a hang of it.

Rob5589

WKR
I only carry an Outdoor Edge Razor Pro with extra blades. At times a pocket folder out of habit.

just wanting to simplify and keep my weight down...I am wanting to leave the replaceable blade knife at home, and instead just rock a single knife, maybe a Mora or something else. along with a simple sharpener.

Does anyone do this? any horror stories of only having the 1 knife and it backfiring? I have always had 2 but only ever used 1.
Been carrying the same Gerber guthook folder for a dozen years or more, and a small, lightweight sharpener. Still all I've ever needed.

I tried to use an outdoor edge for several years, but I couldn't over the cleaning aspect. There are so many small spaces in them that it takes me 5+ minutes to get it clean. I would either try to clean it right after I was done, which was usually in the dark with a sore back and low patience. Or, I would toss it in my pack to "clean it later", which meant I'd get busy with meat care back at camp, forget about the knife and find it stinky and crusty a few days later.

So I went back to a fixed blade drop point hunting knife, which I can clean with a few swipes of a wet wipe.

I still carry a outdoor edge lite as a backup knife in my pack.

I haven't ever carried a sharpener in the field. In the rare chance that I lose an edge, i can strop an edge back on with my wallet and finish the job.

Am I the only one that dislikes the cleaning required with the outdoor edge?

ESEE Xancudo 3” fixed blade and a 4” smith’s Arkansas sharpening stone just in case for me. S35VN is the cats meow

TheGDog

WKR
I bring a Havalon Dual Blade Folder. And a few extra blades in the pack. And a small multi-tool to be the needle-nose pliers. I just need the pliers around to untie a knot, or for pulling out pokey things that have managed to spear into your skin. Also I prefer changing the Havalon scalpel blade with the needle nose pliers whenever possible.

I like this setup because the regular blade on the folder is AUS8 steel. Stays very sharp for a long time. I like to use a regular knife for cutting around the knee of the forelimb, and for sliding along the rib bones when deboning the backstraps. Helps keep the Havalon blade from getting dulled on the things you shouldn't be using a scalpel blade for. Also the regular blade I find helps when it comes to detaching the head from the neck bones. I know you *can* do it with a Havalon, but it seems to take too long since you have to be soo cautious about not snapping the blade as you attempt to sever connective tissues 'tween the vertebrae.

Also I always want a "regular knife" with me because often on sits I'll need to trim off some funky branch that's pokin' ya on the back or something on your sit. Especially in the heat of summer too, because often I'll have to really shove myself backed up into a scrub oak or juniper to get into it's shade for some relief from the hot sun and hot temps. Mid-day of Rabbit hunting around season opener comes to mind in terms of that kinda heat.

For the "Regular knife" I prefer one which is a combo blade and has a back part that's serrated. The serrated edge is better for cutting off poking vegetation on a sit. You can still do that with a straight edge blade, it's just a bit quicker and easier with serrated though.

If I'm doing small game than I just bring the Leatherman Skeletool only. Works awesome for small game. I like being able to snap off the forelimbs with the needle-nose of the Skeletool onthe rabbits, makes peeling them much easier.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I tried to use an outdoor edge for several years, but I couldn't over the cleaning aspect. There are so many small spaces in them that it takes me 5+ minutes to get it clean. I would either try to clean it right after I was done, which was usually in the dark with a sore back and low patience. Or, I would toss it in my pack to "clean it later", which meant I'd get busy with meat care back at camp, forget about the knife and find it stinky and crusty a few days later.

So I went back to a fixed blade drop point hunting knife, which I can clean with a few swipes of a wet wipe.

I still carry a outdoor edge lite as a backup knife in my pack.

I haven't ever carried a sharpener in the field. In the rare chance that I lose an edge, i can strop an edge back on with my wallet and finish the job.

Am I the only one that dislikes the cleaning required with the outdoor edge?
I wipe mine off with whatever is handy then give it a full on cleaning when I get home.

SpringTom

FNG
Argali has a belt they're planning to start selling this fall that has a sharpener integrated into the buckle. Search Argali Kodiak.
I always carry two since my Havalon weighs less than my sharpener but that belt might make me reconsider. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews after it's released.
That belt looks awesome! They aren't taking any more pre orders though

The military adage "two is one, one is none" applies here. Unless you can knap and you're in a flint rich environment, anyone that hunts further than one mile from their rig should have a backup knife. It is fairly easy to misplace knives during animal processing, particularly at night or in the snow. Guts/hide/gore can hide even blaze orange knives and a warm knife can melt into the surrounding snow easily. A sharpener can be just as important particularly if you're using lower carbon or cheaper knives.

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely something to be said about coloration on knives being all loud and bright for knives that are for processing. Helps make em easier to see and not step on if ya need to put em down for a second while processing, especially at night.

I’m in the Leatherman + Havalon camp

Havalon for skinning. Leatherman for general use and plucking cactus spines, plus backup gutting knife

Maki35

WKR
For years I used to carry one hunting knife. Then I started to carrying a small Case pocket knife to cut cordage and the plastic wrappers on food (I hated messing with the wrappers crinkling noise when I'm hunting). it also served as backup.

If you only want to carry one knife I would suggest packing a small sharping stone in your bag just incase you need to sharpen your knife.

Hondo

WKR
I carry one fixed blade hunting knife and sharpener in my field kit. The sharpener is generally a Fallkniven DC3 pocket stone or a Worksharp Field Sharpener although some of the knives I use will hold an efficient edge throughout the process. I also carry a Spyderco Stretch ZDP-189 in my pocket which has been proven many times to be a capable backup hunting knife.

I am in no way a purist/traditionalist as I will use a GPS, rangefinder, compound bow, supersteel knives, etc. in my outdoor pursuits but I just cannot bring myself to entertain the notion of using a replaceable blade hunting knife. I enjoy sharpening a knife and take pride in my sharpening skills. I in no way intend to offend anyone who uses one. One of my best friends swears by them and I give him a hard time about owning a pellet smoker too. To each his own.

I carry four, A custom built Nessmuck belt knife, a 3 blade older made buck pocket knife, a pocket clip kershaw and a gerber multi tool also carry a small hand forged thomahawk in the pack along with a folding saw, small sharpening stone and a small steel, fire starting kit that has 5 different methods of making fire, a butane lighter, a flint and steel, burning glass, ferro rod, the kit also contains char cloth and other ready fire starting materials and water proof barn burner matches, I know this about knives but one never knows what type of situation you may find yourself in. Never had much faith in the change a blade knives give me a old fashioned steel blade any day.

i've been carrying an American made Gerber fixed blade and an American made Gerber folding knife and the small plastic yellow two sided (coarse and fine) sharpener for about 12 years of deer and elk hunting. the fixed blade is for busting joints, etc. i keep an orange paracord loop through hole in handle of fixed blade for better visibility - it is a very dark color and might get lost without it!

I do not like the replaceable blade things at all. looked at them in store and my friend's kit. seem squirrely, but a lot of you guys use them. is there a compartment on the case for the used blades or do ya'll leave them on the damn ground?! be honest!

if i was to carry only one knife it would be a beefy fixed blade and a trusted/known sharpening system. probably would not be the lightest option, anyway.

mtnkid85

WKR
I generally take my pocket knife for general knife duty then a havalon type knife for butchering.
But on a recent sheep hunt I just took my Benchmade bug out and used it for everything. Worked just fine and saved a bit of weight from my kill kit.