does anyone only carry 1 knife for hunting

The idea of being without a knife frightens me. I always have a leather man on me, carry a havlon plus extra blades in my kill kit. I also carry a small but sturdy fixed blade. I have many to choose from here but like KOA caping to other bird trout edc types. I’ve flirted the idea of ditching the fixed blade but from survival shtf perspective I’ve decided it’s staying.

Jimss

WKR
I have pretty much switched over to outdoor edge. I do a lot of skinning for life-sized capes plus boning game and it’s nice being able to switch out blades in a matter of seconds. I utterly hate havolins because I’ve had so many close calls when their blades snapped.

I usually also bring a multi-tool leather man on extended Alaska trips and often use other tools on the knife (saw, screwdriver, etc)

I only bring an outdoor edge knife and a few replacement blades. I always toy with bringing a multi tool but I haven't missed having one yet.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

KMSbuck

Lil-Rokslider
just wanting to simplify and keep my weight down...I am wanting to leave the replaceable blade knife at home, and instead just rock a single knife, maybe a Mora or something else. along with a simple sharpener.

Does anyone do this? any horror stories of only having the 1 knife and it backfiring? I have always had 2 but only ever used 1.
Argali has a belt they're planning to start selling this fall that has a sharpener integrated into the buckle. Search Argali Kodiak.
I always carry two since my Havalon weighs less than my sharpener but that belt might make me reconsider. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews after it's released.
Last year I finally decided to go with just one knife, a Havalon Piranta, and I never felt like I needed anything else. Even breaking down the elbow joints was relatively easy and didn’t cause any problems of going slowly and carefully.

sodak

FNG
SAK Tinker plus a hunting knife.
I’ve been using a pretty lightweight (and low priced) fixed blade as a hunting knife.

gelton

WKR
I have gone through many different reincarnations here but currently carry a Benchmade griptilian with an argali serac....no sharpener.

The last elk we killed my partner had his own knife and I just used the greptilian to break down a cow elk, didn't even break out the serac.

As 5miles back said a ways back, a sharpener is the same or more weight than a second knife, so I carry:

Benchmade Bugout - accessible at all times
Benchmade Steep Country - in kill kit

Benchmade Altitude could replace the steep country, but the feel of the steep country is just so much nicer in my hand. Broke a blade the first minute I tried using a Gerber replacement blade knife, so gave up that route myself.

Have tried a handful combos, but a fresh blade on a havalon is just too efficient and light to not have.

Also hate the idea of not having a simple beefy fixed blade for backup (esse izula), even though it comes out of my pack about twice a year. But you never know when you will have to pull some bushcraft shit and batton lean-to beams 3 miles from the truck, or you just forget to refill havalon blades from last kill...

I took an s90v mini benchmade bugout and a goat knives capra on my last backcountry hunt, didn't even need the goat knife. Did my entire mule deer with the benchmade and it stayed sharp enough to cut my thumb while caping out the skull at the end lol. Thought about just taking the benchmade next time, especially since i have that argali sharpening belt now. But honestly, for 2ish oz extra i don't think I'll leave the 2nd knife, just in case i lose the bugout or something. You never know, ive lost a few pocket knives over the years lol

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've just taken my Benchmade Altitude before. I take a Spider Co. ceramic pocket stone. The stone weighs more than the knife (3.2 oz vs 2.4 oz). I have yet to need the stone.

Usually I have two knives, one of which is the Altitude, then either a mini Griptilian or a Saddle Mountain Skinner.

TK177

FNG
I normally have 3 which sounds like a lot but really its not. 2 in my kill kit a tyto (which you can cape, quarter, skin, bone out and cut the skull off with) and the S35VN version of the ESEE Izula. Izula is great, cheap and light weight I have it as a back up. My pocket knife is the do all that I keep with me and doesn't touch deer buttholes and other dirty things as I use that one for my food.

I prefer a fixed blade of really good steel for gutting. A 3 inch blade about 3/4 inch wide meets my needs. Ruana or Solingin has the quality.

My backup is a three blade old timer packet knife. I have cleaned two elk ( in the same morning) without sharpening with the pocket knife.

I keep a K-bar and/or Browning presentation knife (RMEF) in my saddle bags for skinning. I like little knives for delicate work in places I can't see.

I have been using a Benchmade Altitude. Along with a Havalon, and have been thinking the same. This season I’m going to just carry the Benchmade as it stays really sharp and does everything I need a knife to do. I’ve added some paracord to the handle for extra grip. It’s my favorite knife. It weighs 1.67oz. according to their website.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Altitude + Tyto (Havalon blade)

nhZsgG5.jpg

nsTREVY.jpg

Super tag

WKR
I use the Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner, it’s a great knife. Has a gut hook and good size tough blade.
I’m not a fan of the replaceable blade knives, the blades don’t stay sharp for long and they’re fairly weak and dangerous in my opinion.
I carry the small Benchmade Guided field sharpener and can keep my knife razor sharp fairly easily.
Initial investment is more but the knife will last as long as I will.

Mosby

WKR
I almost always carry two knives for elk and bear. Normally only one for whitetail. I do have an old Cold Steel knife I keep in my shirt pocket on hunting trips. More of a good luck charm than anything.

I’ve been carrying two:
-Benchmade Altitude for skinning
-Modified Victorinox Walker for everything else… including a backup to the skinner

No sharpener in my pack. There is one in the truck.