does anyone only carry 1 knife for hunting

Rich M

Well Known Rokslider
1 knife will be fine - a pull thru sharpener or small diamond stone will set you up.

I've got this $10 kershaw pocket knife with 3.5 inch blade that is usually with me and it works fine on game.

Drew308

If I am packing in or walking in a ways, I’ll go down to 1, maybe 2 knives. But I do make sure I have a small sharpener with me.

KnuckleChild

Well Known Rokslider
I always have 2 because I lose knives, and they’re always cheap because I lose knives.
First backpacking hunt I went on I only brought the replaceable blade OE and shot a grouse day 1, and the knife was down buried in the kill kit. Now I carry the lightest normal sized pocket knife I can find (currently some sub $20 kershaw) somewhere handy and the 3” OE razorlite with replacement blades in the kill kit.

BayouBen

I've been pondering this question as well...I normally carry a mora on my hip for everyday camp duties and a Havalon in my kill kit. This year after watching too many episodes of forged in fire, I made my version of a lightweight full tang mountain knife. I'm happy with the results. It came in at 2 oz, and will take the place of the mora.

Larry Bartlett

Well Known Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
lots of experience here.

for me these days, a pocket knife and #70 scalpel blades with plastic handle. Needs 6 ea per moose, couple less for bou, double for bear. Been using this combo since before Havalon made their folding version. Have to ask them for #70 roll-tip taxidermy blades to fit their plastic surgical handle i believe.

that's me after trying every damn gadget since jesus's wood square was developed, now it's simple and light AF

Where's Bruce?

Well Known Rokslider
Murphy's law prevails so for key items like a knife i always carry a LW back-up. If I set it down and lose it, break a blade, leave it behind...I'm not screwed. Carry a fixed blade and another with replaceable blades.

Timplant

Havalon and three blades in my bino harness, Benchmade(many options) in my pocket, and argali for a skinning knife in my pack. Benchmade does 90% of the work it seems. Lots of furbearers/small game and 3-7 big game animals a year