does anyone only carry 1 knife for hunting

Blaw

WKR
just wanting to simplify and keep my weight down...I am wanting to leave the replaceable blade knife at home, and instead just rock a single knife, maybe a Mora or something else. along with a simple sharpener.

Does anyone do this? any horror stories of only having the 1 knife and it backfiring? I have always had 2 but only ever used 1.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm almost always carrying 3 knives with me, lol. My pocket knife (benchmade bugout), my outdoor edge replaceable blade in my kill kit, and a mora in my emergency kit.

That said, if I was going to carry only one knife it would be the mora and a sharpener. The steel doesn't hold an edge all that well in my experience, but its good for just about everything and is easy to sharpen and clean.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
i carry a argali serac now. Covers what I need for survival and if it works like the carbon does on game I will bet set. I carry a small strop to keep sharp

I carried just one blade for 40 years, a J A Henckels fixed blade. About 4 years ago, I bought a stag handled Gromann #1 and was so impressed that it became my primary game processor. So now I carry two blades. The Henckels will always have a ride, either in my pack or in my coat. I'll find someplace else to save weight.

I used to use a brand new 3 blade stockman each elk season and i can easily finish a whole elk with it. They run 20-30$ and i Don’t cry when you lose one. Been using a havalon a few years now with extra blades and like that allot. But bring a real knife to.

FNG
When I’m in the mountains and worried about weight I carry a havalon and a few blades. It’s not going to take the abuse a fixed blade can handle, so be smart with it.

I only carry my Outdoor Edge Lite, which I'm surprised is not more popular looking at previous posts in this thread.

The Outdoor Edge has enough umph to do what you need to do with an elk, joints and getting the head off the spine, never broke a blade (have broken Havalons before), small weight penalty to the Havalon. Easier to change blades, too.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
I only carry my Outdoor Edge Lite, which I'm surprised is not more popular looking at previous posts in this thread.

The Outdoor Edge has enough umph to do what you need to do with an elk, joints and getting the head off the spine, never broke a blade (have broken Havalons before), small weight penalty to the Havalon. Easier to change blades, too.
I'm with you on this. Only one knife for several years now Outdoor edge and a few extra blades in the same pouch. And I ran a mobile slaughter rig for several years and I'm not real easy on a knife when it comes to joints.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
just wanting to simplify and keep my weight down...I am wanting to leave the replaceable blade knife at home, and instead just rock a single knife, maybe a Mora or something else. along with a simple sharpener.
As soon as you add "a simple sharpener" to your pack, you're no longer keeping your weight down. I used to carry one knife and a simple sharpener, but my Havalon is lighter than the sharpener was at less than 3oz with the case, so I just bring the Havalon as well and leave the sharpener at home.

Drenalin

WKR
I regularly whitetail hunt with only a Benchmade Bugout and their Mini Sharpener (which I don’t think they make any more). I quit on the Tyto after a couple less than ideal experiences. The odds of me throwing a fixed blade in my pack increase proportionately with the distance I’ll be from the truck, rather than the other way around.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Argali has a belt they're planning to start selling this fall that has a sharpener integrated into the buckle. Search Argali Kodiak.
I always carry two since my Havalon weighs less than my sharpener but that belt might make me reconsider. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews after it's released.