does anyone only carry 1 knife for hunting

I've carried the same Leatherman Fuse (sharpened razor sharp pre-hunt) for about 18 years paired with a Havalon with spare blades for maybe 9 years? The combo woks well for me. The Havalon only comes out when there is a critter to skin, qtr, debone, cape, etc......or a sliver or thorn to remove.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I have not had to touch up a knife on hunts made from S30V, S90v, CPM S3v, BG42, and a couple other super steels.

I now leave my touch up stuff at camp...and just use it for BH's.

>
This is the way.

Cheap knives are cheap in part because they are made from cheap steels. These steels wont hold an edge well, so need to be resharpened often.

A knife made from quality modern steels such as S30V, S350VN, S3V, Elmax, Cru-Wear, S45VN, etc that have a good edge before you leave for a hunt will stay sharp through the whole breakdown of a an elk, bear, deer, etc.

I would have no problem carrying one blade made in one of these steels, though I generally carry two because... redundancy. I would rather carry two knives from quality steel than carry one and a sharpener.

Voyageur

WKR
For deer and antelope I only carry one knife. No sharpener needed as long as I'm mindful of how I use the blade. My Mora knife is good for 2 or 3 animals as is my Victorinox folder.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a single lock blade. It's a benchmade along with a small lightweight sharpener. Replaceable blade knives are ok but in my opinion ya can't put much pressure on them.

i have my ka-bar dozier for edc, but have used my dad's buck 110 folder for probably the most animals, as well as the outdoor edge replaceable bladed knife. the leatherman rebar is always close by, but never used on an animal. i recently purchased a benchmade saddle skinner i will try out this fall - hopefully. BUT regarding the OP, usually am carrying 2 knives when hunting. 1 on my person and 1 in the kill kit.

WyoHuntr

FNG
I've lost a few knives in the field. My favorite disappeared after a scree scramble, last fall. That is why I always have two . When an animal is down is the wrong time to realize that dang pocket was open when you set your pack down, and the knife fell out... (which may have happened to yours truly). I pack a scalpel / blades for the animal, and an ultralight fixed blade for typical knife duties.

Who is just fine processing an elk or whole animals without sharpening a well made, freshly sharp fixed blade?

I've been using a freshly sharpened Benchmade Steep Country and it seems like it's been just fine processing a cow elk these past few years. Before the next hunt I run it through the Worksharp sharpener and seems good to go.

That said, I haven't processed anything that'll be mounted, so not working around the skull at all.

Also, with the Bugout so light, I use that for any daily use, cutting for meals, etc.. Always tempted to just take the one, but backup value of the Bugout has won out up until now.

Cheers,

Steve

Onski316

FNG
I really like my Ontario Knife 499. Just took forever to get a good edge on it. Junk profile out of the box.

Foxsoup

FNG
I always just carry one with me and a back up in the truck, realistically I’m seldom hunting backcountry alone, so there is your redundancy. My bark river can usually go a while before it needs to get sharpened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife bought me an Outdoor Edge Swingblade. I will probably start the season with that this year. I always carry a tiny Swiss Army knife that has tweezers in the handle as well. Just bought a Lansky sharpener and a small unit for touch ups based on recent conversations about sharpening around here. We have so many tags this year I really do not want to spend hours sharpening knives.

Doodle

FNG
I used to, but now carry two mainly due to blade shape. A good skinning knife is not a good filet knife and vice versa. I now carry a skinning knife with a gut hook on the back and a flexible, non-folding boning knife. The skinner is tough and thick and can be relied on to deal with ball joints and whatnot. The boning knife I use for delicate work around the back straps, taking out gutless tenderloins, and anytime I need a little extra reach.

For what it’s worth, I used to be a pro chef, so I’m a little pickier with my knife work than a lot of guys. That’s neither good nor bad, it’s just a force of habit.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I daily carry 4 knives....
Key chain Leatherman, Leatherman Wave, and two others just for fun.... usually a Case Peanut and something else.

For an only one knife, a Mora would be a great choice..... or a Leatherman Wave or 300 along with some fire starter setup.

Mosski

FNG
I have been carrying 2, a Havlon and Esse izula in the kill kit but am thinking of ditching the Esse for a pocket knife.

JakeL

FNG
just wanting to simplify and keep my weight down...I am wanting to leave the replaceable blade knife at home, and instead just rock a single knife, maybe a Mora or something else. along with a simple sharpener.

Does anyone do this? any horror stories of only having the 1 knife and it backfiring? I have always had 2 but only ever used 1.
I’ve always just carried the ol trusty buck knife and a sharpener.