does anyone only carry 1 knife for hunting

Rich M

WKR
1 knife will be fine - a pull thru sharpener or small diamond stone will set you up.

I've got this $10 kershaw pocket knife with 3.5 inch blade that is usually with me and it works fine on game.

Drew308

FNG
If I am packing in or walking in a ways, I’ll go down to 1, maybe 2 knives. But I do make sure I have a small sharpener with me.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I always have 2 because I lose knives, and they’re always cheap because I lose knives.
First backpacking hunt I went on I only brought the replaceable blade OE and shot a grouse day 1, and the knife was down buried in the kill kit. Now I carry the lightest normal sized pocket knife I can find (currently some sub $20 kershaw) somewhere handy and the 3” OE razorlite with replacement blades in the kill kit.

BayouBen

FNG
I've been pondering this question as well...I normally carry a mora on my hip for everyday camp duties and a Havalon in my kill kit. This year after watching too many episodes of forged in fire, I made my version of a lightweight full tang mountain knife. I'm happy with the results. It came in at 2 oz, and will take the place of the mora.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
lots of experience here.

for me these days, a pocket knife and #70 scalpel blades with plastic handle. Needs 6 ea per moose, couple less for bou, double for bear. Been using this combo since before Havalon made their folding version. Have to ask them for #70 roll-tip taxidermy blades to fit their plastic surgical handle i believe.

that's me after trying every damn gadget since jesus's wood square was developed, now it's simple and light AF

Murphy's law prevails so for key items like a knife i always carry a LW back-up. If I set it down and lose it, break a blade, leave it behind...I'm not screwed. Carry a fixed blade and another with replaceable blades.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon and three blades in my bino harness, Benchmade(many options) in my pocket, and argali for a skinning knife in my pack. Benchmade does 90% of the work it seems. Lots of furbearers/small game and 3-7 big game animals a year

GotDraw?

WKR
I carry a Benchmade Altitude, and a kestrel scalpel (lightweight insurance).
Love my Altitude, knife weighs only 1.67 oz.

That said, once you put the Altitude in its .6oz plastic sheath you might as well carry a Mini Bugout. The folder may be more practical since the all-in weight is less.

Altitude weighs about 2.3 oz with sheath and Mini Bugout weights less at 2.02 oz

Both knives area SV90 steel.

JL

AkRyan

WKR
I have around $2k in knives and for some reason my goto is a $60 outdoor edge swingblade. The gut hook on these is imo the best design I've used and the blades stay sharp enough to break down a moose without any touchups.

I carry a Spyderco Bill Moran drop point for dressing game.
It's VG10 and I processed an entire cow elk and it's still scary sharp.
I carry a Leatherman for utility but not game processing.
My son's Esse has come in handy for heavy work including chopping an arrow out of a tree(don't ask).

RussDXT

WKR
Love my Altitude, knife weighs only 1.67 oz.

That said, once you put the Altitude in its .6oz plastic sheath you might as well carry a Mini Bugout. The folder may be more practical since the all-in weight is less.

Altitude weighs about 2.3 oz with sheath and Mini Bugout weights less at 2.02 oz

Both knives area SV90 steel.

JL

I’ve been intrigued by the mini bugout. Haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. Seems like they only have one model with the s90v steel. I would rather have the orange one but it seems like that is only available in s30.

You have me thinking though.

I’ve been intrigued by the mini bugout. Haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. Seems like they only have one model with the s90v steel. I would rather have the orange one but it seems like that is only available in s30.

You have me thinking though.
I've skinned and boned a whole mule deer with the orange mini bugout no problem. You can remove the clip on it to shave a little more weight too. That said, kestrel mountain caper (s90v) with sheath is just a shade lighter, so I'll often grab it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can go to their customize shop and get SV90 on their full size bugout AND get it in orange

cjdewese

WKR
I only carry a custom buck with a small sharpener that my wife got me for my birthday. The sentimental value alone and the feeling I get when I use it makes it most enjoyable. May change that eventually, but for bow that's all I carry.