Does anyone wear down as their outer layer besides glassing and around camp?

TXCO

WKR
I cant decide to get down in camo just in case I use it as an outer layer but I feel that will just get me in trouble by tearing it up. Whether that be brush or my pack. Plus I can wear it around town otherwise if I want to.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Do you even concern yourself with camo?

i try to stay with earthy colors is all really. i dont archery hunt either though.
i have some camo items like my wool shirt and softshell jacket but thats because thats what was on sale ;)

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the KUIU down jacket and if I got one I would go with gun metal.That way I could use for things other than hunting.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
DaveS, thats exactly what I am thinking

I pre-ordered mine in gun metal for two reasons. It will only be worn while glassing or when stationary, it will never be worn while hiking around because I don't want it to get torn up. Plus, when I spend 250$ on a jacket, I'd like to be able to wear it around town as well.

Oh com on nick. What you don't wear camo all the time. Like Walmart redneck hunters? Lol. :)

I have a marmot down jacket. And a Kifaru paclock jacket. The marmot is black color and the Kifaru is foliage color. I use them for glassing and if really cold I use them under neath a outer shell.

Are you kidding me? I get all dressed up when I go to Wal-Mart! Realtree Hardwoods Bibs, Blaze Orange Hat and my rubber knee highs. I might even pick my nose a little :)

I don't really like to wear camo out and about. Lord knows I have enough of it though... Actually, I have bought a lot of hunting clothes over the past few months (certainly didn't need any of it) and 90% of it is in solid colors. I don't think it's going to matter one way or the other, but I know I can wear the solids when I am not hunting.

Maxhunter

WKR
I use it sitting on stand, or glassing. Way to warm for hiking. It's a big plus when you're sitting for hours in Alaska looking for brown bears on a cold windy knob.

Camo patterns don't do much for you except cause you to pay extra for the latest and greatest styles. Do you think deer and elk worry about camo patterns? No, because solids work and they don't have access to computers to blog about it.

Camo patterns don't do much for you except cause you to pay extra for the latest and greatest styles. Do you think deer and elk worry about camo patterns? No, because solids work and they don't have access to computers to blog about it.

Cheetahs, Jaguars, Leopards, Giraffes, and Tigers all would beg to differ! Although you don't need camo to hunt, I think it will allow you to get away with more movement than wearing just solids. But for a puffy insulation layer, you could have that in any color as you won't be on the move in a coat like that.

dotman

WKR
If you want a non camo down jacket checkout GoLite, they have an 850 jacket that is in earthy colors and crazy bright also for around $100, great quality and very warm with a dwr finish, weighs around 14oz. Just an option but if you want camo this will not work.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Cheetahs, Jaguars, Leopards, Giraffes, and Tigers all would beg to differ! Although you don't need camo to hunt, I think it will allow you to get away with more movement than wearing just solids. But for a puffy insulation layer, you could have that in any color as you won't be on the move in a coat like that.

I will keep that in mind next time i have a face to face show down with a giraffe!

Just pulling your chain!

Lorne