Does anyone wear wool anymore?

cnelk

WKR
I see many threads about 'new' outer gear, and how much they cost, and likes/dislikes.

That prompted me to wonder if anyone actually wears wool outer garments anymore?

Personally, I really like wool.
Its flame resistant, strong, quiet, still warm when wet and can be bought for a fraction of the price.

Yes, a lot of us do and you can see that on several threads here.

I particular merino base layers are very popular.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wear alot of wool still. Haven't given in to the tacticool hunting clothes yet. Still wearing flannel on the outside....lol.

be lovin my older filson wool pieces..not so sure of the new chinese stuff, just going by others reviews

92xj

WKR
It's flame resistant properties aren't a selling feature for me. I don't hunt in forest fires or any other fires.
I wear wool, lighter weight stuff. I also wear none wool outers when it rains to stay dry and a hell of a lot lighter than wet wool.

All the time. I've gone full circle and I'm back to hunting (at least day hunting) in head to toe wool. I still have technical outerwear for extended trips into the wilderness but I wear a lot of wool when weight isn't as much of a factor. King of the mountain, Filson, bemidji wool co. And Columbia for outerwear wool, merino bases and socks always

NDGuy

WKR
What brands are good for wool outer layers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
The ones that backcountry_hunter posted. Johnson Woolen Mills, too.

Older LL Bean stuff is really good as well. I haven't used the new stuff, though.

There is quite a bit of this stuff on ebay. Old hunters get retired and their wives put it all on ebay. You can get high quality stuff from the 50s and 60s for pennies on the dollar. Sizing can be tricky because wool can shrink and people are generally heavier now, but I've found plenty of deals.

I live in Pendleton wool in the winter..bet i have 20 of their shirts. The kuiu lightweight wool shirts ate one thing that company gets right too. Those are damn good base layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King of the mountain (if the price doesn't give you a heart attack) is truly the best that I've had. If you live in ND you'll appreciate it especially in December. I've got some stuff from Bemidji that is good for mid season (it doesn't have any windstopper properties in it, so once the mercury drops and there's a breeze it can get pretty chilly). The columbia stuff is/was cheap at the time and very good for the $$ but I'm also not 100% sure it's pure wool. Seems like mine says recycled or partially blended? Filson makes some great wool, specifically I'm a fan of their tops.

I'll 2nd Chriss also, I have some older LLBean wool that I would cry if something happened to.

Thanks for the Aneurism lol I'll keep my Cabelas stuff and buy an elk tag

definitely a tough pill to swallow. I don't reccomend it to anyone unless they absolutely love chasing game in ridiculously harsg conditions. That's really when you'll see the separation. If your bow/gun gets hung up around thanksgiving and you save December for watching football there's no reason to make that kind of investment. Once in a while a piece or two will pop up on CL if you watch close, usually the people that buy something like this take care of it....

Beendare

WKR
Its no secret and has been discussed many time here- merino wool is the bomb.

I just wore a long sleeve merino shirt on a pig hunt in central Ca for a couple days straight and it regulates temps really well- from cold mornings to 75deg days, wicks moisture decently and doesn't get as funky from multiple times of sweating it up. Its an amazing fabric.

kda082

WKR
I love my Cabela's Wooltimate with windshere jacket. Didn't break the bank, warm, and very quiet for archery hunting. I wear it a lot when not hunting, which I shouldn't as I'm increasing the wear. Love that darn jacket.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR