Does Camo matter?

Thought this was an interesting topic, seems like people are split 50/50 on whether or not camo is necessary in the field. I personally think that it never hurts to put odds in your favor, but movement and being downwind is much more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thess87

WKR
For sure wind a movement is number 1. But there is science behind a lot of the Camo so why wouldn’t you do everything you could to tip the odds. Just my two cents.

Anything that breaks up your outline and doesn't show a flat solid
area is a plus.Deer see movement and wind is a key element.Blue seem
to be the one negative for Deer in he color scheme.
Then again didn't all the old timers wear blue jeans?They never
seemed to have problems getting game...Spoiler,I wear camos exclusively! :cool:

Jimss

WKR
I'm colorblind and the thing that really stands out to me when I see hunters is the human profile/outline. I ALWAYS wear different tops than bottoms to break up the human profile! I'd say a high percentage of hunters wear the same top and bottom camo patterns and colors...which makes no sense to me! I like having a large selection of camo patterns. When I get to where I hunt I'll place them out in the country I'll be hunting and choose the ones that blend in. Obviously this can change dramatically from spring to fall to winter.

I prefer to hunt open country and believe camo is important when hunting sheep, goat, antelope, etc that have excellent eyes in open terrain! Nothing stands out more on snow than a darker human form! Obviously camo is super important in snow! As mentioned in a post above, I put everything in my favor so wear camo!

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Was out scouting today and came across a solid black cow in the open and I had a heck of a time seeing it in fact I walked right past it. I swear by predator spring green camo or Kuiu verde but this got me to thinking.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I think breaking up the outline is helpful but won’t make one successful. That said, I came across a whitetail buck in the Adirondacks two years ago. Less than 40 yards between us. I quietly moved and sat at the base of a tree. He stared straight at me for nearly 20 minutes. Finally he moved and gave me a perfect shot (he had been facing me) and I took the shot. He ended up in the truck. I have never experienced that before. Fact that I was in a Kryptek dalibor jacket and pants with a Kryptek ball cap and gloves may have helped break up my outline just enough to avoid spooking him.

However, if the wind hadn’t been perfect and I hadn’t been low to the ground with brown dirt and trees behind, I don’t think the buck would have sat still looking at me. But without the camo would the buck have seen me and run? I don’t know. But I’m willing to keep wearing camo just in case it worked. I don’t see a downside.

Thought this was an interesting topic, seems like people are split 50/50 on whether or not camo is necessary in the field. I personally think that it never hurts to put odds in your favor, but movement and being downwind is much more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with that. I never used to wear camo anything when hunting, just wore the clothes made from materials that I thought were most conducive to the type of hunting I was doing. About 10 years ago I started buying clothing just for hunting purposes and pretty much everything I bought was in camo patterns that looked best, to my eyes, for the terrain I typically hunt. I figured that the clothing I was buying was only going to be used for hunting purposes and I may as well buy it in a camo pattern since it couldn't hurt my chances for better concealment.

KyleR1985

WKR
Camo gives me a feel good feeling of "i'm at deer camp". Outside of that - I think breaking up your outline, being still, and wearing materials that don't "shine" are all more important than camo patterns. Wool is a great option - natural fibers tend to blend better, regardless of surroundings, than the new printed camo that almost seems to glow.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I think the old saying about “how many animals dropped to blue jeans and red flannel” while true doesn’t mean squat. As already stated smell and movement trump all but to say camo is just for the Hunter I strongly disagree. I personally believe more animals would’ve hit the ground in the flannel era. Can you bow hunt in anything? Sure. If I can get an edge I’ll take. I’ve had elk, deer, and hunting buddies look right through me trying to find me. I’ve had elk walk by at 3-4 yards oblivious until they caught a whiff. I’d say tags/time away from work over gear every time but if you’re trying to get any edge camo isn’t a bad deal. Think about how most of us want any edge, it’s just one of those for me. I’m more interested in quality gear that preforms over which pattern it is. As long as it breaks it up. Any of the popular hunting camo brands will work. I happen to like Sitka as their gear is nice and customer service is amazing but I’ll rock miss match stuff and solid pants like pranas. Predator is my absolute favorite it’s just too bad they aren’t up to par with newer materials. I swear if the owner would let me make a few changes to his offerings we could really cut into the market share.
And what detergent you use imo makes a big difference, no UV. Sports Wash by sno-seal. Ramble over.

Last edited:

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely want something to break up your outline. But no, I don't believe camo matters as much as some people say. Guys killed just as big of deer in the 80s wearing blue jeans and plaid. I do like a camo that looks good to me, though. Gotta dig that predator camo....

Trial153

WKR
Doesnt matter at all. If I bowhunted the rest of my days in soilds it wouldnt make a difference

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I think it helps. I have pics of me and my buddy walking in front of my cam as we went to carry my deer out. He had on jeans and a blue shirt, I had on my camo. He stuck out like a sore thumb, me.....not so much. So I do think it helps blend you in a little with the surroundings.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Just starting to bow hunt again in college the budget is slim at best. I found khakis work fine but covering bare skin made the biggest difference despite my hatred for gloves..but as I start buying camo Im trying to avoid patterns that make you look like a black blob from 50 yards away. The blob effect seems very common if you waterfowl hunt and see other peoples boat blinds.