Does Insulated Really Matter

Rokwiia

WKR
Dry feet are warm feet, if your feet sweat they will freeze, period.

That's only partially correct. Your feet can be wet as long as warmth is generated and the wetness is contained. That concept is central with a vapor-barrier system.

As your feet sweat, they will wet your boots. At some point, usually when you stop walking, your boots will freeze. A vapor barrier contains the moisture and prevents the boots from getting wet and thus from freezing. Just try wrapping your feet (including socks) in two grocery-store plastic bags and putting them in your boots. as you hike, your feet will become drenched but the moisture will stay within the vapor barrier and not effect the integrity of the boots. The boots will stay dry as a bone. Once you stop walking, you remove you feet, dry them, put on new socks and grocery-store bags and you're good to go.

That concept is what makes white and black bunny boots work. You can wet out the boots without issue as long as you are moving and generating heat. Once you stop, you remove your socks, dry your feet and the interior of the bunny boots, put on new socks and you're as good as new. In this particular case, the insulation in the bunny boots is contained within the rubber boots so the insulation can never get wet.

The vapor-barrier system can be expensive, specially-designed socks or they can be grocery-store bags.

Boots that have a removable liner also work well if you bring an extra liner(s). Remove the wet liner and replace it with the dry liner.

Depending on where, when, and how you will be hunting out west will help dictate if you need insulated boots.

Danner Pronghorn boots are comfortable and great for walking. However, as soon as there is any incline you'll have horrible tracking. This was my experience hunting a variety of game in AZ, HI, Canada, and Mexico. The falls and face planting got old so I moved onto Kenetrek's for my primary hunting. I still have the Pronghorns but they only come out for quail and dove. A quality pair of boots is cheaper than an emergency room co-pay.

In general, the more active your hunting style the less insulation you will need. Your specific health will also come into play. Also will need to figure out which sock approach works best for you. Some people it is a liner with a thin sock; others it can be just one sock. This is something that you'll need to figure out as healthy feet are critical to hunting.

Thanks for the reply. WI and MI winters are so simlar so I appreciate your perspective. Good tip on discount codes too. DvOR had a kenetrek sale recently and I am kicking myself for not jumping on it.

That's the majority of I am hearing too. Thanks for taking the time to respond. What weight merino socks would you wear at 0-20 degrees with uninsulated?
I jumped on the Kenetrek DVOR sale and didn't receive my kenetreks for 4 months. Ended up cancelling the sale casue I was worried I would never get them.

RCB

WKR
Been hunting for a few years. I have hunted in temps down into the teens. Have never used insulated boots. I can never remember having cold feet. I’m sure that would be different if I sat in a blind all day, or if it ever gets seriously cold. But even moderate movement in the mountains as been enough to keep my feet comfortable.

macabra11

FNG
I used the same pair of Danner Pronghorns with 400g insulation for almost 10 years here in Idaho. They were great boots and plenty comfy in cold weather and sitting/glassing on a mountain side, but were miserable for when I'd pheasant hunt in 50-70º temps.

A couple years ago I decided to replace my boots with all leather, uninsulated version of the Pronghorns. Well turns out they completely changed the boot and they fit terribly, leather creased into my ankle and they are just as hot in warm weather, but COLDER in cold temps sitting still. Absolutely terrible boots and terrible customer service. Apparently they changed their boots back to the original last this past year and got rid of the all-leather version. I will never buy another pair of Danners again.

I am currently in the market for a new pair of boots and have been debating insulated vs non-insulated. I think I want to go uninsulated and just be able to run a two-sock system (like the Kennetrek socks) when it is really cold. I have wondered what the effective "grams of insulation" is by running two good socks versus one sock and some insulation in the boot. Seems like it would be hard to test that in a scientific method.