Does it Exist? Bino Harness that Keeps Out Debris !

Holocene

WKR
So I have been running an Alaska Guide Creations binocular harness for 3+ years with a pair of 10x42 high end binos.

I have the model with a fabric "cap" over the main compartment. This cap closes by tugging on an elastic cord that secures around a metal clip. In this design, there's always about a 1" square opening on the left and right side.

So, debris ALWAYS gets in the main compartment and eventually on my binocular lenses. Because the inner lining is a kind of microfiber, it picks up this debris and continues to dirty my lenses soon after wiping them. Everything from doug fir needles to dust and dirt.

QUESTION: Who has a recommendation for a binocular harness that does a good job keeping the yuck out? I would be willing to trade some quick access functionality for better protection from debris.

Thanks for any advice.

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The only time I've had that issue is while on a quad. I bought the rain/dust cover and haven't had any issue since

When Marsupial gear releases their enclosed version, I think you will be happy with it. I do not think it will keep all debree out, but it will keep most. I wore one during an AK hunt last year and I was pretty impressed. Keep all the weather out and did a great job on the brush as well.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I know guys here are not into the Badlands Bino harness but I've come to really appreciate the magnets and protection it give the binos.
If your careful when closing the flap the magnets are not loud at all, but then again if you're 3-400 yds. from the animal ????
I would buy another Badlands if I needed one. Just my .02

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed with GPATTI. IMO, Outdoor Vision is the best design in bino harnesses. The top opens away from you and covers the entire optic when closed. I do not get any dust in the case when I leave it closed. Dust is a big deal in AZ on a UTV....so much so that next year I am bagging all of my hunting gear in a contractor bag and wearing "dust" clothes for the ride and changing before I hike.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I’m waiting to see what marsupial puts out for a full enclosed harness if I do t love it I will get a outdoor vision.

I would just look at getting a New Alaska Guide Creation Pack. It sounds like you have one of the really old versions(all cloth cover). The Newer ones from the last 4 or 5 years on have a better designed lid and I have nothing but good stuff to say about them. Jaret is constantly working on them and improving them. I have been running AGC for 10+ years and have had no issues or reason to change.

ChrisAU

WKR
Agree with the Kuiu Pro, I have it and an AGC CUB. Like them both, but the Kuiu definitely seals better. Dust can still come up through the lid with the AGC, the elastic on the Kuiu seems to seal pretty well.

I think I have read every single bino harness thread on the site. Here's my opinion - unless you try them all you'll never know which one is best for you. Everyone has their favorite and most people will not change their mind! I realize this isn't helpful but I'm trying to save you from reading as many posts as I have! 😁

Brendan

WKR
So far AGC has worked good for me, trying out ADAK now. (Think my AGC is a 2014 - and no gaps for me with 10x42 EL's)

I'm in the club of nothing with magnetic clasps / closures. It'll mess with compass readings in phones, GPS units, etc if you're not careful. Had that happen in the field and it gets to be a pain in the neck.

prm

WKR
Bino harnesses are one item I’ve had a hard time finding exactly what I want. There are many well built alternatives, but in general, they are bulkier than I’d prefer. I use smaller 8x30 Swaros. I’m already wearing a pack that is nearly empty during the day so I don’t need to store much on my chest. Binos, rangefinder, cow call, and phone (nav). I also have an aversion to magnets, though I’ve still tried harnesses with magnets. A compass made my life a lot better one very dark, wet night way back in unfamiliar woods. If all else is equal, I’ll always choose one without magnets. I’ve had an AGC but found it too bulky, same for the Kuiu Pro. I liked the Marsupial quite a bit, loved how it did not stick way out, but it did not seal the eye cups and they were full of dust and needles last year. And there’s those pesky magnets. I was hoping FHF would come back with their x-small, but that may be awhile. I’ll try their new small and see how I like it. I have a very old small FHF and it works well, just no place to put phone and the small side pockets are a rigid material that didn’t hold things like a cow call very well. The newer ones have the pocket in the back for a phone. The FHF lid is my favorite. No magnets, and you’re pulling down to secure it so it can be done very easily with one hand. I forget which one, but you have to pull up to latch which meant I had to often pull down on the case with my other hand to hold it. A small thing, but annoying. I’ll keep looking.

Last edited: