Does it exist??? - Looking for suggestions...

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what I am "ideally" looking for in a camera...the best combination of below for a do-it-all setup...

Relatively small/lightweight that can be put in a pack for a backcountry hunt (maybe 16oz or less - somewhat flexible).
Ability to capture wide range of pictures, with the best of them (within reason - outdoors, landscapes, sunrise/sunset, family gatherings, portraits, etc.).
High quality video footage, especially in low-light situations (think hunting early morning/late evening - turkeys off the roost, last light whitetails, etc.).
Decent zoom capabilities (again, think filming hunts - animals a couple hundred yards away, filming a close-up of an animal thru the brush as it's coming/going, etc.).
Weather "resistant" properties...something that won't fail in a potential rain shower.
External mic compatible would be a plus.
Reasonably priced...suggestions for $500(ish) budget, $800(ish budget), or $1000(ish) budget

I currently have an "old-school" Canon 40D...a beast of a camera that takes nice photos...but I'm looking for a more well-rounded camera that can capture similar photos, while also being able to use it for recording videos of my hunts, as well as using it for home footage of a growing newborn and all the life activities that will happen as a result of it.

I've tried looking thru a lot of threads, and several forums, finding recommendations ranging from Olympus TG-5/TG-6, to Olympus E-M5 Mk2, up to the Sony A6400...but I'm not a pro on any of this, and the more I search, the more I get lost in what may/may not work the best.

So, if you have a recommendation based on some background/experience that you believe would be the best fit/potential compromise of the above, I'd love to hear it...thanks!

Good morning
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but what you want does not exist in the weight you are looking for. You can get some of the features, weatherproof gets you a 5x zoom, but it starts wide angle so anything over 30-40 yards are lost. Most don't have Mic jacks either.
You can get everything you want but it will be heavier, but still fit in a back pack.
Canon has a GREAT option, the SX70HS. It has everything you mention except weatherproof and it weighs 1.4 Lbs
Here are the features:
  • 20.3MP CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 8 Image Processor
  • 65x Zoom Lens
  • 21-1365mm (35mm Equivalent)
  • 2.36m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
  • UHD 4K Video Recording, 4K Time-Lapse
  • Image Stabilization
  • Built-In Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
  • Continuous Shooting up to 10 fps
  • Zoom Framing Assist

Give me a call to discuss. I am here all day

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input Joel, of course you are one of the people I was looking for feedback from!

In your opinion, the Canon SX70HS would be a better compromise to my "ideal" wants than say the Olympus E-M5 Mk2 (with 14-150 lens)?

Appreciate it Sir!

Also, just for my own personal clarification/amusement, can you provide approx. zoom range comparisons to the following?
55mm = ???x Zoom 150mm = ???x Zoom 250mm = ???x Zoom
I am just curious how they compare (roughly), based on the listing of 1365mm = 65x Zoom...I understand it may not be a straight across the board comparison...Thanks again!

While the Olympus is a better camera for the stills, it does not have 4K video, much smaller zoom., The distances you are talking about won't work with the lens it comes with and the size. The Olympus weighs more as well. Key advantage is the stills and weatherproof

It's an awesome camera but big and heavy, 2.4 Lbs. We will hook you up if you are interested. The 600mm lens would be great, 1" sensor and latest processor. Awesome camera and water resistant too

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing some reading on the Canon SX70HS, and am intrigued by it...sounds like a decent overall camera, that is pretty good at a lot of things, but not necessarily great (although it's at a very reasonable price range).

I think my statement of decent zoom for animals a couple hundred yards away might've over exaggerated what I am looking/hoping for. A zoom of 1365mm/65x is potentially more than I would need, so maybe lowering that will open up other options for cameras that might have better low-light capabilities?

For my 40D, I have a 250mm lens, and I would definitely like to have more zoom capability with a smaller/lighter, video capable, camera set-up.

Although the SX70 is very high on my "potentials" list at this point...Thanks for that recommendation Joel!

The Sony RX10 IV does seem like a great camera, but that's more than I want to spend, and it's a heavy beast! But options/recommendations are appreciated...

Another good option is the Leica C-lux. It has a 1" sensor

Here are the specs. This runs about $1000

• 20.1MP 1" MOS Sensor
  • Leica DC Vario-Elmar 15x Zoom Lens
  • 24-360mm (35mm Equivalent)
  • 0.21" 2.33m-Dot Electronic Viewfinder
  • 3.0" 1.24m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
  • UHD 4K Video at 30 and 24 fps
  • ISO 25600 and 10-fps Continuous Shooting
  • 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
  • Built-In Wi-Fi and Bluetooth LE
  • 4K Stills Recording at 30 fps

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Any opinions/info on how the Canon SX70HS compares to the Panasonic Lumix FZ300 and the FZ1000?

Canon obviously has more zoom than both...Panasonics call out being splash/dust proof...FZ1000 has a 1" sensor...thoughts?

Not sure where you got the info about Panasonic being splash proof. Just got off the phone with a friend that works for Panasonic and he said they do not claim that

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting...thanks for the clarification!

Besides that...how does the SX70 compare to the FZ1000 in regards to photo quality/video quality/low light performance?

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Picture quality will be similar. Same size sensor on both and the latest processor for both

FZ1000 has a 1" sensor...will it have better low-light performance then?

FZ1000 has less zoom, so there would be that trade-off...

I was in the same boat not to long ago, was running a Canon 7D for the longest time but wanted something lighter with same features and capabilities plus 4K. What I settled on was Fujifilm XT-2($900/16.1oz). Takes darn good 4K, especially with a stabilized lens/tripod and the controls are the best I’ve found for a mirrorless but man...the photos are excellent.

I’ve run one for the last 2.5 years and put it through some solid abuse, definitely durable. With batteries, tripod, and 3 lenses I’m right at 5lbs. You can charge the batteries inside the camera with usb, has external mic, weather sealing, and dual memory slots for vid and photo. I dig it. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SX740 is a nice compact camera
40x optical zoom, 4k video, latest processor. No mic jack
Will fit in a jacket pocket.
The key question here is what will you be doing with the images. That will decide what level of camera you are going to need.

7Bartman

WKR
Thanks. Just trying to capture the hunt for youtube. Trying to upgrade from my current, but very unreliable GoPro set up. I wanted something lightweight with decent battery life that wouldn't break the bank.
To the OP, sorry to thread hijack, but I figured my question my relate to yours.