Does my "ideal" deer gun exist?

DavePwns

WKR
I am looking to have a 1 and done rifle for backcountry mule deer to 800 yards. I've done some research and have settled on the 6.5 PRC due to its high bc bullet options, short mag, mild recoil and good velocity retention downrange. I want to get a rifle that meets all my goals in a rifle and I'm curious if it is even possible to do since this will be my first non off the shelf rifle. Note, I will NOT be using this for elk or any large game. Any guidance on how I can achieve this (or if something is better) would be appreciated.

Goals in order of importance

1. Most important thing for me is to run a TBAC ultra-5 suppressor with this gun so I want a 20-21 inch barrel to keep the overall length down (I work with veterans with severe hearing damage all the time at work, somethings I am having to practically yell even with their hearing aids, no thank you, no muzzle break for me, I want be able to hear elk bugal when I'm 70)
2. 1/2 MOA accuracy with hand loads with 140 ish grain ammo running at least 2950 fps muzzle speed
3. Lone Peak Fuzion TI medium length action
4. Under 9 lbs w/ suppressor and ATACR 4-16 x50
5. Under 3.5k for gun only

Thanks for your input 👍

CA Ridgeline Titanium 6.5prc ($2400, 22" barrel)-- drop into a Proof SA Lightweight stock ($600, 19.5oz) vs the 31oz factory stock (sell for $250 refund)... now you start with a 5lb 4oz rifle, add Hawkins LW Hybrids (3.5oz) add the ATACR and you are at like 7.6lbs.

It isn't a medium action but you can get right at 3.00" COAL maybe even a little longer, which with 140s should be plenty. And you are over $750 below your price range.

Otherwise I don't think you have a prayer of keeping the rifle alone under $3500-
Stock: $600-700
Barrel: $700
Action: $1600
Bottom Metal: $150
Trigger: $150

And that is before any labor...

Closest to your price point with quality labor and parts is the APR Altitude

The easy button here is a Tikka magnum donor, prefit barrel of your choice and an XLR Element 3.0 chassis. No need for an expensive trigger, bottom metal or bedding.

I have a Lone Peak Ti action and its definitely nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost. If you want one, go for it.

The easy button here is a Tikka magnum donor, prefit barrel of your choice and an XLR Element 3.0 chassis. No need for an expensive trigger, bottom metal or bedding.

I have a Lone Peak Ti action and its definitely nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost. If you want one, go for it.

How close do you think this gets him to target weight? 8lb +/- before his suppressor?

It would be close depending on the barrel, either a CF or heavy fluted SS barrel is almost a requirement to make that weight class. Tikka actions are pretty light and an XLR 3.0 chassis is very light, I have one and really like it.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’m putting together something similar to what your after.

Seekins Havak Element. 6.5 PRC 21” (5.5#)
Seekins: ATC Brake, Rings, UBM Rail.
Nightforce NX8, 2.5-20x50 F2
Unknown Munitions 156 Berger’s

Mods Coming soon:
GAP Jäger Suppressor - reflex type
Bartlein 20” #4 Carbon Mod BB

The Element shoots the 156 well.
COAL of 3.065 (3.14+ mag length)
Sub 1/2 moa.
Rifle weight Total :
w/NX8 7.86. 8.11 w/can
Weight w/Bartlein. TBD

Last edited:
OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
CA Ridgeline Titanium 6.5prc ($2400, 22" barrel)-- drop into a Proof SA Lightweight stock ($600, 19.5oz) vs the 31oz factory stock (sell for $250 refund)... now you start with a 5lb 4oz rifle, add Hawkins LW Hybrids (3.5oz) add the ATACR and you are at like 7.6lbs.

It isn't a medium action but you can get right at 3.00" COAL maybe even a little longer, which with 140s should be plenty. And you are over $750 below your price range.

Otherwise I don't think you have a prayer of keeping the rifle alone under $3500-
Stock: $600-700
Barrel: $700
Action: $1600
Bottom Metal: $150
Trigger: $150

And that is before any labor...

Closest to your price point with quality labor and parts is the APR Altitude
I'll give this some serious thought, I've heard great things about CA accuracy but wasn't sure if I should go all out with a custom action or not since I'm trying trying to do 1 rifle right the first time.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
I’m putting together something similar to what your after.

Seekins Havak Element. 6.5 PRC 21” (5.5#)
Seekins: ATC Brake, Rings, UBM Rail.
Nightforce NX8, 2.5-20x50 F2
Unknown Munitions 156 Berger’s

Mods Coming soon:
GAP Jäger Suppressor - reflex type
Bartlein 20” #4 Carbon Mod BB

The Element shoots the 156 well.
COAL of 3.065 (3.14+ mag length)
Sub 1/2 moa.
Rifle weight Total :
w/NX8 7.86. 8.11 w/can
Weight w/Bartlein. TBD

A few questions,
What speeds are you getting out of the 21in barrel and what ammo?
Reason you are upgrading the barrel?
What do you like about the jager compared to the ultra 5?

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
If I were building an ultralight with a budget cap in mind - any cap at all - I would build on a Seekins Havak Element with a Proof prefit barrel.
Could I put on a 21 inch carbon fiber barrel or would that not fit? Also would I have seekins precision install the barrel?

HuntnPack

WKR
Could I put on a 21 inch carbon fiber barrel or would that not fit? Also would I have seekins precision install the barrel?

You could have Seekins build the rifle with a carbon barrel thru their custom shop at an
up-charge. ( see their Facebook page)

or purchase one seperately and have it installed.

You can also contact Straight Jacket Armory
& have them order one & install it for you.
They may even offer pre fits for the element
In the future.

I ordered a 21” Bartlein Carbon wrapped #4
Contour with their New Mod BB stainless
Blank. It’s .750 at the muzzle & my reflex style Jäger suppressor will fit. I will have it Short shanked & chambered & muzzle end threaded by StraightJacket Armory.

The Element stock will accept a #4.5 contour
With little or no modification. Larger contour requires some work.

F892FC1B-E13E-4019-A4C5-EF05505D713F.jpeg A6DD8BE2-A1D1-4CF5-8E61-17787FA2A1F6.jpeg
3rd one from left may be a #4 contour.
Also Factory barrel channel Pic.

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
Seekins Havak Element is the right answer.
69f1b7f83f9a9bc338e525231f2fd9ee.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
@HuntnPack - the Havak and Havak Element share the same prefits. Has someone from Straight Jacket told you their Havak barrels won’t fit the Element?

HuntnPack

WKR
@HuntnPack - the Havak and Havak Element share the same prefits. Has someone from Straight Jacket told you their Havak barrels won’t fit the Element?
I had talked to them a while back & at that time they had yet to determine if the element
Action was held to a tight enough tolerance
Via the pressed in sleeve To accept prefits. They offered prefits for the PH2, but hadn’t fitted Elements at That time.
They may now offer prefits for the Element.

What upgrades?

>>>----JAKE----->
I shouldn't necessarily say upgrades as much as just modifications. The rifle right now shoots 1/2" groups at 100. I personally do not like the bright stainless barrel nor the close spiral flute. I am thinking about going with a proof barrel or at least at the very least a dark earth cerakote, Right now I am an ATC brake and I am looking at shooting suppressed.