Does your whole group buy archery tags?

I’m currently planning a trip with 3-4 guys from MO to (likely) CO. We will be doing OTC archery but might also put in for a 1st Rifle and do that instead, if drawn. My question is: If you have a group this size for an archery hunt, does everybody buy tags?

This would be a leave Thursday night and come back two Sundays later trip. That leaves about 7-8 days of hunting, some of which will be spent acclimating so not really a full week of hunting. It is statistically extremely unlikely we could fill 3-4 tags. Add in pack out time, and it’s all but impossible. Not to mention, we couldn’t fit all that meat in the truck. We also probably need will not split up and go alone very often just for safety reasons being in a new, more extreme area. All those things have me thinking that all 3-4 of us spending nearly $700 in tags seems like pouring money down the drain. Maybe we should flip a coin and just have two hunters....might be easier to sell to the wives as well.

If you filled 1 out of the 4 you would be doing 25%. Which is really good for OTC Archery. More importantly, if all four of you have a weapon, then yes all four of you need a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I've seen 4 elk and a 4 wheeler in the bed of a Ford ranger.
Anything is possible.

Well if its the otc archery option you could always pick two shooters and roll with that and if ya kill one and think you want to try more just have the next guy up go get his tag in town. Make sire theres not a wait period after buying a tag though

sndmn11

WKR
Well if its the otc archery option you could always pick two shooters and roll with that and if ya kill one and think you want to try more just have the next guy up go get his tag in town. Make sire theres not a wait period after buying a tag though

They have to be purchased at a CPW office during weekdays business hours once the season starts.

*I was incorrect and have the correction below.*

Last edited:

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
Short and sweet answer is yes.

Your saying 4-5 guys going on this trip?
One vehicle?
You’ll never fit gear, bows, coolers and everything else in one vehicle for 4 guys so I assume 2 vehicles....or a trailer.

Either way, everyone should have a tag, and split up into two groups of 2 or 2 and 3 if five guys are going.

Best caee scenario, Whoever the two guys that have the more relaxed time frame, I’d consider sending out early to set up and hopefully scout/hunt an extra few days on the front end, if possible.

Rob5589

WKR
Absolutely. You'll kick yourself in the d$&k if you don't buy a tag and you get into them.

We've done three guys in one pick up and it is tight. We bring 3 150 qt coolers which eats up a ton of room straight away. Add all the rest of the gear and we're looking like the Beverly Hillbillies.

OP
G
Absolutely. You'll kick yourself in the d$&k if you don't buy a tag and you get into them.

We've done three guys in one pick up and it is tight. We bring 3 150 qt coolers which eats up a ton of room straight away. Add all the rest of the gear and we're looking like the Beverly Hillbillies.

I’m a bit worried about the space too but my friend is borrowing his dads truck with a camper shell for the Beverly hillbillies overflow lol. I also have a trailer hitch rack.

Told them we are going to pack like we’re living out of our packs and only bringing a few extras for a base camp. If we kill enough elk to need extra coolers and run out of space, I’ll gladly ship some stuff home. It would costs an extra $300+ in gas, not counting wear and tear, to get another truck there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It would probably be cheaper to rent a uhaul trailer to haul back than to ship stuff home. Sounds like you guys are on a pretty tight budget, make sure you keep an emergency fund.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Totally depends on you guys’ desires. I always hunt with my dad, and we only have one tag between us. We’re happy if we get one. But that is a dad/son situation. If I were hunting with a friend, I would get a tag whether or not they got one.

fatlander

WKR
You’re all going to inevitably bring too much gear. Treat it like a fly in hunt. 50 pound weight limit and has to fit in the pack.

As others have said, couldn’t imagine going to an OTC unit and not having a tag. Buy the tag.

cnelk

WKR
Depending on where you are planning to go, a couple guys could buy cow only tags and save a bit of $$.

I would suggest everyone weigh their gear beforehand.
If ya'll set a limit of 50-60lbs, that will quickly reduce the dreaded overflow

OP
G
Depending on where you are planning to go, a couple guys could buy cow only tags and save a bit of $$.

I would suggest everyone weigh their gear beforehand.
If ya'll set a limit of 50-60lbs, that will quickly reduce the dreaded overflow

Thanks for the cow tag suggestion.

I’m fairly experienced at backpacking. If I recall correctly, my non-hunting base weight is under 25# with my K2 3500. Add the hunting gear including binos, calls, game processing gear, range finder, probably an extra insulating top layer of clothing (usually only bring a puffy and rain jacket), and a few misc hunting items will add 5-7 pounds. I will probably ditch my tent for a tarp, which cuts about 20 ounces off to stay near a 30# base weight. Even with some ounce creep, I’ll be in the low 30s. 2 liters of water is 4.5 pounds including the bladder plus ~1# of food per day, and I’m at 3-5 days for ~40# not including the bow or rifle up to 7.5#.

That’s not that far of a drive. Just rent a truck for the drive back if you get lucky and everyone gets a tag. That would be a two day rental so not very much money at all.