Dog bit by rattlesnake

Prestjd

FNG
We had our 14 year old standard poodle get bite on the face by a timber rattler this July. Took her to the vet for steroids , pain, monitor swelling, not anti venom was give. She stayed there a few days and made a full recovery. Our vet acted very surprised of her recovery.

Years ago my dog was bit on the neck and I could not afford a Vet. After talking to the vet on the phone I was told to give him Benadryl and a baby aspirin. I found this on the Internet. Benadryl for dogs 10 mg under 30 lbs. 25 mg for dogs 30-50 lbs, 50 mg for dogs 50-100 lbs and 75 mg dogs 100 +lbs. Baby aspirin for pain. 5-10 mgs per lb of weight ever 12 hrs. This has worked for my dogs several times.

Mike7

WKR
Just wanted to say for anybody considering it, that rattlesnake avoidance training worked great for my dogs.

They say that you are supposed to have them get a periodic refresher course, but at least for one of my dogs, he saved himself and one of my kids from getting bit while backpacking, and this was years after receiving the training.

A good training program comes through our area one day each summer as they travel the nation and get hosted by local bird dog clubs. I think it was $75 the last time I took a dog.

so is there a vaccine for humans also?
I have no plans to use it if there is , I am just curious.

I'm not aware of a vaccine for humans.

Years ago my dog was bit on the neck and I could not afford a Vet. After talking to the vet on the phone I was told to give him Benadryl and a baby aspirin. I found this on the Internet. Benadryl for dogs 10 mg under 30 lbs. 25 mg for dogs 30-50 lbs, 50 mg for dogs 50-100 lbs and 75 mg dogs 100 +lbs. Baby aspirin for pain. 5-10 mgs per lb of weight ever 12 hrs. This has worked for my dogs several times.

Benadryl is great to give a dog ASAP after a snake bite; dose is 1mg/lb.

I would NEVER give a snake biten dog any dose of aspirin. I know it helps with the pain, but it actually can cause more harm than good. The snake's venom eats up the dog's clotting factors; asprin is an anti-coagulant. Combining them can push the dog over the edge and bleed out internally. I know you have had good luck with it in the past, but be very careful with it.

OP
kboatman107
Just wanted to say for anybody considering it, that rattlesnake avoidance training worked great for my dogs.

They say that you are supposed to have them get a periodic refresher course, but at least for one of my dogs, he saved himself and one of my kids from getting bit while backpacking, and this was years after receiving the training.

A good training program comes through our area one day each summer as they travel the nation and get hosted by local bird dog clubs. I think it was $75 the last time I took a dog.
I agree good snake training is key. He was trained for snakes and normally completely avoids them, but yesterday he was working some birds and I’m guessing he was to focused on the birds and got tagged by the snake.

All my dogs get the “vaccine”. One dog got bit on the face, took to my vet and they said “she has the rattlesnake vaccine and will be fine”, wrong. She later had an allergic reaction and later had to be hospitalized. About two weeks with an IV. By the time hospitalized it was too late for the anti venom treatment.

The dog survived another year, but was never healthy again. Ultimately renal problems the doc said were likely the result from the venom and ensuing reaction.

I think our case was an uncommon reaction as I have known several dogs and one person who recovered from snake bite.

My lab (different dog) killed a rattlesnake right in front of me once, scared the heck out of me. The snake coiled up and she pounced on it very quickly. Put a paw on it’s head and ripped the snake’s skin completely off. It was like she had done it before...

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Had a hunting dog bit about 10 years ago vet gave her antibiotics and she was 100% in a few weeks. Had an old farm dog when I was a kid that got bit numerous times over his lifetime never went to the vet and always healed up in about the same amount of time. Hope your Brit has the same or better outcome!

TX_Diver

WKR
How's he doing today?

I've had good luck with my dogs (done some snake training and always got the vaccine when I lived in TX and NM).

Buddy is a trainer and has had a few get hit before. To my knowledge he's never lost one. I know it does happen but if you can address it quickly I think the odds aren't awful.

Hope your dog makes a quick and full recovery!

OP
kboatman107
How's he doing today?
The vet called earlier today and said he was doing good and that she was going to stop giving him steroids sometime tonight then see how he is in the morning. She’s hoping he’ll get to come home tomorrow! The house is way to quiet without him running around pestering my wife.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Hope for a speedy recovery. Last year at my clinic we treated over 1k snakebites. You could visibly tell the ones that were bit by a rattler vs moccasin or copperhead those dogs were SICK.

Remember guys every snakebite is different and not every one gets a large dose of venom. Most copperhead victims usually respond well with old timey recipe of steroids, pain meds and antibiotics.
Moccasin usually 50% of those guys need aggressive care.

It's a general rule we'll play by ear on antivenom administration if owner can identify the snake..but if we know it's a rattler we always push for antivenom..if your dog got a full load it does some nasty nasty skit,
Renal failure was already touched on by one member. Saw one dog that was bit in the butt, owner absolutely refused antivenom cuz ole doc never gave it..Lab values off the charts already brushing the size of a basketball at presentation...made them sign an AMA..it was sickening watching the dog deteriorate overnight, when better treatment was available.
Next morning when owners came to visit dog was lateral and non-responsive ..we picked the dog up to move him for owners to visit and all of the skin from the ribs back fell off ...

If it was my dog ..he would be getting at least 1 vial of antivenin..some of these guys unfortunately need 3-4 bags.
All that being said when my 10 year old was bit by a copperhead, we did the wait and see routine, steroids..4 years later she's still doing fine..but i cant emphasize enough not to play around with rattlers

Always worries me, anytime I'm in a situation where my dog is at serious risk I'm usually far more than 45 min from a vet...

Poser

WKR
We had our 14 year old standard poodle get bite on the face by a timber rattler this July. Took her to the vet for steroids , pain, monitor swelling, not anti venom was give. She stayed there a few days and made a full recovery. Our vet acted very surprised of her recovery.

That’s impressive for that age.

Poser

WKR
Hope for a speedy recovery. Last year at my clinic we treated over 1k snakebites. You could visibly tell the ones that were bit by a rattler vs moccasin or copperhead those dogs were SICK.

Remember guys every snakebite is different and not every one gets a large dose of venom. Most copperhead victims usually respond well with old timey recipe of steroids, pain meds and antibiotics.
Moccasin usually 50% of those guys need aggressive care.

It's a general rule we'll play by ear on antivenom administration if owner can identify the snake..but if we know it's a rattler we always push for antivenom..if your dog got a full load it does some nasty nasty skit,
Renal failure was already touched on by one member. Saw one dog that was bit in the butt, owner absolutely refused antivenom cuz ole doc never gave it..Lab values off the charts already brushing the size of a basketball at presentation...made them sign an AMA..it was sickening watching the dog deteriorate overnight, when better treatment was available.
Next morning when owners came to visit dog was lateral and non-responsive ..we picked the dog up to move him for owners to visit and all of the skin from the ribs back fell off ...

If it was my dog ..he would be getting at least 1 vial of antivenin..some of these guys unfortunately need 3-4 bags.
All that being said when my 10 year old was bit by a copperhead, we did the wait and see routine, steroids..4 years later she's still doing fine..but i cant emphasize enough not to play around with rattlers

That’s wild. I was rock climbing with a friend of mine some years back. He was leading, pulled over a ledge and a copperhead zapped him right in the forehead between the eyes. He fell about 30 feet letting out a death scream. I didn’t know what happened yet when I lowered him to the ground, but he later told me that he thought that he died on the spot and was descending to hell in a semi state of hallucination. Turns out, the fangs bottomed out on his skull and he didn’t get much venom at all.

I was getting ready to repair a leaking underground water feed line for my drip system yesterday. The leak was under some excess lumber I have stacked on a couple of concrete blocks up against a stucco covered block wall right beside my toy hauler 5th wheel trailer. I’m standing there getting ready to get down on my hands and knees to dig up the line when I hear the distinct rattle of a rattlesnake coming from underneath the stack of wood! I quickly vacated the area and looking across from the other side of the trailer I can see the diamondback curled up next to the concrete block, about 14” from where my foot was! Dang, that was close, I used the snake tongs and moved him out into the desert south of the house. That is number 3 in the yard for August. I hope this thread didn’t jinx me!HA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
My German Shorthair male has been bitten twice. Once in the leg and once on his face. Both times we followed the breeder’s protocol of Benadryl and rest. No vet treatment and he was fine in a few days both times. We live in southern Arizona and the breeder has treated dozens of rattlesnake bites with nothing more than Benadryl. Antibiotics are only necessary if you suspect infection. We didn’t need them either time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuckDogDr

WKR
This was run over 200 yards from my house last night.
1 down 99 to go.
Just under 2 ft long

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
My German Shorthair male has been bitten twice. Once in the leg and once on his face. Both times we followed the breeder’s protocol of Benadryl and rest. No vet treatment and he was fine in a few days both times. We live in southern Arizona and the breeder has treated dozens of rattlesnake bites with nothing more than Benadryl. Antibiotics are only necessary if you suspect infection. We didn’t need them either time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With Benadryl, how much do you give? And did you give liquid or pill form?