Dog bit by rattlesnake

kickemall

WKR
Worked on a ranch when I was a kid and I swear the yard dogs they had hunted rattlers. They had three, one was a St. Bernard, a cocker spaniel and some mid sized mixed mutt. At least two of them would get bit a couple times a year. They would show up and be sick and swollen up for a couple days but never had any lasting effects and never went to the vet. I killed several rattlers when I heard them barking and they were baying one. Crazy! Funny thing too was the working dogs never got bit.

Reading through this thread confirmed one huge reality.....I am VERY glad to live in Michigan where there are hardly an poisonous snakes. A few Massasauga rattlers that one hears about occasionally, but I have never seen one in over 50 years of active outdoor lifestyle. Those of you who deal with them in your yards......yikes! I would much rather shovel snow for 5 months than live like that. o_O

Chase_D

FNG
I just read an article from a vet (that also bird hunts) about what to do if your dog is bit by a venomous snake. His recommendation was to give the dog baby aspirin and take them to the vet immediately.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
My dog got bit years ago in the back leg. Didn't have money for the antivenom but she got steroids, antibiotics and painkillers. The leg swole up and kind of leaked a bloody liquid for several days but she pulled through. The inside of her leg doesn't grow hair anymore though.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I run labs in field trials and hunt test and have seen a few dogs get hit during these events. Typically they get treated with Benadryl quickly and then to the Vet. They recover quickly and no issues. Snake Avoidance training definitely helps. We have a ton of Copperheads and Cottonmouths round and my Vet has told me to give my dogs Benadryl anf if they start having issue to then bring them in.

Pitter

FNG
My grandfathers Brittney got bitten when I was kid. She was ok after the vet I was just a kid so I'm not sure what the vet did. I think she was there for a day or two. She ended up being alright. I sure hope for the same outcome for you!

Mine got bit by a cottonmouth 4 years ago on her back leg, she had the vaccine. As mentioned earlier it bought more time to get her to the vet, all they said was give her benadryl. They gave me tramadol for her pain, but in 2 days she was back to normal.

She has had the avoidance class, but this one was buried in water/grass. I saw it before she got to it and moved it out of the way. She just happened to step on it after it left the trail. No more free passes for any snakes now.

Last edited:
I'm a pharmacist $600 for antivenom for a
dog is crazy cheap. Cost for our hospital for 1 dose of antivenom for a person is about $18000.

daiello91

FNG
I’ve wanted to run my bird dog for chukar but haven’t because I’m worried he get bit. Good to know it’s not deadly with a fairly quick trip to the vet.

Best of luck to your dog.

Catahoula

WKR
The one dog (shown avatar), she was bit in the face about 7 years back. Called the vet ahead, they mixed the antivenin, I gave her benedryl, got to the vet and they were ready for her. Took her in back, administered and after she was fine. Expensive day for sure. Some dogs have worse trouble than others I’m sure.

danarnold

WKR
our 50# pit got into a nest of small rattlers resulting in 5 bites all over, it was a long night and following day but she bounced back np w/o treatment. our vet said treatment would be just as harsh as the bites...

ebubedike

FNG
I have a friend whose dogs get bitten almost yearly and that is what he does. Keeps them knocked out for a couple of days and they end up fine. Just need to keep an eye out for infection too.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Our youngest, a mut, was bitten on the nose when he was 9 months old. Trip to the vet, a shot of antivenom and he was home later that day. Had a swollen spot on his nose for a day. $600 for the antivenom. He has since been snake avoidance trained like our other two and no issues since, even though we encounter lots of rattles here in the desert.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hey there I saw you're in AZ - mind sharing where you had your dog snake trained?
Thanks!

The 2 older dogs were avoidance trained by a guy in Anthem, North of Phoenix. The younger one I trained myself using a road killed diamondback and a shock collar. I also took that opportunity to refresh the 2 older dogs training. Numerous snake encounters since and all 3 are really good at staying away from rattlers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I have more experience with this than I would like. I lost a nice lab to a large rattler just over a year ago.
Most dogs will survive a snakebite from a poisonous snake other than a rattler most of the time. This is because other snakes have a neurotoxin, rattlers have a neurotoxin and a hemotoxin, and the hemotoxin is what gets them.
Your dog probably wasn't bitten by a rattler, or if it was it was a dry bite, because she would be dead by now.
If it was another poisonous snake she will feel and look like ass for awhile and be ok.
I saw a tv show once where they did various demostrations with live snakes and it showed that snakes strike at about 80 mph. so there will be swelling etc.

You'll most likely have some necrotic tissue and more swelling and she'll look like hell for awhile but she'll be ok. I would still take her in though and get the wounds cleaned and all, you might have to do that regularly for a few weeks as i heals.

It's hard to say without knowing more from the vet side but I would be willing to say it is likely greed that drives the price of necessary products price higher.

Unfortunately I have more experience with this than I would like. I lost a nice lab to a large rattler just over a year ago.
Most dogs will survive a snakebite from a poisonous snake other than a rattler most of the time. This is because other snakes have a neurotoxin, rattlers have a neurotoxin and a hemotoxin, and the hemotoxin is what gets them.
Your dog probably wasn't bitten by a rattler, or if it was it was a dry bite, because she would be dead by now.
If it was another poisonous snake she will feel and look like ass for awhile and be ok.
I saw a tv show once where they did various demostrations with live snakes and it showed that snakes strike at about 80 mph. so there will be swelling etc.

You'll most likely have some necrotic tissue and more swelling and she'll look like hell for awhile but she'll be ok. I would still take her in though and get the wounds cleaned and all, you might have to do that regularly for a few weeks as i heals.

Most rattlesnakes out west, including western diamondbacks, side winders and others only have the hemotoxin venom. Mojave rattlesnakes are the only one with both hemotoxin and neurotoxin venom. Mojave bites can be fatal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk