Dog Boot Rec - Colorado

Pup got into some nasty stickers in eastern CO last week. Looking for dog booty recommendations. Thanks!

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t beat Lewis dog boots imo. Takes some time to put them on properly but they don’t come off like other Velcro type. I’d take a look at Steve Snells video on Gun dog supply. He does a great how to video on putting them on.

tops911

FNG
Go with the Lewis boots. Eastern Colorado has some nasty stickers, I had to carry one of my dogs 1/4 of a mile after we ended up in a massive sticker field and she had sandburs packed in her feet. I used the Lewis boots and could not be happier. There is an art to putting them on and keeping them on. We have lost a boot or two over the years.

OP
coloyooper
@Muleyczy @tops911 do either of you have suggestion/preference on vented vs unvented? I assume you’re both referring to the Lewis rubber dog boots.

Thanks for the help.

JPD350

WKR
I own some Lewis boots and this year was the first time I needed to use them on my dog, I have watched the videos for putting them on but I still had an issue with them so for those of you that have used the Lewis boots I have a question.
How the heck do you keep all of the debris and sand from filling them up? I first installed them with just the duct tape but the boots quickly filled up with sand and debris. The second time I put a few wraps of vet wrap on before the tape which looked like it would be a good gasket but they stilled filled up. I am pretty sure the sand inside the boot was the reason for a spot on the top/side his paw that was rubbed a little raw.
This is a pic of how much sand I got out of the boots.20211117_085835.jpg

tops911

FNG
Wow, that would be rough on the dogs feet. Makes the unvented look like the proper choice. Where I was hunting we did not have much bare ground so the vented worked ok.

JPD350

WKR
Yea, the dog let me know when they were full. I wondered if the holes were sucking in sand each time they flexed or if the sand was coming in thru the top.

JPD350

WKR
One other thing was the sand was pretty wet which means he was sweating up a storm. I could imagine the buildup of sweat with non vented but I still think sweat would be better than sand, if the holes are where the sand is coming from

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
One other thing was the sand was pretty wet which means he was sweating up a storm. I could imagine the buildup of sweat with non vented but I still think sweat would be better than sand, if the holes are where the sand is coming from
I used them primarily in super nasty rocky country and don’t use them in snow for the reason they fill up and it’s slippery, potentially causing injury to dog. I would suggest if in sand maybe try the unvented? I’ve not experienced the burs your talking about so I can’t help with those specifically.

In regards to putting them on, i just apply duct tape backwards, sticky side out, around dogs leg/foot first. Tight, but loose enough I can turn it. Then slip boot on, careful not to stick to tape until properly fitted/aligned and tape should extend about half it’s width above top of boot. Once I’m good with where they’re at I stick boot to tape. Then apply tape around entire foot, adhering the boot to the foot and onto the tape I left extending above, careful not to go to high and get hair. Doesn’t matter really but it’s easier to get off afterwards and I’m sure dog appreciates it.

id do pictures but I couldn’t come close to replicating Steve snells video on gundog supply. https://www.gundogsupply.com/lewis-rubber-dog-boots.html

JPD350

WKR
Sand burrs are really bad in some areas of NM this year, the only place I had seen them before was in Kansas, these stickers are absolutely the worse sticker to deal with, they will stop a dog in their tracks. I'd rather pull cholla cactus out of his paws every 15 minutes!!!!!

I am guessing there isn't a good solution when it comes to sand getting into the boots but I might try this next time. Install boots like normal then vet wrap on top and up the leg a ways and secure it with a piece of tape, kinda like a vet wrap gaiter.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Lewis boots. Get a couple extra if you go that route. I lost a couple the first year I used them.

My dog really doesn't get too bothered by stickers, but crusted over snow is usually a problem late in the season and I frequently have to boot up my dog for that. I have been just using vet wrap and gorilla tape to make boots on each foot the last 4 seasons. (Gorilla tape seems to hold up better than duct tape for me, but I've used both) It's easier to put on and we can usually hunt quite a while before he wears through them. And when that happens, a couple strips of tape and you're back to hunting.

Vet wrap the foot and up the leg a little bit, then lay a strip of tape lengthwise down and set the dogs foot down on it while they are standing (need to be weight-bearing or you could get it too tight). Pull the ends up along the back of the foot and the other end up over the front and top of the foot. Usually two to three short strips horizontally applied to close it off, with a half strip circled around the top to keep it on. It's pretty quick and easy on the tailgate. I hadn't had issues with hot spots like I did with the Lewis boots, and he's never thrown one. I'll post some pictures the next time I do it. ***you do have to pay attention to how tight you tape it to keep from getting it too tight***