I've had dogs my entire life (I'm 51), but am interested in getting a second for my first time. I'm married and have a couple of college kids, but this will hopefully be my (or her...) dog for a good number of years. Additional info:
- Wife and I had a large male chocolate Lab years ago. Maybe my all time favorite dog.
- We've had two miniature schnauzers. The current one is 6. They are great dogs in many ways (including smart, small $hits, etc.)
- I'd like something bigger, but ideally that doesn't shed much. (Miniature schnauzers have spoiled us, and this probably rules out another Lab.)
- Bigger, a bit more alert and capable at guarding (I hate to use that term, as it often is interpreted more aggressively than is my intent), and it would be unnecessary icing on the cake to maybe train one again to do outdoor stuff (trail a deer perhaps).
- Airedale - great size, low shed, not scared - and was my first dog growing up.
- Giant Schnauzer - if a little is good, more is better (?)
- Catahoula Leopard Dog - wife from Louisiana, but I admit I know next to nothing about this dog. It would be a lot cooler if it was an Australian Cattle Dog