Dog breed choices for new dog/old guy

Seems to me one of the most important parts is where and how you live for breed selection. Several breeds are best in lots of space. Also how much time you are going to be around the dog. Mine goes damn near everywhere with me, I can let him out and he has plenty to roam on here without getting in trouble. That's not a situation that many are fortunate enough to have.

IMG_20210608_102022379.jpg

He is an almost constant copilot. Everyone said labs calm down at 2, at 5.5 he is finally starting to chill out.

twall13

WKR
Given the OP's description, I'm a little surprised at how many recommend GSP's. They are great dogs, no doubt, and have a very high hunting drive. They are also very athletic working dogs and require alot of exercise, much more than the typical household will provide. I've seen a few that didn't get enough exercise and it causes lots of problems as they start chewing, digging, jumping, etc. If part of the description of what you are after is "laid back" I personally wouldn't be looking at a GSP.

I'm a big fan of the Boykin Spaniel personally, but they probably shed more than what the OP wants. It's not terrible with a little maintenance, but certainly more than a lot of the other breeds mentioned here. I'll also mention that I always feel it's a shame to have a bird dog that never gets to hunt birds. If there are no plans to hunt the dog, there are other breeds, as mentioned above, that would likely be a better fit.

Shane_S4

FNG
I've had dogs my entire life (I'm 51), but am interested in getting a second for my first time. I'm married and have a couple of college kids, but this will hopefully be my (or her...) dog for a good number of years. Additional info:
  • Wife and I had a large male chocolate Lab years ago. Maybe my all time favorite dog.
  • We've had two miniature schnauzers. The current one is 6. They are great dogs in many ways (including smart, small $hits, etc.)
  • I'd like something bigger, but ideally that doesn't shed much. (Miniature schnauzers have spoiled us, and this probably rules out another Lab.)
  • Bigger, a bit more alert and capable at guarding (I hate to use that term, as it often is interpreted more aggressively than is my intent), and it would be unnecessary icing on the cake to maybe train one again to do outdoor stuff (trail a deer perhaps).
So - here's my first list. Open to comments and/or additions (please)
  1. Airedale - great size, low shed, not scared - and was my first dog growing up.
  2. Giant Schnauzer - if a little is good, more is better (?)
  3. Catahoula Leopard Dog - wife from Louisiana, but I admit I know next to nothing about this dog. It would be a lot cooler if it was an Australian Cattle Dog
Ive owned many breeds. Guard dog breeds, hunting breeds, couch potato breeds….and hands down my favorite is the pitbull. Ive had 3, all from different breeders and bloodlines and they are wonderful dogs. Mine get treated like kids. They are protective of women and kids, men not so much, have great athleticism for taking out on the trails, and are excellent cuddlers. They have a very high pain tolerance so them biting a kid because of eye poking, ear pulling, etc just really doesnt happen. My daughter was about 12 months old and grabbed my dogs junk and pinched with those razor sharp baby fingernails… the dog locked up, didnt budge, eyes watering until we got her to let go amd he jumped away to lick his wounds. Shesding is very minimal if they get a bath occasionally

KurtR

WKR
Im biased and a lab guy all the way and black. There are plenty of american dogs that have a great off switch and i have seen british dogs that never stop whining and pacing about finding the right pair to get traits of each is the key. Mine is an American dog and runs hard in training and test but isnt a fire breathing dragon by any means.

banks seasoned.jpg

Ive owned many breeds. Guard dog breeds, hunting breeds, couch potato breeds….and hands down my favorite is the pitbull. Ive had 3, all from different breeders and bloodlines and they are wonderful dogs. Mine get treated like kids. They are protective of women and kids, men not so much, have great athleticism for taking out on the trails, and are excellent cuddlers. They have a very high pain tolerance so them biting a kid because of eye poking, ear pulling, etc just really doesnt happen. My daughter was about 12 months old and grabbed my dogs junk and pinched with those razor sharp baby fingernails… the dog locked up, didnt budge, eyes watering until we got her to let go amd he jumped away to lick his wounds. Shesding is very minimal if they get a bath occasionally
Agree 100%

WRM

WKR
Wire Fox Terrier ticks your boxes, but smaller form factor. A male should be in the 18 or so pound range. Typical "chip on the shoulder' smaller terrier. Love mine, but we affectionately call him "the asshole". We have a smooth too, but she sheds as bad as any lab.

Good damn luck finding one tho. Can be hard to find a breeder.

about 4 years ago my wife wanted a miniature dachshund!!! so I got her one on her birthday and needless to say its my dog now lol that dog will flat out run 5 strait miles up hill with me, loyal as hell good watch dog and are good deer sniffer's, little hard to potty train butt great dogs. like Shane_S4 said all that aside I've had all kinds of dogs butt the best dog iv ever owned was a Pittbull butt there like kids when there little, cute little pain in the ass so spend the time with them and raise them right and they will do anything you want.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Being the owner of seven GSP's, only two at the same time, I have to agree, for a older owner over early 60's they may be too much to handle. My current GSP will be my last. I don't have the energy to put into a new dog, plus I don't want a dog who, a this point in my life will likely out live me, just not fair to either the dog or me. I will miss the enjoyment of watching them work and their never ending loyalty. Sad days on the rise.

ODB

WKR
Everyone I’ve ever known who has had a Rhodesian Ridgeback has had nothing but the highest praise for them.

Phaseolus

WKR
A tall Jack Russell Terrier can be an awesome dog, not one of those short-legged mishaps. AKC calls the tall ones Parson Russell Terriers now. We had Spark for 17.5 years and he did almost everything with me.E6D6F6CE-1E40-460E-B692-07E99E4DC125.jpeg

three5x5s

WKR
Seems to me one of the most important parts is where and how you live for breed selection. Several breeds are best in lots of space. Also how much time you are going to be around the dog. Mine goes damn near everywhere with me, I can let him out and he has plenty to roam on here without getting in trouble. That's not a situation that many are fortunate enough to have.

View attachment 300573

He is an almost constant copilot. Everyone said labs calm down at 2, at 5.5 he is finally starting to chill out.
Nice tractor