Dog breed choices for new dog/old guy

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've had dogs my entire life (I'm 51), but am interested in getting a second for my first time. I'm married and have a couple of college kids, but this will hopefully be my (or her...) dog for a good number of years. Additional info:
  • Wife and I had a large male chocolate Lab years ago. Maybe my all time favorite dog.
  • We've had two miniature schnauzers. The current one is 6. They are great dogs in many ways (including smart, small $hits, etc.)
  • I'd like something bigger, but ideally that doesn't shed much. (Miniature schnauzers have spoiled us, and this probably rules out another Lab.)
  • Bigger, a bit more alert and capable at guarding (I hate to use that term, as it often is interpreted more aggressively than is my intent), and it would be unnecessary icing on the cake to maybe train one again to do outdoor stuff (trail a deer perhaps).
So - here's my first list. Open to comments and/or additions (please)
  1. Airedale - great size, low shed, not scared - and was my first dog growing up.
  2. Giant Schnauzer - if a little is good, more is better (?)
  3. Catahoula Leopard Dog - wife from Louisiana, but I admit I know next to nothing about this dog. It would be a lot cooler if it was an Australian Cattle Dog

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If all labs are like the one I have (black male) I wouldn’t care how much he sheds, he is the greatest dog I have ever owned and the smartest too. Good luck on your search.
Man. You are making it tough. Mine was Chocolate.

I am not a Lab guy but I have considered one as an option as I get older. They just appear to be good dogs in general. That Catahoula would be off my list. Reading Wiki on them says they may not get along well with other dogs. I dont want that as I like to take my dog with me as much as possible. As much as I hate the poodle breeding into everything and the prices people get, then encouraging poor breeding practices for money, maybe a Labradoodle?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I am not a Lab guy but I have considered one as an option as I get older. They just appear to be good dogs in general. That Catahoula would be off my list. Reading Wiki on them says they may not get along well with other dogs. I dont want that as I like to take my dog with me as much as possible. As much as I hate the poodle breeding into everything and the prices people get, then encouraging poor breeding practices for money, maybe a Labradoodle?
Thanks man. Some friends of the family were strongly encouraging a Labradoodle. Appreciate the reminder. Need to check them out.

MattB

WKR
Good advice above if you want a hunting dog, but my breed is the boxer. We are on our 5th and I absolutely love the breed. They are big goofs, excellent family dogs but many think they are pit bulls and stay the F away. Short hair, shed very little. They can be dog aggressive if not properly socialized, but are awesome with kids if and when the grandkids come. Happy to share more offline.

German Shorthaired Pointer - they don’t shed much, are super versatile, friendly, don’t have the stupid lab tail that knocks everything over….
My GSPs are great hunters, tremendous pets and hell on bears, always watching for grizzlies

Attachments

• 76F32444-9DCF-4D66-A6E2-5ECDAE61B834.jpeg
    76F32444-9DCF-4D66-A6E2-5ECDAE61B834.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 7A584158-3A2E-4573-A566-CD342995F84D.jpeg
    7A584158-3A2E-4573-A566-CD342995F84D.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 65
As far as labs go, English and American might as well be two different breeds, they are nothing alike.
Good video for anyone thinking about getting one, our English fits our lifestyle perfectly aside from the fact that all she wants to do is eat and I can’t resist sharing snacks with her.
Watch until at least the swimming part, kayak stuff is good as well.

Just got a lab she’s now 6 months and she’s the greatest pup ever. Extremely smart and almost self trained. I’ve been a beagle guy but I don’t think I’ll ever go back. Best wishes

Wellsdw

WKR
If you are willing to lay down good foundations, the. As well as being willing to Send them off to a reputable trainer. You could consider a malinois or Dutch shepherd. Mine is a hell of a protection dog, herd protector, and wounded game tracker. They are absolute nightmares without training and structure.
D138D663-5F42-403D-A26A-55B5789B2741.jpeg

505Wapiti

WKR
English chocolate lab. Great family dog and my boys love him. He hardly ever barks unless there is a reason and when he does it’s a bark that will make most pause and think twice. He’s also super protective of the wife and kids when others come around but not in an aggressive way at all unless needed. He’s a great judge of character.

I was a lab guy as well, now I have two Australian labradoodles and they are the absolute perfect dog. Both of mine have the lab temperament without the lab shedding. Zero shedding! My wife sheds more. Both are great retrievers mainly dove hunting. I have trained one to be a flush dog quail hunting. They have always been calm, easy to train, super smart and friendly. I have one that is chocolate and one that is yellow. One is 55lbs and one 40 lbs. They come in all sizes from 25-70+lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
Don't rule out a shelter dog. There are some great mutts that come out of there. You can find one and get a great feel for temperament, size, shedding, etc.

Don't be afraid to be picky. We sent 1 back after a short trial run, but have gotten 2 great dogs in the last 12 years by going this route.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had Labs all my life. if looking at Labs pay attention to the English vs American breeding Like previously mentioned. same breed but different approaches to life. The shedding at Times is impressive.

Yarak

WKR
I have two Goldendoodles and these dogs are too smart for their own good
At 6 months old they know 8 commands and we’re working on more
The protection aspect of these dogs was in question until a few days ago
Neighbor walked through the bushes to the fence while I was work with the dogs
The immediately moved between the neighbor and myself (we were about 20yds apart) and both of them had this ferocious bark
This let me know they’ll protect us and aren’t afraid of people
We have a couple cats and they get along with them very well

Jimss

WKR
I'd take a look at goldens or golden=doodles. They are man's best friend and love company! Also have super soft mouths around kids and strangers.