Dog breed choices for new dog/old guy

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We just got a labroodle in hopes he would shed very little and be easy to train.
63ec3f88020fbb4ef4c24927bda8f699.jpg

We have zero experience training a puppy as our first dog was a fully trained shelter dog. Been pretty straight forward similar to what I'd expect from a lab.

Last edited:

mtnlomo

FNG
There's a saying I personally enjoy and have followed without regrets: "All dogs wish they were labs, and all labs wish they were black."

In all seriousness if you want a dog that doesn't shed, all Giant Schnauzers I have met/trained have been awesome dogs. Friendly to those they know and intimidating enough they could deter people.

This dog is on another level

We took my our dog to a trainer and had him work with the dog and show my wife how to work with her.

I thought I knew something about dogs because I have taught them basic obedience and a bunch of cool tricks...I really don't. It's like that trainer and my dog were reading each others minds, amazing from the very first lesson.

One of the biggest take aways I had was, if you aren't training the dog to do what you want, he's training you.

Last edited:
I love labs. However, I was able to trade a 45/70 for a labradoodle two years ago. This dog has been the best dog I’ve owned. He’s much like a lab, but doesn’t shed, and is more obedient than the lab he replaced.

TSAMP

WKR
X2 on the giant schnauz or maybe find a young mix Breed. About any dog will do the blood work and enjoy it. For your needs id avoid the higher strung dogs like gsp/malinos etc. I think some of the best blood tracking dogs I've seen are non sporting breeds. They will concentrate on the track and will do much better at avoiding the other distractions associated with tracking game.

Lowg08

WKR
I often shop dogs. If it was me. I’d go with the Airedale or a jagd terrier. Fits your description.

wesfromky

WKR
Don't rule out a shelter dog. There are some great mutts that come out of there. You can find one and get a great feel for temperament, size, shedding, etc.

Don't be afraid to be picky. We sent 1 back after a short trial run, but have gotten 2 great dogs in the last 12 years by going this route.
If you are worried about adopting directly from a shelter, most areas have rescue orgs that pull dogs from the shelters and place them in foster care so they can decompress and be evaluated for their personality, etc. This way, you can know a bit more about the dog before committing. If you adopt from them, it frees up a spot to pull another shelter dog, so two lives saved.

For me, I love pits. I know they get a bad rap, and have a ton of baggage, but if you spend some time and find the right fit, they are amazingly loyal dogs. I do photography for a local shelter, and get a chance to meet so many amazing pits that end up there.

TxxAgg

WKR
If you are worried about adopting directly from a shelter, most areas have rescue orgs that pull dogs from the shelters and place them in foster care so they can decompress and be evaluated for their personality, etc. This way, you can know a bit more about the dog before committing. If you adopt from them, it frees up a spot to pull another shelter dog, so two lives saved.

For me, I love pits. I know they get a bad rap, and have a ton of baggage, but if you spend some time and find the right fit, they are amazingly loyal dogs. I do photography for a local shelter, and get a chance to meet so many amazing pits that end up there.

Well said. My avatar dog was a pit. We got her at 1 yr old from a foster family. Exceptional dog...everyone loved her

I have had several labs along with other breeds. The shedding sucks but when you look at what a hassle free breed the labs are otherwise I think it evened it out for me. If I get another dog it will be a lab. I wont even have to think about it.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
All - I very much appreciate all of the input. A couple mentioned are breeds that I would really love to have a go at, but I'm trying to be honest with myself given how my wife and I are. We are pretty laid-back, so I'd hate to get one that requires a good bit of work and then I let everyone down, especially the dog. I am getting to spend a lot more time at home post-Covid, but travel will eventually return to normal.

I'm leaning towards the Airedale and Labradoodle due to temperament, activity levels, and shedding. But man, those WPGs, GWPs and GSPs sound pretty awesome and I've had my eye on those for a few years.

If you're not looking for it to do any one thing specifically I'd really look at finding a cheap mix breed in the paper or shelter. Most dogs can be trained to do anything decently and mix breeds are usually healthier. I'm always a fan of puppies or very young dogs because you just never know what somebody else put them through.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have always been a lab guy and have had a couple good ones. My wife always wanted an Airedale and I always refused saying they were too ugly! Nine years ago I finally gave in and we brought a female pup home. After all these years I have really grown to appreciate the breed. I no longer find them ugly and now appreciate a well groomed Airedale. They are a strong, intelligent and if my female is any indication, very loving dogs. You dont see many around and they can be tough to find.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
My English pointer passed unexpectedly last year, man do i miss batshit crazy bird dogs. They are definitively not laid back and she’d like a mother. We had one frenchie and added another to help us get over Murph, but man i miss those howls and that energy. We are in the market for a hobby farm, and when we get it it’s going to be a tough call between adding a English/Vizla, or I’ve been really interested in Catalouhas. I added nothing to this conversation besides reminiscing about my boy. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk