Dog breed choices for new dog/old guy

Given the OP's description, I'm a little surprised at how many recommend GSP's. They are great dogs, no doubt, and have a very high hunting drive. They are also very athletic working dogs and require alot of exercise, much more than the typical household will provide. I've seen a few that didn't get enough exercise and it causes lots of problems as they start chewing, digging, jumping, etc. If part of the description of what you are after is "laid back" I personally wouldn't be looking at a GSP.

I'm a big fan of the Boykin Spaniel personally, but they probably shed more than what the OP wants. It's not terrible with a little maintenance, but certainly more than a lot of the other breeds mentioned here. I'll also mention that I always feel it's a shame to have a bird dog that never gets to hunt birds. If there are no plans to hunt the dog, there are other breeds, as mentioned above, that would likely be a better fit.
My GSP will get worn out chasing a tennis ball - it isn’t like you have to take them for a run. Very intelligent, eager to please and is really a giant lap dog 9 months out of the year. Its important to do your research on the parents and the litter so you know the temperament.

mcr-85

WKR
Lions, bobcats, grizzly protection, trail companions, family dogs, they're pretty versatile.
Male's on the left he's around 55lbs female on the right 40lbs or so. I usually pick the smaller ones there easier to pack on the horses

View attachment 311536
Heck yeah that looks pretty dang fun to me. I have a Kemmer/Leopard cur female around 50lbs and a big dumb catahoula/lacy male that is around 65-70 lbs. I use them on the trapline and decoying coyotes when I get time. This year has been rough getting out decoying. I've only made a handful of stands.

Looking again ourselves as my old girl is winding down into her golden year(s).
Looking hard at all the wirehaired iterations.

Reactions: WRM

Button

WKR
Smart tough dogs!!
Yes they are. ‘Pepper’ was born deaf but very intelligent and well behaved. Protective as well.

She is a very compact strong dog at 47#.
She absolutely goes nuts for frisbee, especially at night with the glow in the dark on.

IdahoElk

WKR
Check out a Small Munsterlander, pointer /retriever/tracker, great calm house dog that hunts hard and close.

Adler
pDVuLtF.jpg

woTSV3C.jpg

YocLDnn.jpg

Duncan

YDhGDj2.jpg

Badseed

WKR
My absolute favorite and all around best dog I have ever owned is a black lab and mastiff mix. I got her as a puppy about 6 years ago and since then she has been nothing short of amazing. From day one, she was always by my side and has protected my two young sons on multiple occasions from snakes (killing 5 including rattle snakes), strangers walking all too slowly in front of property and even vicious ground squirrels that dared run near the kids. She will lay on the ground and let the kids put a live chicken on her without hesitation but if she shes someone she doesn’t know or some random animal is on the property she starts barking agressively and charges full sprint. She has short mastiff like hair and weights about 90 pounds so she isn’t small.

Another dog that I have had a lot of experience with is the Doberman pinscher - amazing family dog. Doesn’t need constant entertainment but somehow always in the shadows at the ready when called for. The problem is that they always seem to have some type of hip, or bladder issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I've had dogs my entire life (I'm 51), but am interested in getting a second for my first time. I'm married and have a couple of college kids, but this will hopefully be my (or her...) dog for a good number of years. Additional info:
  • Wife and I had a large male chocolate Lab years ago. Maybe my all time favorite dog.
  • We've had two miniature schnauzers. The current one is 6. They are great dogs in many ways (including smart, small $hits, etc.)
  • I'd like something bigger, but ideally that doesn't shed much. (Miniature schnauzers have spoiled us, and this probably rules out another Lab.)
  • Bigger, a bit more alert and capable at guarding (I hate to use that term, as it often is interpreted more aggressively than is my intent), and it would be unnecessary icing on the cake to maybe train one again to do outdoor stuff (trail a deer perhaps).
So - here's my first list. Open to comments and/or additions (please)
  1. Airedale - great size, low shed, not scared - and was my first dog growing up.
  2. Giant Schnauzer - if a little is good, more is better (?)
  3. Catahoula Leopard Dog - wife from Louisiana, but I admit I know next to nothing about this dog. It would be a lot cooler if it was an Australian Cattle Dog

You like labs already so why not get one of those labradoodle things? you’ll get a lab with the non shedding coat of a poodle.

gearguywb

WKR
Loved reading through this. I have had several labs, a german shepherd, and now a french bulldog. All great dogs in their own way. The Frenchie was my wife's choice and is a source of constant amusement.

The labradoodle type mix really sounds like a great choice for a medium sized dog that can go anywhere/do anything while being reasonably low maintenance.

OR Archer

WKR
For what you’re looking for I’d get a Doberman. Super smart. Protective. Shed very little. Bigger but not a horse either.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Going to express some unpopular opinions:

If looking for a puppy: Dont get too hung up on breeds and get more concerned with breeders and breedings. Generally speaking, there are more differences between individual dogs within a certain breed than there are between the breeds themselves. Especially when you look at hunting dogs. Sure, if you were looking to compete at a national level in protection work/shutz, horseback field trials or the National Retriever Trials this would be a totally different converation. But in general, for what you're looking to get out of your dog....Literally any of the BREEDS mentioned would be just fine. There are field champions, fireplace snugglers, search and rescue, and general compainion dogs in every breed. Disposition comes through specific breedings and training, not by Gallop polls of Americas Favorite Dog Breeds - 2021. Pick the dog breed that you like and start visiting breeders. A good breeder will listen to your lifestyle and let you know which, if any, of their litters would be right for you. Good breeders want their dogs going to the right homes.

If youre looking for an older dog: JUST GO LOOK AT IT. Super simple. Go to the pound and pick out the one you like. If the dog is an absolue nightmare to be around take it back.... they litterally take returns all the time.