Dog Breed Help - Here's the Parameters

MAP1

FNG
Small female Pudelpointer approx 45 lbs. They point and retrieve upland game birds plus are waterfowl retrievers. Great family dogs Not super hyper and shedding is almost zero.

Attachments

• 430A3630-2014-4A41-A5D8-8A33EDE2F96A.png
    430A3630-2014-4A41-A5D8-8A33EDE2F96A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

MJB

WKR
I don't think you could handle a Jagd, they are not for everyone you need to break them from everything.

^^^^ This. Don't get heated....but I see many guys want these higher end dogs....who have little to no experience. And it's kinda an injustice to the dogs. The guys who run the higher end dogs....the legit Jagds, Pudels, Drahts, etc are generally Hunting Machines. A non stop lifestyle.

I hunt multiple states and multiple species and I am not nearly the owner and trainer as most are.

You're kinda asking for a good, all around plinking rifle.....and ordering an Accuracy International 338 Lapua shooting system.

I've got thousands in vet bills from a pair of intact males in the home. If you're not on rural acreage, regardless of male/female....a break away dog in town can mean serious bills/suits from 3rd party.

Just asking you to seriously think about your choice....the potential downsides, and the long game. This is a 13 year investment. And it's not all Roses and Caesar Milan sometimes. More so with game bred dogs.

Reactions: MJB
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Thanks for the concern, I have no worries about the training aspect.

Papa makes sure the dog, any dog, realizes at all times WHO is calling the shots. Regardless of how much repetition it initially takes to break them of X or Y.

You'll recall I had a Rat Terrier before from cradle to grave. So I'm aware what it's like owning a dog that's for the most part kind-hearted, but that is also a lil toughie and won't take no sh*t off another Dog, and the resultant occasional squabbles that come with it that which might require a few staples here and there. Only a small number of times, but yeah.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same dog door as you and it seems like similar requirements. I bought a small munsterlander and now I want another. He is about 40 lbs but looks more like 30. He’s great around the house with or with out people, with visitors, with kids- he’s been a great dog. Hunting wise he’s done great as well - we stacked up quite a body count of quail this year!
Also, he’s a strong swimmer - although I don’t duck hunt.
All in all I couldn’t ask for a better dog. 4567D4E1-4218-4B41-BFCE-9B49DE856DDD.jpeg7FCBB5F4-2D21-4D53-A038-029EB213B1BF.jpeg3F77FC2F-D83F-433B-9954-92C7F67B3F0F.jpeg

Jagds will:
1. Chase unknown creatures into a woodpile and fight said creature for 30-40 minutes just to tell the creature who's boss.
2. Will fight with a 40lb coon just because it got bored.
3. Will chase a badger down its hole, and will have none of you trying to remove it from the situation by grabbing it's back legs and dragging it out, why. . . Because the badger looked at it cross eyed and needed to be showed who's boss.
4. Will fight take a bone from a much larger dog regardless of the consequences, because it's the boss!

My observations from my wife's aunt's jagd. . . You are basically purchasing a 4 foot 8, type A, weight lifter, with sever little man's syndrome in a dog!

Sure they are impressive and will prove lots of people wrong with their abilities, but they don't know when to quit or when enough is enough and this can lead to you listening to a growling yelp fest next to a hole in the ground wondering if your dog will be dead or just need 36 stitches and a good rabies booster to patch it up!

If your gonna get one, go whole Hog and buy 2 that way they can back each other up when they get in over their heads!

JFK

WKR
OP it sounds like you live in a neighborhood-type setting. Some of these working breeds need A LOT of excercise. Not a walk to the park, but many, many miles a day. They get antsy if they can’t roam and will tear stuff up. There are dogs I’d like to own but wouldn’t do it to them…..and I’ve got an acre.

Jagd…..don’t do it. What you described you’re looking for is a nice trainable dog. That would be like buying a formula one car for a commuter.

JakeSCH

WKR
Thanks for the concern, I have no worries about the training aspect.

Papa makes sure the dog, any dog, realizes at all times WHO is calling the shots. Regardless of how much repetition it initially takes to break them of X or Y.

You'll recall I had a Rat Terrier before from cradle to grave. So I'm aware what it's like owning a dog that's for the most part kind-hearted, but that is also a lil toughie and won't take no sh*t off another Dog, and the resultant occasional squabbles that come with it that which might require a few staples here and there. Only a small number of times, but yeah.

Its not like @MJB is a professional dog trainer or something. I bet he really has no idea what he is talking about. Lol

@TheGDog its your choice but sometimes its worth heeding advice from professionals.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
A Manchester Terrier may be worth a look. Fits some your categories.
Possibly... but if I was gonna go that route I might as well just get a Rat Terrier again. For Rat Terrier's they started off w/ Manchester Terrier... then added in Whippet and Beagle and some other things, until they were satisfied with the result.

That was one of the things I'd noticed regarding the Jagd's... that the hair is different, more bristly on the outer coat, and that the feet are more robust. Other than that... to me... they seem about the same as Rat Terrier in terms of temperament.

NOTE: In this instance when I say Rat Terrier I'm referring to the mid and larger size variants, which are sometimes referred to as Feist's in the South.

BTW... you guys.... in the down-time... while my little one is living out her remaining days... what are some WebPages/URL's you guys can recommend which go over the processes of teaching a dog to fetch shot-down birds? As I'm assuming there are multiple steps to that, such as first getting them to be Ok with and not freak out to the loud sound of the shot? I'm going to presume the temperament of the Jagd's or other breeds used for fetching birds is such that they aren't spooked by the loud sound of the gun shot?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
OP it sounds like you live in a neighborhood-type setting. Some of these working breeds need A LOT of excercise. Not a walk to the park, but many, many miles a day. They get antsy if they can’t roam and will tear stuff up. There are dogs I’d like to own but wouldn’t do it to them…..and I’ve got an acre.

Jagd…..don’t do it. What you described you’re looking for is a nice trainable dog. That would be like buying a formula one car for a commuter.

Yes neighborhood type setting at the home. But.. I work from my home, so I should almost always be able to give em activity and a training session each day.

And I'm trippin' because here you're sayin' "don't do it"... and yet... a dude has been bringing his Jagd to the local Dog Park now for several months and as my first real-world intro to 'em... and being able to interact with one... I've come away with a very favorable impression, at least, as far as ability to be socialized anyway. Seems to be pretty smart like my Brizzy was too.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Another question - When going out for Doves, lets say, what would be some things you observe in that habitat that tell you that maybe you might want to consider putting those covering on their feet?

I mean, obviously a very rocky place, and obviously if there are ANY signs of freakin' cholla anywhere in the vicinity. But what are other things you will spy in a Habitat that make you think "Whoops, better slap on the foot coverings!" ??

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
My observations from my wife's aunt's jagd. . . You are basically purchasing a 4 foot 8, type A, weight lifter, with sever little man's syndrome in a dog!

Sure they are impressive and will prove lots of people wrong with their abilities, but they don't know when to quit or when enough is enough and this can lead to you listening to a growling yelp fest next to a hole in the ground wondering if your dog will be dead or just need 36 stitches and a good rabies booster to patch it up!

If your gonna get one, go whole Hog and buy 2 that way they can back each other up when they get in over their heads!

RE: "You are basically purchasing a 4 foot 8, type A, weight lifter, with sever little man's syndrome in a dog!"

Oh ok, so like a Rat Terrier! My Brizzy was a sweetheart, but she was my lil tough girl/ scrapper if that other dog pissed her off and tried to test her or check her. They don't back down from nothin! Once it's on, it's on!

Hrmm... I gotta admit... going the route of getting 2 from the get go does make sense. Especially with crap like separation anxiety. Dunno if I could swing that expense all upfront though. Meh... perhaps acquire 2nd the year after.

JakeSCH

WKR
Another question - When going out for Doves, lets say, what would be some things you observe in that habitat that tell you that maybe you might want to consider putting those covering on their feet?

I mean, obviously a very rocky place, and obviously if there are ANY signs of freakin' cholla anywhere in the vicinity. But what are other things you will spy in a Habitat that make you think "Whoops, better slap on the foot coverings!" ??

Forget the name of the plant, but down here in so cal there is a seed that has 2 nearly half inch thorns that go straight into a paw. First time i took my buddies dog out locally for dove he carried the dog back.

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Forget the name of the plant, but down here in so cal there is a see that has 2 nearly half inch thorns that go straight into a paw. First time i took my buddies dog out locally for dove he carried the dog back.
"there is a see that has nearly" <-- This part of the sentence... WTH were you meaning to say in place of "see" are you trying to say "seed"?

Would you perhaps be referring to Foxtails? Yeah, they will burrow deep into the pads of dogs if they get caught in between the toes.

JakeSCH

WKR
"there is a see that has nearly" <-- This part of the sentence... WTH were you meaning to say in place of "see" are you trying to say "seed"?

Would you perhaps be referring to Foxtails? Yeah, they will burrow deep into the pads of dogs if they get caught in between the toes.

I edited to say "seed".

Look up "goat head seed". They are brutal.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Possibly... but if I was gonna go that route I might as well just get a Rat Terrier again. For Rat Terrier's they started off w/ Manchester Terrier... then added in Whippet and Beagle and some other things, until they were satisfied with the result.

That was one of the things I'd noticed regarding the Jagd's... that the hair is different, more bristly on the outer coat, and that the feet are more robust. Other than that... to me... they seem about the same as Rat Terrier in terms of temperament.

NOTE: In this instance when I say Rat Terrier I'm referring to the mid and larger size variants, which are sometimes referred to as Feist's in the South.

BTW... you guys.... in the down-time... while my little one is living out her remaining days... what are some WebPages/URL's you guys can recommend which go over the processes of teaching a dog to fetch shot-down birds? As I'm assuming there are multiple steps to that, such as first getting them to be Ok with and not freak out to the loud sound of the shot? I'm going to presume the temperament of the Jagd's or other breeds used for fetching birds is such that they aren't spooked by the loud sound of the gun shot?
That would be called getting a dog bred to retrieve. I can’t imagine having to train a dog to retrieve and it working acceptable. All the info I have assumes the dog is born with retrieve drive. I suppose you could force fetch what ever but wouldn’t expect much.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
@TheGDog

hey bud what’s wrong with a lab mix from the pound. Just make sure it’s like to play fetch and go from there. Chances are it’s gonna have some back yard breeder mix in it and have plenty prey drive. Put some work in to it and it will do everything your skill level wants.

The best part of a hunting dog is being able to hunt and go to the field with it, no point In Getting a dog you can’t control, not saying you can’t house break it, just saying a lot of them high prey drive dogs, if they arnt rock solid in commands which takes time and patience along with proper training, that dog will be gone the second you let it off leash and no e-collar in the word will turn it back.

get what you want but the second that dog runs a muck or kills your neighbors cat in there driveway or worse you will regret it.