Dog Breed Help - Here's the Parameters

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I'm checking out....even considering littermates or two dogs at the same time is plain stupid. You're purchasing a dog around the size of a dog door.
Yes... and also because I like my shoulder joints where they are. With some of the rips and tears I've got or had repaired.... yeah... the thought of having to reign-in some dopey bigger dog on the leash with a wild hair up it's butt to all of a sudden wanna go and pull like crazy in a weird direction and "RIP!"... not appealing to me. Nor the idea of shoveling huge horse sized turds. Did that for years as a kid, no thanks.

Nothing wrong with acknowledging your parameters. "A Man's Got to know his limitations." Right?

This thread is providing help in knowing about other breeds that fall within those parameters which might also be able to fill these various hunting needs. Breeds where because of my profession and also having virtually no relationships with others in my area who may also hunt, there'd be almost no way of me even knowing those other breeds even existed. So big thank you to yourself and all who are being kind enough to make me aware of these various breeds.

This is all me trying to do this the right way and plan well in advance. It'll be a while before I can act on any of this. I've first got to get my lumbar/saccrum injury issue straightened out. Which I have a strong feeling will require surgery eventually. I'll likely, just to say I did, go the whole Accu-puncture/Physical Therapy/Steroid Injections/Whatever-the-heck-else route first. Just so I can say I tried those first to verify they were not the solution.

I'm curious why you would think having two dogs "is stupid"? NO matter how many dogs you have... you still have to train each one individually. It just means that you've got more work each day in the beginning era. That's no big deal. I did that with my two already. Would I go right out and get two from the get go? Probably not. I think it would depend on what I observe in terms of separation anxiety in the first one. And that would be rare because I work from home exclusively now.

qwerksc

WKR
I have jagd, I love him, he is a bad ass. If you want some advice pm me.
I also have a French Brittany, I hunt the two together on birds, good fun.
The jagd is a bird finding machine, wild birds are perfect for him, planted birds don’t have a chance of getting shot, he kills the shit outta them.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Grew up having Springers, Family had a guiding business with labs and my wife grew up with French Brits. We currently have two French Brits and they are the size you are looking for. Very trainable and our retrieve ducks and geese.

Only nock I have against them is the a not great in cold wet conditions. Springers would be my choice between those two but if you don't want to trim them, then go with a French Brit

MJB

WKR
You asked about teaching a dog to fetch birds. Buy "how to let gun dogs teach themselves" it's a good resource.
I've always said lots of dogs that are well trained once, are the best teachers for the pups......but remember......IF YOU HAVE A DOG? YOU HAVE A DOG, CAUSING PROBLEMS!

2ski

WKR
I've always said lots of dogs that are well trained once, are the best teachers for the pups......but remember......IF YOU HAVE A DOG? YOU HAVE A DOG, CAUSING PROBLEMS!
This is book about the puppy learning through its solid genetics and learning how to learn. It's not a book about other dogs teaching puppies. Just to clarify.

kgk_kcc

FNG
I'll give another shout out to the English Cockers. I've had one for coming up on four years now and he does everything you could ask of an outdoor dog. I take him hiking, fly fishing, hunting, you name it. Great attitude, easy to train, loyal as can be and lots of drive when it comes to retrieving. 30lbs or so and always ready to go anywhere. Very good all-purpose dog.

qwerksc

WKR
One thing about the jagd, if you take him fishing, he is hunting, if you take him running, same, he is hunting, my jagd hunts most of the time.
So much retriever training,
You think he would bring game back to me.

Holocene

WKR
English cocker would work well for the OP's needs list.

I have a Boykin and think they would be a great fit as well. Mine is a duck machine and versatile in tight upland situations on pheasant, quail, and grouse. She has chukar hunted with me, but does not cover a lot of ground. She's a terrific family dog with a "switch" -- meaning able to go hard in the field, but wind down and cuddle with you on the couch. Which she is doing right now.

Whichever direction you go, if you get a bird dog, make sure to train often and put it in front of birds. If you realistically will not hunt the dog, a non-bird dog breed is best. Hate to see a good sporting pup not hunted.