Dog Breed Help

IdahoElk

WKR
Nice Munster. What kennel did you get it from. Looks like the identical twin to my female that I got from Herz und Seals in Dalbo MN. They make great all around hunting dogs. Mine not only points and retreives but I've got her to follow fresh blood trails from wounded deer and also find elk sheds if I get her close enough to them.
Jay Sandman at driftless kennels in Mn.
Adler is my second SM, at 2yrs old has been just a great pointer/retriever and couldn’t ask more as a family dog. I talked two of my other friends into getting a SM from Pam at Robbingun kennels and they have had the same experience1608827242493.jpeg

*zap*

WKR
I trained patrol/narco/bird dogs for a while, owned lots and lots of dogs and my advice is go to the shelters and find an adult dog that suits you. Things to look for :
Clean kennel, not a dog that runs thru his poo and pee.
Bright eyed and alert.
Eager to interact with the people walking past, tail wagging, etc.
Dog has good manners when he is out with you and comes easily when called if off leash (within reason) cut it loose in their fenced area and let it have 5 minutes to do what it wants to do and then call it over....
With an adult dog (over 1 year) you know exactly what your getting.
good luck

AZmark

WKR
Jay Sandman at driftless kennels in Mn.
Adler is my second SM, at 2yrs old has been just a great pointer/retriever and couldn’t ask more as a family dog. I talked two of my other friends into getting a SM from Pam at Robbingun kennels and they have had the same experienceView attachment 245543
Oh.. my mistake, thought it was a LM. My screen resolution was off and he looked black and white. I see now. I have a couple of friends with SMs and they are great dogs also. My LM is a little more relaxed than my friends SMs. Great family dogs also.
Picture of my LM with grouse in my avatar

DJB

FNG
For what your looking for I would go to the shelter and find an adult dog that has the temperment and size your looking for. We have Drahthaars and they are great dogs but if we were not using them for bird hunting/blood tracking we would go with an adult dog from the shelter.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
I trained patrol/narco/bird dogs for a while, owned lots and lots of dogs and my advice is go to the shelters and find an adult dog that suits you. Things to look for :
Clean kennel, not a dog that runs thru his poo and pee.
Bright eyed and alert.
Eager to interact with the people walking past, tail wagging, etc.
Dog has good manners when he is out with you and comes easily when called if off leash (within reason) cut it loose in their fenced area and let it have 5 minutes to do what it wants to do and then call it over....
With an adult dog (over 1 year) you know exactly what your getting.
good luck
Actually, if actively hunting the dog is not of interest then this is the very soundest of advice. If I didn't bird hunt as a passion and expect a lot of my dog in the field I would opt for a rescue myself.

*zap*

WKR
One of my best waterfowl/upland dogs was a pound mix breed. Actually she was the best dog I ever owned, her name was Zap.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
passinggas33
Thank you to all for your advice and opinions. I’ve made a list and presented it to the “boss” for her to look over and start narrowing it down to a couple to look at more closely.
I, like many of you, love the idea of a shelter dog. My concern with a shelter dog and many mixed breeds is if it would be hypoallergenic or not. Often times the local shelters aren’t sure of what breeds some dogs are, and getting a dog that triggers my allergies would be bad news. We’ve had the poodle mix breeds before and know they don’t trigger my allergies, and that is why we continue to come back to them as a main option. But again, thank you all for suggestions. We will research them more and see if they fit the bill for our next 4 legged friend.

NE1022

FNG
Currently have two GSP's and female black lab, all residing in the house. Fortuanately my wife is on board w it. The GSP's are working dogs. The lab is for my sanity. She is my first female hunting dog after having large males and I have been pleasantly surprised. Have always had a lab in the mix.

Antares

WKR
A lot of these suggestions aren’t hypoallergenic.

I like the field breed standard poodle suggestion. I’d do that before any of the doodle mixes.

wheaton terriers are hypoallergenic and around 50 lb. plus nice eyelashes

Last edited:

Inhunter

FNG
Rat terrier could be a good option. They tend to be great camp/farm dogs. Ours is 100mph outside. A lazy couch potato inside.