Dog Breed Help

So my wife and I have finally decided it is time to get another dog after are other died about 2 years ago. We previously had a cockapoo (yes, a real manly dog 🙄). Anyway, I am looking for some advice from people that I trust, hence I turned to Rokslide. So here are what we are looking for in a dog. It needs to be hypoallergenic. It will be an “inside” dog for my wife’s sake. Medium sized. And one that I can train as I would like to take him hiking and maybe even hunting once in a while. So tell me what breeds you guys have, and any suggestions for us.

Along these lines, we had talked about a goldendoodle a couple of times. Does anybody have one? And can share their thoughts?

Like always, thanks to the best group in the world for the advice!!

IdahoElk

WKR
Golden doodle. I have one and a Small Munsterlander and the gd goes hunting and even retrieves birds, great house and hiking dog with great house manners.

Maki35

WKR
Pudelpointer.
A friend got one last year. The dog usually has a medium length hair, but his pudelpointer has short hair. Almost looks like GSP (I prefer dogs with short hair.) It is a pure breed, He brought it from a pudelpointer breeder as a hunting dog. The dog is well behaved and very good at upland hunting (I've been out hunting with him & his dog.) His dog loves to hunt and obeys his commands (part of training.)

My friend use to have GSP's, but his daughter has allergies so the dogs were keep outside.
His new dog, the pudelpointer gets to stay inside the house.

Last edited:
Pudelpointer.
A friend got one last year. The dog usually has a medium length hair, but his pudelpointer has short hair. Almost looks like GSP (I prefer dogs with short hair.) It is a pure breed, He brought it from a pudelpointer breeder as a hunting dog. The dog is well behaved and very good at upland hunting (I've been out hunting with him & his dog.) His dog loves to hunt and obeys his commands (part of training.)

My friend use to have GSP's, but his daughter has allergies so the dogs were keep outside.
His new dog, the pudelpointer gets to stay inside the house.
Straight up lab. They will always love you.

zacattack

WKR
So my wife and I have finally decided it is time to get another dog after are other died about 2 years ago. We previously had a cockapoo (yes, a real manly dog 🙄). Anyway, I am looking for some advice from people that I trust, hence I turned to Rokslide. So here are what we are looking for in a dog. It needs to be hypoallergenic. It will be an “inside” dog for my wife’s sake. Medium sized. And one that I can train as I would like to take him hiking and maybe even hunting once in a while. So tell me what breeds you guys have, and any suggestions for us.

Along these lines, we had talked about a goldendoodle a couple of times. Does anybody have one? And can share their thoughts?

Like always, thanks to the best group in the world for the advice!!
Ours is 75% poodle, 12.5% lab and 12.5 golden. I don’t think I’ll ever own anything that isn’t some kind of lab/golden/poodle cross. He’s super smart, loves the family and doesn’t shed. He loves to swim, camp, hike, run. He is kind of a coward though, one night a raccoon came through our tent wall and he was ran to the other side of the tent and got in my sleeping bag. They are kind of a crap shoot as to what kind of fur they will have though.

OP
passinggas33
Thanks guys. Lots of great feedback and ideas. I’ll be looking at all these suggestions. Keep them coming!!

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
Agree on the Draht. Owned Labs all my life and can’t beat them, but you want a medium size dog. When my last Lab died thought I’d try something new and decided I wanted a versatile dog who would point. I hunt a lot of grouse, woodcock, and pheasant. Pudelpointer, Griffon, and Drahthaar is what ai narrowed it down to. All 3 can be a little hard to find. All I can say is this dog is magic. Great house dog, great hunter, different but as much a family member and friend as my Labs. Absolute character to boot.

Attachments

• 0A768E8E-8F29-45D6-8161-DCC5CF7FB7A8.jpeg
    0A768E8E-8F29-45D6-8161-DCC5CF7FB7A8.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 41A057B6-8E77-4316-8E37-C0B8FD849AC0.jpeg
    41A057B6-8E77-4316-8E37-C0B8FD849AC0.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 59

IdahoElk

WKR
My little goldendoodle actually retrieved one of these Chukars today.

mYMEIMx.jpg

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
A high energy dog, but I'm partial to the black mouth cur. Very intelligent, great with kids, and very athletic. Mine hikes with me, I ride horseback 20 miles at a time and he keeps right up with me. Even at 8 years old. A perfect companion for me. They are squirrel dogs, coon dogs, cat, hogs and even decoy dogs for coyote hunting

TSAMP

WKR
Reading as you might hunt it, I would not reccomend a draaht or a pudelpointer to you. They are great dogs but the energy levels are more than most would like to deal with. If you aren't actively hunting them it becomes a chore. Fact is they are a Ferrari and your looking for a daily driver. No offense.You won't find many reputable breeders willing to sell either breed as a mainly companion dog. Also PP is not hypoallergenic. I like the golden doodles vases on your stats. although with ur medium size request you might look at the "minis" neighbor has one and its a delight and very intelligent. Around 45 lbs.

sndmn11

WKR
Reading as you might hunt it, I would not reccomend a draaht or a pudelpointer to you. They are great dogs but the energy levels are more than most would like to deal with. If you aren't actively hunting them it becomes a chore. Fact is they are a Ferrari and your looking for a daily driver. No offense.You won't find many reputable breeders willing to sell either breed as a mainly companion dog. Also PP is not hypoallergenic. I like the golden doodles vases on your stats. although with ur medium size request you might look at the "minis" neighbor has one and its a delight and very intelligent. Around 45 lbs.

This bit of advice is the gem of the thread so far.

cavu

FNG
5 Weeks ago, family picked up a Lagotto Romagnolo pup. They are known as truffle hunters however, they were initially breed as water dogs. Highly intelligent, loyal, hypoallergenic, 25-35 lbs....I already have her fetching and dropping. She has the entire family wrapped around her paw.

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 31

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
A high energy dog, but I'm partial to the black mouth cur. Very intelligent, great with kids, and very athletic. Mine hikes with me, I ride horseback 20 miles at a time and he keeps right up with me. Even at 8 years old. A perfect companion for me. They are squirrel dogs, coon dogs, cat, hogs and even decoy dogs for coyote hunting
They can help the kids with their homework as Well. These dogs do what you are doing and figure it out quick.