Dog Breed Help

slvrslngr

WKR
Reading as you might hunt it, I would not reccomend a draaht or a pudelpointer to you. They are great dogs but the energy levels are more than most would like to deal with. If you aren't actively hunting them it becomes a chore. Fact is they are a Ferrari and your looking for a daily driver. No offense.You won't find many reputable breeders willing to sell either breed as a mainly companion dog. Also PP is not hypoallergenic. I like the golden doodles vases on your stats. although with ur medium size request you might look at the "minis" neighbor has one and its a delight and very intelligent. Around 45 lbs.
Spot on. If you’re not a keen bird hunter I’d stay away from the hard charging breeds. A well bred doodle of some flavor will likely fit your needs. Get a rescue if you can.

OP
passinggas33
I love all of these suggestions. I would have to agree that many of you are right in that some of these “hunting breeds” may require more physical attention/exercise than my wife will probably give them while I’m at work. As for me taking them “hunting”, it would be more for a companion while I’m solo out there, and less of as a pointer, if that makes sense. I’m not much of a bird guy, so unless I can train it to use my spare binos to look for big game, it probably won’t be much help. Though after reading the thread about pack dogs hauling some guys gear, I just may have to saddle one up.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the Airedale suggestion. Super cool dog, can hunt, can hang out, not insane drive if you don't want that. It's hypoallergenic and it's also tough. I'm looking at picking up one from lines out of Texas in the next year or two.

I own working coonhounds, GSP's , and game pitbulls. That's probably over your head, but what it really translates to is "get a dog that matches your lifestyle." My pits are full speed working, super calm at home. I like to obedience train and watch TV on the couch with my pitbulls, they're saints indoors. I like to hunt birds and blood trail with my hounds, they're rocket scientists compared to the bulldogs, but the hounds are batshit crazy inside the house..

sndmn11

WKR
I'd just go adopt a mutt puppy from the pound and train it in basic and consistent obedience, if you can figure out what coat type it would be. The best dog I had was a lab mutt and I would have adopted another when she passed, but we had a 3 month old infant and my wife wanted to be certain of the breed. So we ended up with a non-hunting Griff and she is pretty cool too.

Maki35

WKR
Agree on the Draht. Owned Labs all my life and can’t beat them, but you want a medium size dog. When my last Lab died thought I’d try something new and decided I wanted a versatile dog who would point. I hunt a lot of grouse, woodcock, and pheasant. Pudelpointer, Griffon, and Drahthaar is what ai narrowed it down to. All 3 can be a little hard to find. All I can say is this dog is magic. Great house dog, great hunter, different but as much a family member and friend as my Labs. Absolute character to boot.
Nice looking dog. One of my other hunting buddies wants a Drahthaar for his next dog. He currently has two German wirehair pointers.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Nice looking dog. One of my other hunting buddies wants a Drahthaar for his next dog. He currently has two German wirehair pointers.
Awesome dogs, but they’re working hounds and aren’t house pets. Important to make the distinction or you will be unhappy with the time commitment.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
My Draht is an extremely good house pet. As good or better than any of my Labs.
I bird hunt, for about two months out of the year. He is great 12 months a year. If you do not have time to spend with your dog then any breed can give you trouble. I agree, to get a bird dog from good stock and not hunt him is not ideal. Not fair to the dog to some extent, but at the same time not of importance. The dog needs you, he needs exercise, he needs activity. We both work full time and the dog is on our gated deck all day. Gets tons of time with us on weekends and lots of walking before and after work. He is prey driven no doubt, but loves his walks. All he needs.

I love these questions! Much like asking what the best caliber is for elk! I've had labs, GWP's Griffs and now I have a Pudelpointer and a Slovakian Wirehair. A well bred bird dog needs a job. Bored dogs are not good for themselves or your sanity. I've heard both good and bad with doodles.

Painless

FNG
When I was in your shoes I went with a wirehaired Griffon, he is a fantastic dog, we have been working on obedience most of this year but he is extremely birdy and points naturally. Great dog...........

Maki35

WKR
7raptor- Yes, hunting dogs have a drive to hunt. They are active. On the off season, my friend is constantly training his dogs (after work & weekends). Once the season opens, he hunts them every week. He's constantly working with his dogs. He loves his dogs. (but one is getting old. and he would get a Drahthaar next.)

Ours is 75% poodle, 12.5% lab and 12.5 golden. I don’t think I’ll ever own anything that isn’t some kind of lab/golden/poodle cross. He’s super smart, loves the family and doesn’t shed. He loves to swim, camp, hike, run. He is kind of a coward though, one night a raccoon came through our tent wall and he was ran to the other side of the tent and got in my sleeping bag. They are kind of a crap shoot as to what kind of fur they will have though.
Lab Chessy cross. Incredible dogs

ODB

WKR
I honestly dont think you can beat a drahthaar/GWP. Absolutely fanominal house dog and non stop when in the field.

A very good friend has three. I think for a dual-purpose dog you are right. Manny the Elder is flat out an amazing dog.

Wellsdw

WKR
I think you have to ask yourself when it comes to a dog, how much time everyday am I going to be actually working with the dog in the first 12-18 months. That should dictate breed selection. There’s exceptions to all dogs regarding being different to the generalizations in breeds. But it’s hit or miss and a gamble to buy one hoping the dog is different than what most are known for.

AZmark

WKR
My little goldendoodle actually retrieved one of these Chukars today.

mYMEIMx.jpg
Nice Munster. What kennel did you get it from. Looks like the identical twin to my female that I got from Herz und Seals in Dalbo MN. They make great all around hunting dogs. Mine not only points and retreives but I've got her to follow fresh blood trails from wounded deer and also find elk sheds if I get her close enough to them.