Dog First Aid Kit

cdods

FNG
Do you guys have premade first aid kits for your dogs in the field, or have you stockpiled various supplies? If premade what manufacturer do you use? If stockpiled what items have you included in your kit?

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely!! Great idea/must have

later today I will look at mine and pm you if I remember

I dated a vet tech way back in the day and she Made and gave me a kit, since then I have taken stuff out and added stuff. I use it not often but it is on top of my check list when me and the pack head out.

some things off the top of my head that I always have on hand -

eye goop- have to get from the vet it’s for scratches and abrasions

eye flush/saline first aid isle

rimadel - talk to the vet

staple gun- had to use it once won’t be without it

gauze

rubbing alcohol

athletic tape

Benadryl

leatherman

triple antibiotic ointment

scissors

toe nail clippers (for dogs not you)

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys have premade first aid kits for your dogs in the field, or have you stockpiled various supplies? If premade what manufacturer do you use? If stockpiled what items have you included in your kit?
Also I don’t know if your talking manufacturers as in brand of first aid kit or manufacture of supplies...

I built my own and stuff it into a Plastic tote Tupperware type thing I bought from fleet farm.

the premade ones are a good idea and probably would be enough to get you started, or get you out of a pinch, but you can also google dog first aid kit components click on any of the results and head over to amazon and go nuts.

good luck and I hope it’s a huge waste of money because youll never HAVE to use it..

MR5X5

FNG
Skid Plate
EMT gel
Cling
4x4 Steri pads
Hydrogen peroxide
Ace bandage
Pliers fro porcupines
Chunk of bicycle inner-tube to build armor for a leg wound
Duralctin - for "general" aches and pains
Rimadel - for "real" aches and pains
Scissors
Water jug.

Pretty simple approach - Patch the little holes, secure the big ones, transport.

Last edited:
OP
C

cdods

FNG
Pretty simple approach - Patch the little wholes, secure the big ones, transport.
I'm a nurse so the actual treatment side of it isn't too far removed, but the more often utilized and less thought about supplies is what I'm thinking of. I got my first bird dog this year and she got into a porcupine the other day, luckily I had a leatherman. That really got me thinking.

Brianmp01

WKR
EMT gel
Cling. 4x4 Steri pads
Hydrogen peroxide
Ace bandage
Pliers fro porcupines
Chunk of bicycle inner-tube to build armor for a leg wound
Rimadel
Scissors
Water jug.

Pretty simple approach - Patch the little wholes, secure the big ones, transport.
I would be careful i don't think you are supposed to use hydrogen peroxide on dogs.

eamyrick

WKR
-Rimadel
-Eye/Wound Wash
-Plenty of wrap options (the make one that taste bad so dogs don’t chew on it.
-Stapler from vet. My vet is a gun dog guy and uses them on his dog. Said they are east to take out and great for the field.
-Tweezer for ticks and small thorns
-Pliers, I use a leatherman for larger thorns
-A quail guide I know made a bone/shed device with rope that goes behind the head for when they go after burns in thorn or bite porcupines. Works great for getting thorns out of the mouth.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Think through then practice a way to carry your dog back to trailhead. I came up with using my lightweight wool baselayers, that I usually carry on every trip regardless of weather, but the setup varies depending on which limb is damaged. General concept is put dog in clothing, then tie knots so dog doesn't slide out but can still breathe, then clip knots to front of exo pack upper straps, then use my arms to assist.

I had had to carry my spaniel without this setup when he blew out his knee and carrying a panicked hurt 30lb dog two miles in your arms is difficult. You have to be super careful and watchful so the damaged limb doesnt snag on limbs or rocks. Would have been a huge problem if dog weighed more.

Fatcamp

WKR
Think through then practice a way to carry your dog back to trailhead. I came up with using my lightweight wool baselayers, that I usually carry on every trip regardless of weather, but the setup varies depending on which limb is damaged. General concept is put dog in clothing, then tie knots so dog doesn't slide out but can still breathe, then clip knots to front of exo pack upper straps, then use my arms to assist.

I had had to carry my spaniel without this setup when he blew out his knee and carrying a panicked hurt 30lb dog two miles in your arms is difficult. You have to be super careful and watchful so the damaged limb doesnt snag on limbs or rocks. Would have been a huge problem if dog weighed more.

Need a picture.

Hoghead

WKR
In my hog hunting pack I carry a small kit. 2 staple guns hemostats saline solution to flush wounds trauma pads and and gaus wrap. When my dogs get cut I clean the wound asap make sure no fox tails or dirt is in the wound. Then I staple the cut leaving a small spot for fluid to drain. I'll use a pad and wrap the wound to keep it clean. On gushers I use blood stop powder pads and wrap. I am normally 1-2 hours from home and have more stuff there. I have saved a lot of dogs this way. If its really bad I'll take them to the vet next day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
A beard trimmer, big irrigation syringe, iodine solution, a stapler, antibiotic ointment, and some vet wrap can save you a lot of trips to the vet for superficial wounds.

I have GSPs. Ask me how I know.

MR5X5

FNG
I would be careful i don't think you are supposed to use hydrogen peroxide on dogs.

Agreed. Not the best for people or dogs, but in a triage situation it is a good easy option. It's good for initial wound flushing, and in a pinch to induce vomiting. But definitely not a daily wound care item.

As an aside - had a pup with good barb rip this year. My "earth muffin" better half insisted on Manuka Honey for wound care. Seemed to work just fine.

Last edited:

MR5X5

FNG
-A quail guide I know made a bone/shed device with rope that goes behind the head for when they go after burns in thorn or bite porcupines. Works great for getting thorns out of the mouth

I could use some help on just what this is. Freaking porcupines!

kpk

WKR
EMT gel is great. I used this on my dog countless times. It's almost like honey and makes a sticky mess just like honey but it sure works.

Bonehammer

Lil-Rokslider
Might be a dumb question, but what kind of staple gun do you recommend? Just any old small one from the hardware store?