Dog First Aid Kit

you do if you want to induce vomiting if they swallow something they aren't supposed to. 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs up to 3 tablespoons. and stand back its pretty instant.
I was dogsitting a mutt that belonged to my girlfriend, who happened to be a veterinarian. Bruno (the mutt) managed to jump about 5 times his height to get onto a counter and ate a loaf of banana bread, a bag of Halloween chocolates, 2 pounds of parmesan cheese, and $64 in cash. I called the gal, she said to use peroxide, and within about 60 seconds, he barfed up this meatloaf looking football of all of his shenanigans. It was pretty impressive.

MR5X5

FNG
Staples...hmmmm...Last resort. Sealing that "field cleaned" wound is not something to be taken lightly. My paramedic hunting partner packs one and we have never decided to employee it, even with some pretty gaping wounds. Preference it to use steri pads and cling if at all possible. If you end up stapling, your next stop probably needs to be a vet to get the staples out, followed by a proper cleaning and closing.

MR5X5

FNG
Also...will add it to my list, but probably my most important piece of 1st aid gear is a skid plate. Barbed wire is my biggest concern. If I was running hounds after sharp game, I'm sure I'd have a whole other set of concerns/gear.

FWIW I use a Mendota strapped to my setters flying at light speed!

Last edited:

Hoghead

WKR
Staples...hmmmm...Last resort. Sealing that "field cleaned" wound is not something to be taken lightly. My paramedic hunting partner packs one and we have never decided to employee it, even with some pretty gaping wounds. Preference it to use steri pads and cling if at all possible. If you end up stapling, your next stop probably needs to be a vet to get the staples out, followed by a proper cleaning and closing.
I agree you need to take the time to get the cut clean. I can't tell you how many times I've had to use the staples but I have never had any problems. I have a staple remover works great. I normally start antibiotics after a hog get one of my dogs too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Might be a dumb question, but what kind of staple gun do you recommend? Just any old small one from the hardware store?

No, these are specifically for wounds are very different than regular staplers. Google "skin stapler", "wound stapler", or "surgical stapler." You can find sterile, disposable units for $15-30. They'll come preloaded with 30-50 staples. As mentioned earlier, a muzzle is a really good idea.

I feel like this needs to be said, buying a stapler does not make you a vet. Yes, you can close up some simple rips and cuts, but don't overestimate your ability. Infection is going to be your worst enemy so keep it clean and monitor the dog closely for early signs of sepsis (fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, etc.). If anything starts to go sideways, it's off to the vet ASAP. We owe the dogs at least that much.

MR5X5

FNG
Hey Hoghead - Sounds like you've been deep in it. You running dogs on hogs by chance. Got to think that (and lions and bears) are super tough dogs!

Tilley

FNG
I have not seen this listed, however I carry some electrolytes (not Gatorade type!) and a couple of packs of honey.

Hoghead

WKR
I will carry ice packs too in the summer heat stroke is real. I use wilderness athlete dog hydration products. I will usually get them some a hour before we hunt and on a long hunt a few hours in seems to help in hot weather.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tgoode

FNG
I'll second have pliers or forceps if your going to be hunting in an area with porcupines. Can be very helpful in pulling quills out.