Dog food

Mosby

WKR
What are you feeding your pups and adult hunting dogs? I am getting a couple of new pups over the next 12 months and I am revisiting what I have fed my dogs in the past. One of the brands I previously used isn't locally available anymore and that (and boredom) got me thinking and researching new feed.

I will start my pups on whatever the breeder has been feeding them and transition over to something around 30/20 after that. I do not plan on using anything that is grain free.

I think there are a number of quality feeds available and some of what people use is based on sponsorship, availability or cost. I don't think there is a "best" brand but some might work better than others for specific dogs. Most field trial breeders I know use PPP and one uses Pro Pac. I am familiar with Dogfoodadvisor.com so no need to post the link. I like reading it but but would prefer to go with experience related to field trial and hunting dogs.

I have decided to stay local and buy what is available from local feed stores and not grocery stores, Chewy.com or some of the other pet stores. Fortunately, I can get Purina Pro Plan, Victor, Diamond, Sportsman Pride and Pro Pac from local business so the solution is not far away.

Let me know if you have specific experience with any of the above good or bad and if you stopped using a feed, why. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I did a ton of research when we got our pup. It had been some years since our last lab died and grain free had fallen out of favor. Purina pro plan came up several times just behind the expensive boutique brands so that's what I went with. We also use salmon oil since labs can have sensitive skin. He's doing great, growing like crazy, fantastic coat, endless energy.

Pro plan for us... i listened to a podcast with a researcher at purina that 'sold' me. Seemed like a lot of common sense, vs. marketing/hype. My dogs do very well on it

ICTHRUU

FNG
My labs never seems to like Pro Plan for whatever reason. I’ve been feeding Nutro Ultra Superproformance. It’s about a 30/20 feed.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
The vizsla I recently lost did not like PPP but she was a finicky eater. She didn't like Diamond either. My wife's dog will eat anything dropped into her bowl. I will probably go with PPP, Victor or Diamond for the new pups. They are all within a couple of bucks of each other and I can get them in 50 lb bags. I can also get them from a local feed stores that I drive by every week. I have some time to figure it out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feeding our Weim Taste of the Wild. I have been thinking of switching food but he appears to be doing very well with tons of energy. I may have to look into PPP.

Diamond is not an option as my wife is worried it gave our last dog diabetes.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Feeding our Weim Taste of the Wild. I have been thinking of switching food but he appears to be doing very well with tons of energy. I may have to look into PPP.

Diamond is not an option as my wife is worried it gave our last dog diabetes.

I think Diamond makes Taste of the Wild fwiw but probably a different formula. Diamond had a big recall when my dogs were pups and I never went back but I am trying to stay open minded. They sell a lot of dog food. PPP just seems to work for hunting dogs but my vizsla used to walk away from it. Drove me crazy.

I hope to find something they like, do well on and stick with it.

I think Diamond makes Taste of the Wild fwiw but probably a different formula. Diamond had a big recall when my dogs were pups and I never went back but I am trying to stay open minded. They sell a lot of dog food. PPP just seems to work for hunting dogs but my vizsla used to walk away from it. Drove me crazy.

I hope to find something they like, do well on and stick with it.

Yes, Diamond does make Taste of the Wild. Interesting thing is they also make Professional which is what we fed our dog before had to switch because we couldn't get Professional any more. But, like you said, lots of different formulas.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
One of the dog foods I have been looking at is Sportsmans Pride. It is made in Alabama and they are a sponsor of the National Championship in Tennessee. It is made by Sunshine Mills and after some research I found that Sunshine is SQF certified. From their website:

The SQF Certification Program for the manufacturing of pet food is required to meet the same exacting standards as those found for the manufacture of food for human consumption. Sunshine Mills is proud to have achieved and maintain the SQF Certification at each of its manufacturing facilities. Needless to say, we are very proud of this achievement and our Quality Assurance Team is tirelessly working to improve our processes to not only meet today’s standards but tomorrow’s as well.

I have also determined that Victor is also SQF certified. I am not an expert but it seems that this type of certification is something to consider. It would seem to provide some level of assurance on quality and consistency. Maybe food safety. I haven't found anything yet on Diamond or Purina. I might email them for clarification.

The dog probably won't notice but I thought I would mention it.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I trust Purina PRo Plan. Also, they sponsor/support a lot of hunting dog trial activities so I like to support them.