Dog food

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I used purina pro plan for years I ordered a semi load at a time. All my dogs done great on it and they hunted between 4-7 times per week.

Been using Fromm fish based weight management for my 10 year old. Puppy blend for the 9 month. I hunt American Water Spaniels

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
This is what we are using

Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20 Adult Dog Food https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK5SWR0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ewk-EbTT0TY64

I use to go to dog shows when I was a kid and Eukanuba was extremely popular with the top breeders.

I think it is as good as any feed out there. I live out in the country and it would take me close to 1 1/2 hours to get to a pet store that carries it. I pulled this off their website fwiw:

The American Institute of Baking (AIB) International, a well-respected and leading independent certification authority that conducts safety and sanitation inspections of human food plants, also conducts independent inspections of our pet food plants each year. We volunteered to undergo this rigorous inspection nearly 20 years ago because we wanted independent validation that our quality standards were well integrated throughout our manufacturing process. And for nearly 10 years, we’ve consistently received their highest ranking of “Superior,” a rating that many human food producers envy.

What are you feeding your pups and adult hunting dogs? I am getting a couple of new pups over the next 12 months and I am revisiting what I have fed my dogs in the past. One of the brands I previously used isn't locally available anymore and that (and boredom) got me thinking and researching new feed.

I will start my pups on whatever the breeder has been feeding them and transition over to something around 30/20 after that. I do not plan on using anything that is grain free.

I think there are a number of quality feeds available and some of what people use is based on sponsorship, availability or cost. I don't think there is a "best" brand but some might work better than others for specific dogs. Most field trial breeders I know use PPP and one uses Pro Pac. I am familiar with Dogfoodadvisor.com so no need to post the link. I like reading it but but would prefer to go with experience related to field trial and hunting dogs.

I have decided to stay local and buy what is available from local feed stores and not grocery stores, Chewy.com or some of the other pet stores. Fortunately, I can get Purina Pro Plan, Victor, Diamond, Sportsman Pride and Pro Pac from local business so the solution is not far away.

Let me know if you have specific experience with any of the above good or bad and if you stopped using a feed, why. Thanks.
I use the Pro plan 30/20. I used this for my GSP up until she was about 8 then switched to the 26/16 blend. I have also used the Eukanuba 30/20 but the Pro Plan has more food for the money. Either option is great IMO

What are you feeding your pups and adult hunting dogs? I am getting a couple of new pups over the next 12 months and I am revisiting what I have fed my dogs in the past. One of the brands I previously used isn't locally available anymore and that (and boredom) got me thinking and researching new feed.

I will start my pups on whatever the breeder has been feeding them and transition over to something around 30/20 after that. I do not plan on using anything that is grain free.

I think there are a number of quality feeds available and some of what people use is based on sponsorship, availability or cost. I don't think there is a "best" brand but some might work better than others for specific dogs. Most field trial breeders I know use PPP and one uses Pro Pac. I am familiar with Dogfoodadvisor.com so no need to post the link. I like reading it but but would prefer to go with experience related to field trial and hunting dogs.

I have decided to stay local and buy what is available from local feed stores and not grocery stores, Chewy.com or some of the other pet stores. Fortunately, I can get Purina Pro Plan, Victor, Diamond, Sportsman Pride and Pro Pac from local business so the solution is not far away.

Let me know if you have specific experience with any of the above good or bad and if you stopped using a feed, why. Thanks.
What are you feeding your pups and adult hunting dogs? I am getting a couple of new pups over the next 12 months and I am revisiting what I have fed my dogs in the past. One of the brands I previously used isn't locally available anymore and that (and boredom) got me thinking and researching

new feed.

Spoonbill

WKR
The trainer I sent my dog to reccommended Hi Standard (https://histandarddogfood.com/) It is available at Sportsmans as well as a few other places. Per the trainer, it is made with high quality ingredients and she had switched over from Purina. My dog seems to like it but he is a lab so the bar is set pretty low for a taste test.

slick

WKR
Fed taste of the wild for years

Switched over to PPP 30/20. Year and a half ago.

It’s too hot for my gf’s dog and she blows her coat if she eats it frequently and my dog is on the older side of things, so maybe bump the protein content back down in a year or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Victor hi-pro plus (teal bag) 30/20. It’s for puppies, mothers, and active dogs. Never had a recall. No corn soy wheat or gluten. Still comes in 40# bag as everyone else switches to 33 and charges the same. Made in one factory in Texas.

What you find a lot of times is one week A factory is making diamond. Then the next Purina. So when you get a recall it’s across several brands.
Fed it to my lab till he passed. Now feeding it to my GSP. The breeder told me his mom had corn issues and I assured him he had no worries with the food I planed on using. When I dropped him off at the trainer the trainer said he used the same.

my dad who breeds bulldogs liked it so much he got a distributor license so he could feed half the pallet to his dogs and sell the other half.

WCB

WKR
We feed Taste of the Wild. (2 French Brittanys and previously a Springer) Father in Law also feeds his Frenches it. No complaints what so ever on it. Great coats, hold weight, and absolutely no lack of energy and they are hunted hard. Plus when not in season we are training and when not training they run around like freaks most everyday ALL day.

Gridbox

FNG
Started my golden on Orijen and have switched to Fromm. I like to switch up flavors every couple months to add variety. I have been thinking about rotating PPP in the mix.

She is a family + waterfowl + upland dog. So she’s not a full time hunter, just as much as we can get out during the season. We do train at our retriever club once a month.

Around 10 months old she got meningitis and she didn’t eat well while on the meds. To keep her weight up I feed her Satin Balls. Even after her recovery I still feed her Satin Balls in the morning on hunting days to give her an extra calorie boost.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
One of the dog foods I have been looking at is Sportsmans Pride. It is made in Alabama and they are a sponsor of the National Championship in Tennessee. It is made by Sunshine Mills and after some research I found that Sunshine is SQF certified. From their website:

The SQF Certification Program for the manufacturing of pet food is required to meet the same exacting standards as those found for the manufacture of food for human consumption. Sunshine Mills is proud to have achieved and maintain the SQF Certification at each of its manufacturing facilities. Needless to say, we are very proud of this achievement and our Quality Assurance Team is tirelessly working to improve our processes to not only meet today’s standards but tomorrow’s as well.

I have also determined that Victor is also SQF certified. I am not an expert but it seems that this type of certification is something to consider. It would seem to provide some level of assurance on quality and consistency. Maybe food safety. I haven't found anything yet on Diamond or Purina. I might email them for clarification.

The dog probably won't notice but I thought I would mention it.

As a follow up and FWIW, I sent an email to Diamond and asked if they were SQF certified and they confirmed that every manufacturing plant in the US is certified.

I am comfortable with any of these at this point. Will likely pick one when I get my new pups, see how they do and change to one of the others if needed.

KurtR

WKR
Fed diamond to both my dogs before the puppy I just got but it’s not agreeing with him so ordered up some eukanuba as it has came highly recommend from some trainers.

EJMK

FNG
Been feeding my chocolate lab Black Gold Premium since she was about 10 months. When we first brought her home she had a terrible bacteria intestinal issue and couldn’t get over diarrhea. Our vet recommended the Black Gold for the high quality and said a lot of lion guys feed this to their dogs for the nutrition/energy quality and there is a local distributor I get it from. We keep her slimmed down pretty well and she has no issues after 2 years. I highly recommend it.

Rogue1980

FNG
Pro Plan for my pack. They seem happy and healthy. They are definitely old. New pup coming next week will be getting some fancy puppy food.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Purina Pro Plan Savor for my lab. It's what the breeder was feeding her when I got her. I looked into switching but after reading reviews on the internet and having a coworkers daughter who is a vet highly recommended pro plan was all I needed to hear to stick with it.

Coldtrail

WKR
I prefer American Natural Premium in summer and the Endurance formula in winter. I buy a pallet at a time so the price is around $30 a bag. I tried Diamond for a year & decided it was poor grade, even opened up a bag or two that smelled somewhat like raw sewage. If you Google d
Diamond they have had a few issues over the years so I put them maybe a grade above Ol Roy.

I have running hounds, they have done extremely well on this American Natural food despite it not being "premium", I do know for almost every dog I've had it took alot of exercise and cold temps to burn anything 30/20 or above so I always felt a lot of people might be overfeeding their dogs, but I'm not a bird dog breeder so obviously could be off base.

Taste of the Wild here, for two very active hunting dogs. It is the only brand I have found that I have not had allergy issues with also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk